1969 GIRM - Finally

One of the hardest documents to find. Enjoy. (Latin)

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2011/09/most-important-historical-document-1969.html

Thanks Charles, very interesting.

Greetings At Trent,

Thank you I have been seraching long and hard for this. I wonder why it has been so hard to find.

Is there an English translation of it anywhere?

God Bless you.
Anathama Sit

Yes, this was pointed out a few years ago in Gamber’s book.

…Apparently the designation of the Mass in the first edition of the Novus Ordo as “the Lord’s Supper of the holy gathering or assembly of the people of God, as they come together, into one [body], with the priest as presider and taking on the persona of Christ, to celebrate the memorial of the Lord.” has its source in the Protestant theology of the Abendmahl rite, the commemorative meal.The fact that this particular definition of the Mass appears in a document bearing the signature of Pope Paul VI, and that it became necessary later to correct it, is a painful obvious indication of how confused things are in our Church today.

Footnotes:

Original text: Cena dominica sive Missa est sacra synaxis seu congregatio populi Dei in unum convenientis sacerdote praeside personamque Christi gerente, ad memoriale Domini celebrandum, Article 7, Editio typica, p. 15

Abendmahl: literally translated as “Evening Meal,” or “Supper”; generally referred to as “The Lord’s Supper.”

The revised text is: In missa seu Cena dominca populus Dei in unum convocatur, sacerdote praeside personamque Christi gerente, ad memoriale Domini seu sacrificium eucharisticum celebrandum (“In the Mass, or Supper of the Lord, the people of God are called together into one body, with the priest as presider and taking on the persona of Christ in order to celebrate the Memorial of the Lord, or the Eucharistic Sacrifice” (Article 7, Missale Romanum, Editio typica, Vatican, 1970), p. 29

The Reform of the Liturgy, Monsignor Gamber, 1993, Una Voce Press

Very noteworthy here is that although the words “seu sacrificium eucharisticum celebrandum” were added to the definition, the text of the Mass remained unchanged.

Awesome, thanks for the link.

Google Translate English

translate.google.com/translate?sl=la&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Frorate-caeli.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F09%2Fmost-important-historical-document-1969.html

Greetings Infonote,

My appreciation in you answering my query.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

Change the wording, but the form of the Mass is still the same. We live in a time of great confusion within the Church.

At Trent:
Thanks so much for posting this. This really is an important document, at least historically, if not for additional reasons even as we witness the promulgation of a new 2011 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM). I would be merely speculating if I gave a reason for why I think the original 1969 version may have been so hard to find for all these years.

ProVobis:
I find a discrepancy between the wording of the famous Article 7. of the 1969 GIRM from Monsignor Gamber’s book as you cite it and what Rorate Caeli has, including the text reproduced as page 15 of the original document in the attachment:

“7. Cena dominica sive Missa est sacra synaxis seu congregatio populi Dei in unum convenientis, sacerdote praeside, ad memoriale Domini celebrandum…”

which Rorate Caeli translates as:

“7. The Lord’s Supper, or Mass, is the sacred meeting or congregation of the people of God assembled, the priest presiding, to celebrate the memorial of the Lord…”

The words “personamque Christi gerente” / “taking on the persona of Christ” appear to be a correction made to the 1970 edition of the GIRM and not to be part of the first 1969 GIRM, just as “seu sacrificium eucharisticum” / “or the Eucharistic sacrifice” was a 1970 “correction” to the original text. It seems quite likely that these and other “corrections” in the 1970 edition were made in response to the document delivered to Pope Paul VI by Cardinals Ottaviani and Bacci on September 25, 1969 entitled “A Brief Critical Study of the New Order of the Mass,” the original GIRM itself having been released April 3, 1969. That document, sometimes called the “Ottaviani Intervention,” can be found at:

ewtn.com/library/curia/reformof.htm#1

What influence, if any, the “Brief Critical Study…” may have had on the actual form of the Mass in later years remains a subject of continuing debate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.