1st May- Divine Mercy Sunday. Does every parish celebrate this?

I had a look at the Masses at my praish for the 1st May and they don’t mention the feast of the Divine Mercy. Shall I assume that we will be celebrating it?

In another town, I know you can go there for a few hours and I think there are prayers etc for the Divine Mercy, but I don’t think I can make it.

P.S: My birthday is falling on Divine Mercy Sunday- my favourite devotion :slight_smile:

Your parish may be like mine, no mention of Divine Mercy Sunday and nothing special planned. That seems to be more the norm than the exception based on what I’ve read on these forums in the last couple of years.

The Octave of Easter is also [now] known as Divine Mercy Sunday.

Your parish, and every parish will be celebrating Divine Mercy Sunday. There may not be special activities planned at your parish; but you can still (and should) obtain the plenary indulgence by fulfilling the conditions associated:

Three conditions for the plenary indulgence

And so the Supreme Pontiff, motivated by an ardent desire to foster in Christians this devotion to Divine Mercy as much as possible in the hope of offering great spiritual fruit to the faithful, in the Audience granted on 13 June 2002, to those Responsible for the Apostolic Penitentiary, granted the following Indulgences:

a plenary indulgence, granted under the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer for the intentions of Supreme Pontiff) to the faithful who, on the Second Sunday of Easter or Divine Mercy Sunday, in any church or chapel, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, take part in the prayers and devotions held in honour of Divine Mercy, or who, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament exposed or reserved in the tabernacle, recite the Our Father and the Creed, adding a devout prayer to the merciful Lord Jesus (e.g. Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!");

The full decree concerning the indulgence can be found at the Vatican’s website:
vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20020629_decree-ii_en.html

God bless,

No possibility of gaining an indulgence in my parish since we won’t have a priest that weekend. Pastor will still be away to the Mission.

We don’t have a seperate Mass for Divine Mercy because every Mass celebrated that day is for the Second Sunday of Easter/Divine Mercy Sunday. No need for a seperate Mass as the readings are for the Sunday. We do have a 3:00 service which exposition, chanting the Divine Mercy Chaplet, readings and the litany of Divine Mercy praises. Depending if the priests come over we may have confessions. Some years we do some times we don’t if we don’t have the priests. But you don’t necessarily need to go to confession on that day to receive the indulgence. I think it within 10 or 20 days.

Thank you for all your replies!

Do you think the Priest is likely to even mention St. Faustina or anything related to the Divine Mercy?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.