2 Boys With Cerebral Palsy Helped By Adult Stem Cell Research

2 best friends, both with cerebral palsy, embarked on a journey in which a community came together to help raise money for a stem cell treatment that is now changing their lives.

Dominic King and Harrison Spiers, both 10 years old, from Englewood, Colorado went to Germany in August 2009, to receive stem cell therapy using adult stem cells taken from their own bodies.

Harrison's father said the procedure is not related to the use of embryonic stem cells.

"There's been a lot of debate on health care, and stem cells. This is not controversial. They are taking it from (Harrison's) own body and putting it back in his own body. It's here and now, not maybe 30 years from now," he said.

But the procedure is not done in the United States, so the boys would have to raise thousands of dollars and travel to Germany. Fortunately, their school and their community stepped up and made it possible.

"It's amazing. I know we keep saying that word, but truly is," Alicia Spears. "(We) hear it everyday on the news…people are being laid off, unemployment numbers are up, money is tight. And yet, people in this neighborhood and this community found a way to write checks."

"It hit me, I started crying in the car and thought this is just unbelievable what people will do," Christina King said.

Hopefully, this is a turning point in which the media now focuses on stem cell research that is NOW helping people daily- adult stem cell therapy to be exact. I think the tide is turning and no longer are the media infatuated with these scientists who give good quotes about the potential of embryonic stem cells, but never "show us the money". The only people helped by embryonic stem cell research are the scientists who get paid with our tax dollars.

A very happy new year to all of you and let's get the word out about adult stem cells- maybe we can get it here in the USA some day soon (perhaps I am too caught up in the New Year excitement :).

You can see the whole stem cell research video for cerebral palsy here.

[quote="repairstemcells, post:1, topic:181467"]
2 best friends, both with cerebral palsy, embarked on a journey in which a community came together to help raise money for a stem cell treatment that is now changing their lives.

Dominic King and Harrison Spiers, both 10 years old, from Englewood, Colorado went to Germany in August 2009, to receive stem cell therapy using adult stem cells taken from their own bodies.

Harrison's father said the procedure is not related to the use of embryonic stem cells.

"There's been a lot of debate on health care, and stem cells. This is not controversial. They are taking it from (Harrison's) own body and putting it back in his own body. It's here and now, not maybe 30 years from now," he said.

But the procedure is not done in the United States, so the boys would have to raise thousands of dollars and travel to Germany. Fortunately, their school and their community stepped up and made it possible.

"It's amazing. I know we keep saying that word, but truly is," Alicia Spears. "(We) hear it everyday on the news…people are being laid off, unemployment numbers are up, money is tight. And yet, people in this neighborhood and this community found a way to write checks."

"It hit me, I started crying in the car and thought this is just unbelievable what people will do," Christina King said.

Hopefully, this is a turning point in which the media now focuses on stem cell research that is NOW helping people daily- adult stem cell therapy to be exact. I think the tide is turning and no longer are the media infatuated with these scientists who give good quotes about the potential of embryonic stem cells, but never "show us the money". The only people helped by embryonic stem cell research are the scientists who get paid with our tax dollars.

A very happy new year to all of you and let's get the word out about adult stem cells- maybe we can get it here in the USA some day soon (perhaps I am too caught up in the New Year excitement :).

You can see the whole stem cell research video for cerebral palsy here.

[/quote]

It's my understanding the church never had a problem with stem cell research per se, but with where the stem cells were coming from.

[quote="Bob_Crowley, post:2, topic:181467"]
It's my understanding the church never had a problem with stem cell research per se, but with where the stem cells were coming from.

[/quote]

The CC only has a problem with killing one person to help another person. That is what embryonic stem cells do. This story is about adult stem cells, which is taken from ones own body. This is the future and the only hope.

Thank you Don for posting these wonderful news stories. Keep them coming.:thumbsup:

http://www.stemcellresearch.org/images/thescore_73-0.jpg[stemcellresearch.org/](http://www.stemcellresearch.org/)

Yes, thank you St. Lucy. It will be my pleasure to keep them coming-- until I see adult stem cells available in the United States.

I've always thought cerebral palsy can only be treated with physical therapy, speech therapy, and medication. I must admit I am not really familiar with adult stem cell, thanks for sharing the video.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.