1st gay group to March in New York City St. Patricks Day parade

7online.com/society/1st-gay-group-to-march-in-nyc-st-patricks-day-parade/292533/

For 2015, and His Eminence Cardinal Dolan is the grand marshal, not sure I am pleased about this, what say you?:confused:

They caved to public pressure. Gay groups apply relentless pressure to get their way and eventually the public gives in because they get tired of fighting it. Being the Grand Marshall of the St. Patrick’s Day parade is in no way an endorsement of the gay group marching in it, so I wouldn’t hold it against Cardinal Dolan, whom I greatly admire.

The article states that Cardinal Dolan supports gay groups marching in the parade. This doesn’t mean he supports gay behavior, only that he supports gay people as an inclusive part of New York City and that they should not be discriminated against. I agree with him on this point.

The problem is that they aren’t marching as New Yorkers, they’re marching as gays. They’re not marching as chaste men and women who have same sex attraction, they are marching as active homosexuals. In a parade that’s supposed to be dedicated to a Saint who spent his life converting pagans and suffered greatly for Christ and his Church.

These are grave sins in which these people are promoting and the Cardinal just says “bravo.” Just as he was happy to be introduced to the pro gay group in another local NYC church. Yes, homosexuals should be treated with dignity and as human beings just as anyone else. However, that doesn’t mean that their acts of sin should not be condemned.

When I hear Cardinal Dolan actually speak out on the morality of homosexuality as taught by the Church, I’ll give him props. Until then I’m not happy with his lack of guts on any of these difficult issues. As a bishop it is his duty to set the record straight and if need be take the beating from the media and any other groups. He needs to carry the cross not embrace the culture. If people don’t like it then it’s not our problem. You either stand with the Church and ALL of its beliefs or you are not a Catholic, plain and simple.

Cardinal Dolan should remove himself as the Grand Marshal.

Instead

The statement said the parade was “remaining loyal to church teachings,” and O’Reilly said Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who is to be the parade’s grand marshal next year, was “very supportive” of the change.

Dolan said last year he supported the participation of gay people.

“I know that there are thousands and thousands of gay people marching in this parade,” he said. “And I’m glad they are.”

Scandalous.

This is an employee resource group.
There is no reason Dolan wouldn’t or shouldn’t support their inclusion to walk in the parade, so good on him.

The group didn’t “apply relentless pressure” and the public didn’t “give in”.
This group simply applied on paper, and they were unanimously approved. That is all.
Why make it such a negative drama when it wasn’t and stir up anger that doesn’t need to be there?

This has always confused me. What exactly is “the culture”?

I believe that it would be wrong to unjustly discriminate against those who suffer from same sex attraction. However, the question is this: Would forbidding them to participate in the parade be unjust discrimination? Personally, I am not sure.

A couple of things bother me about this news item. The first is that I am sure the activists of the homosexual agenda pushed very hard to be allowed to participate in the parade. I honestly would not be surprised if it didn’t involve some sort of bullying or even threats. I say this because I believe it is well known that activists of the homosexual agenda can be relentless in getting their way.

Another thing that bothers me about this is that it would seem that this group is probably one of the typical left wing homosexual agenda activist groups which seek not just “gay marriage” but a plethora of other cultural changes. I also believe that this type of group likely sees absolutely nothing wrong with unchaste behavior. Because of these things, it bothers me that they are participating in a Saint Patrick’s Day Parade for the simple reason that what they stand for is immoral and I know Saint Patrick would not approve.

This also confuses me. What exactly is “the agenda”?

Wonderful! People all too often forget Saint Patricks day while it began as a Catholic Holiday has also become so much more than that as well, it’s the Irish equivalent of the 4th of July and suprise of suprises, homosexuals can be patriotic too.

Long overdue! Wonderful news :clapping:

There have always been gay people in the parade.

This is strictly about an openly gay group (political group) now marching as such and their inclusion in a Saint Patrick’s(Catholic) parade.

Cardinal Dolan should not be supporting this.

