2 Deacons Ordained on EWTN - Old Rite or New Rite?

I'm watching the Ordination of two deacons on EWTN right now and the church is currently chanting the Litany of Saints while the deacons are lying face down on their stomachs.

What a beautiful ceremony.

Are all OF ordinations done the same way or is it done that way because it is on EWTN. I know EWTN has a very reverent OF mass.

Father's Z's blog has a poll going on regarding whether seminarians would prefer to be ordained in the new rite or old rite.

Anyone know the difference? Does EWTN use the old or new rite - whatever that means?

Edited: Is the rite very different for priests?

I didn't see the diaconate ordination on EWTN but I have been to a large number of diaconate ordinations and prostration and the Litany of the Saints IS part of the rite in the ordinary form. Also the rite for transitional deacons and permanent deacons is the same, except for a few slight changes like an address to the wives (which might be optional) at the rite for permanent deacons.

Are these men who are being ordained to be transitional deacons or are they permanent deacons?

[quote="PacoG, post:4, topic:240966"]
Are these men who are being ordained to be transitional deacons or are they permanent deacons?

[/quote]

They were ordained as transitional deacons, meaning that their ordination as priests will be some time next year.

Oh, that will be cool! I think it's been some time since there were any new MFVA priests! That will be a big help down there at EWTN and the Shrine in Hanceville!

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:5, topic:240966"]
They were ordained as transitional deacons, meaning that their ordination as priests will be some time next year.

Oh, that will be cool! I think it's been some time since there were any new MFVA priests! That will be a big help down there at EWTN and the Shrine in Hanceville!

[/quote]

It seems that Deacon Bill is the only permanent deacon at EWTN. How come?

Several years ago, there used to be another permanent deacon, a middle MFVA brother named Br. Deacon Pius Mary (not to be confused with Fr. Pio Marie). Whatever became of him? He disappeared around the same time that Fr. Augustin Mary Hedderman left the order to become a dioceasean priest.

Deacon Bill is married, and he was already ordained to the permanent diaconate before he met Mother Angelica.

I didn’t know that there was a permanent deacon among the MFVAs. This is the first I’ve heard of him.

But I remember the former Father Augustine Mary-when I visited EWTN the first time in 1998 I went to confession to him. He was AWESOME! :thumbsup: For once, I found a priest who UNDERSTOOD where I was coming from! I even had a picture taken of him with me outside the chapel afterwards! He was soooo nice!

Last I heard, he was the pastor of the local parish in Irondale-just down the road from the network and his former religious community!

I've been to several OF Ordinations. They have all involved the profound prostration with the accompaning Litany of the Saints.

Here’s a picture from an Ordination at St. Peters.

valtorta.org/images/ordinationPriestsStPetersBasilica.jpg

I was able to watch the Ordination Mass via EWTN's YouTube link. It was very nice.

But boy, that Litany of the Saints was pretty long! And everyone had to stand for it! I think the only ones who were 'comfortable' were the two Brothers who were prostrate on the floor! It made me have a backache just watching it! ;)

It was also the first time I heard applause in the chapel, when Bishop Baker invited everyone present to clap after the new deacons were presented with their stoles and dalmatics. I saw that Brother Leonard had a little trouble getting his on! :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.