2 men sentenced to probation for gang-rape of 13-year-old girl, triggering backlash

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/09/2-men-sentenced-to-probation-for-gang-rape-13-year-old-girl-triggering-backlash.html

2 men sentenced to probation for gang-rape of 13-year-old girl, triggering backlash
By Nicole Darrah | Fox News
A family in Colorado is outraged after two men, who were accused of gang-raping a 13-year-old girl with their brothers and cousins, were only sentenced to probation. . . .
. . . Arrest records, KKTV reported, state that two of the men then pulled the teen from the bathroom and forced her into a bedroom where the other four suspects were waiting.
The victim’s grandmother said at a sentencing in February that her granddaughter was passed around the group of men “like a hand on a clock” during the attack. She added in court Tuesday that the 13-year-old may never be able to have children. . . .

(Emphasis mine)

Heartbreaking news. Praying for all involved here.

1 Like

The article did not mention any backlash, but I have to say that I fear sentences like this and other similar ones will result in people taking thenlaw into their own hands. This is very sad.

The American justice system at work.

1 Like

It looks like they got a plea deal. Though I don’t see all the terms of the deal. Unfortunately this isn’t unusual; there have been other crimes in which someone is able to get a reduced sentence in exchange for identifying the others that are involved. One detail of the deal that was available though was that if they ever violate the terms of their deal then they will be locked sentenced to an indeterminate amount of time.

If I am ever called to jury duty, I will make it known that I will complete ignore any testimony that is purchased at the price of a plea deal. This case highlights the fact that . . . how can I say this charitably? The term “American justice system” is missing its middle. How’s that?

D

1 Like

One of my attorney friends has expressed disgust in plea deals as she has seen many a man that has touched underage girls that has gotten off with a relatively light punishment because of a plea deal. She says some of them come from the attorney’s having a lot of cases and prefering to make a deal to get the case off of their desk.

Unfortunately this is typical. The government is more into crimes that make them money like drugs than into crimes that actually hurt people. Had the raped girl been a pile of cocaine then these guys would serve time.

A plea deal is still a conviction win for the prosecution. I’m not against the practice but I don’t think it should result in effectively no punishment.

Depending on the terms of the probation a relatively light infraction may be all that’s needed for them to get a stiffer penalty.

The story doesn’t give us much to go on. There may have been reasons for the plea deal – as you point out, these men may have agreed to testify against the other accused men.

Or the case may have been weak – perhaps the victim couldn’t identify her attackers conclusively.

I don’t know enough about this case to say if the plea deal was a good one or not, but sometimes there are things that necessitate plea deals that don’t make it into the papers.

1 Like

Good chance you’ll never be put on a criminal jury, then.

True. The government stacks the deck to get convictions. Our modern legal system is a disgrace.

I wouldn’t be trying to evade jury duty, but if they really want me on the panel, they will have to take me as I am.

D

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.