Hidden amongst the fold, told that they have to cover up and can’t openly share what they deem to be a crucial part of their self identity.

Cardinal Dolan at long last seems to have developed an awareness of PR; He’s not defying any regulations by letting them parade (They’re being allowed to identify as being gay, that does not mean Dolan is giving a thumbs up to “active” homosexuality). If anything, he’s doing something that might shine the Catholic Church in a slightly more favorable light.

Whats the alternative anyway? Dropping out and causing another scandal to make people point at the headlines and go “Oh, the Church still hates the gays I see”. This seems rather more diplomatic.

The Church does not hates the “gay” male or female.

The is an openly political gay group and the article says that Carinal Dolan supports this change of who can march in the parade.

It is scandelous.

Cardinal Dolan is a major figure in the Church and has to stand up for church teaching. By endorsing this change, the the inclusion of this political group, he fails.

Keep St. Patrick in St. Patrick’s Day, right?

Now they are reporting it is because of the Pope.

Dolan’s positive response may also indicate how much the dynamic within the Catholic Church on gays and lesbians has shifted since the election of Pope Francis last year. Francis has made it clear he wants church leaders to highlight Catholicism’s outreach to the poor and vulnerable rather than always fighting culture war issues on gay marriage and the like.

“If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” Francis famously said last year — a line that has come to symbolize a new openness on this issue, and a sentiment that seemed to be reflected in Dolan’s statement in response to the parade change.

religionnews.com/2014/09/03/gay-parade-catholic-cardinal-dolan/

Again one word -scandalous.

The New York Times’ report on this predictably mentions the Holy Father’s “who am I to judge” comment, but they forget that in that very same interview he explicitly condemns homosexual “lobbying.” I’m pretty sure this would qualify as the kind of lobbying that holds boycotts over heads if they refuse to legitimize the gay lifestyle.

You can boycott what you like and have all of the gay banners in the parade you want, but it doesn’t make the savagery of the gay lifestyle any less wrong.

I know the knee jerk reaction to this is that it is “scandalous”, but even Bill Donahue doesn’t seem bothered by this. Here is his statement:

Never in the history of New York’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade have homosexuals been barred from marching, anymore than pro-life Catholics have, but in both cases they were not permitted to have their own unit. I have been assured that the rules have been formally changed to allow both of these groups, as well as others, to march under their own banner. That being the case, there should be no controversy. One would hope that all the new entries will conduct themselves in a manner that honors St. Patrick, lest another round of controversy emerges.

If even Bill Donahue – ever vigilant Catholic watch dog that he is – says “there should be no controversy”, everyone should stand up and take note. :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s not get angry just for the sake of getting angry. In terms of choosing one’s battles, this is not one I’d be inclined to pursue.

As Donahue said, the new rules also allow pro-life groups to carry banners. Everyone wins here.

I actually long for the day when bishops are too busy hearing confessions, feeding the poor, comforting widows, and visiting prisoners to be grand marshals in parades that very few even realize were originally supposed to honor great saints of the Church.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that this is where Pope Francis is trying to lead the Church, too. But the whole “who am I to judge” thing is more interesting to talk about, so I suspect that we’ll likely hear more about that than what is really happening in the Church today.

IMO, His Eminence should be proactively clear about what he is supporting and what he isn’t. Has he shed more light on his comment on Meet the Press in the spring? It gave a lot of people the idea that he supports or condones Michael Sam’s living a homosexual lifestyle.

So far, it seems all the Catholic posters are opposed to gays marching in the parade because they say it is a political statement and, furthermore, they state that Cardinal Dolan’s being the Grand Marshal is scandalous, while the non-Catholics support the inclusion of the gay marchers and applaud Cardinal Dolan. Are there any Catholics out there who support the Cardinal and believe that his participation in the parade is not an endorsement of homosexuality but rather an endorsement of human dignity? The latter endorsement is a political statement, and in my view an appropriate one for Catholic and non-Catholic alike. There is nothing scandalous about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.