2 MPD officers on paid leave for posting 'disgusting' social media

Memphis Police Department clarified that two officers have been relieved of duty with pay following a social media post Mayor Jim Strickland described as “offensive and completely wrong.”

Interim MPD Director Mike Rallings and Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland announced that the city and MPD will thoroughly investigate the offensive social media post.

“At this point, two MPD officers have been relieved of duty. The image is disgusting and will not be tolerated. We will conduct a thorough investigation and the individuals responsible will be held responsible,” Rallings said during his press conference.

The image being cited as the image that got the two officers in trouble is a Snapchat picture of a gun being pointed at an emoji of a black man.

Institutional and systemic racist behavior can be changed when swift and unequivocal and consequences are given. If police officers were immediately fired for generating and sharing racist images, instances of racist image sharing would go down to zero.

Racist image sharing might go down, but what about the underlying attitudes? Those are what contribute to the problems we are having from both sides–whites and blacks.

We need to think outside the box. If you want a deeper opinion of what is wrong, read my book Biotech Swirl, a FREE fictional medical mystery ebook. It is at the link here:

womanatwell.blogspot.com/p/biotech-swirl.html .

See what you think. Hint: it has to do with what we think about evolution.

They need to change the type of people they consider to be good candidates for police officers, maybe people coming from the military are not the best choice to staff PDs? Maybe the level of authority they have is the problem, and over time, they sort of become accustomed to it and use it to their advantage.

There was a very good experiment done at Stanford back in the 80s, about people in authority positions (prison guards) and inmates, they actually had to shut the experiment down due to so many problems with the students playing the role of guards, abusing their power.

Having studied that experiment I debate its utility in these kinds of situations. In the experiment the “guards” were not given the training and limitations of authority that law enforcement and corrections officers have. The “guards” were essentially given unlimited authority and the “inmates” were stripped of all rights. This is simply not the case of real world law enforcement. If anyone did the kinds of things that the students in the experiment did they would loose their job and be subject to a vast multitude of criminal and civil charges.

As seen in the topic at hand the officers have been placed on administrative leave pending investigations and may loose their jobs if not more. Seems an appropriate course of action depending on if the investigation shows up anything of more interest. It looks like someone posted something extremely stupid and will likely face some serious consequences.

In my experience most veterans make excellent law enforcement with the occasional exception. There are a lot of similar skills, though some notable differences.

What kind of people do you propose as better suited for police work than those already chosen and employed? So the system is the problem? They don’t hire the right kinds of people to be police officers? I’d love to hear how our current crop are deficient and with whom you would have them all replaced.

Or is the problem related to a certain level of authority, that over time causes police officers, all police officers, to use it to their advantage? So our current police officers would be ok if they had a different level of authority? Or would they still need to be replaced to be ok? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this new level of authority police officers should work under.

And your stanford social experiment citation. So what? Tell us again how that has anything to do with police officers? The two are so far removed from each other that I’m embarrassed for you for comparing the two.

I reject your ignorant musings as just that. Ignorant.

And the government thinks only police have the proper judgement to have guns…

ChurchSoldier stated . . .

Quote:
And the government thinks only police have the proper judgement to have guns…

I’ll echo that comment.

This exposes (again) the false assumption of many of the gun controllers . . .

That citizens with guns = bad.

That police with guns necessarily = good.

The truth is: Good citizens should be free to make these choices for themselves in conformity with the Second Amendment.

And good police are . . . well . . . “good”.

The truth is, as ChurchSoldier implies, people should be judged in this regard as individuals. Not as race groups, etc.

God bless.

Cathoholic

PS

Siegehammer. You said . . .

QUOTE:
If police officers were immediately fired for generating and sharing racist images, instances of racist image sharing would go down to zero.

Part of the unspoken root of this problem is a general “cheapness” or disregard for human life.

Abortion is one of the modern hallmarks pulling back the proverbial curtain of the interior lives of people today.

Contraception is part of that type of attitude as well. And we were forwarned about this from the Church.

HUMANAE VITAE Responsible men can become more deeply convinced of the truth of the doctrine laid down by the Church on this issue if they reflect on the consequences of methods and plans for artificial birth control. Let them first consider how easily this course of action could open wide the way for marital infidelity and a general lowering of moral standards. . . .
. . .Finally, careful consideration should be given to the danger of this power passing into the hands of those public authorities who care little for the precepts of the moral law. . .
. . . These limits are expressly imposed because of the reverence due to the whole human organism and . . . a correct understanding of the “principle of totality” . . . (HV Section 17)

Sex ed., contraception, and abortion are all intertwined. (And this spills over to the rest of morality)

Many Catholics don’t see the links between these evils.

But the “cheerleaders” of abortion see it. And laud it.

Planned Parenthood (link emphasis mine) . . .

QUOTE:
"Reproductive justice entails sex education…It also requires birth control that is affordable, with legal and therefore safe abortion available to all”

Now back to your comment . . .

QUOTE:
If police officers were immediately fired for generating and sharing racist images, instances of racist image sharing would go down to zero.

No I don’t think it would go down to “zero”. (I am not in any way suggesting posts like the Memphis Police officer(s) allegedly posted are OK)

Why would the problem NOT go down to zero?

We still have the problem of other people in authority sharing racist and bigoted images, and in some cases being congratulated for it!

How so?

Consider for a moment, MN Governor Mark Dayton’s bigoted anti-police statement (here with bold mine).

Amid local and national criticism, Gov. Mark Dayton on Friday did not retract his comments that race played a role in the fatal police shooting of Philando Castile, an African-American man.

“. . . I stand by what I said yesterday,” Dayton said, who added that law enforcement officials have “expressed their displeasure” at his comments. “What I said yesterday, I stand by.”

In response to the shooting of Castile by police after a Falcon Heights traffic stop Wednesday evening, Dayton, a Democrat, said: “Would this have happened if … the driver and passenger would have been white? I don’t think it would.”

Should Dayton be “immediately fired” for this?

I don’t know how the “immediacy” would work, but the problem is the voters are not “firing” people like Dayton for comments like this.

Because we are not taught to be people of principle, these principles sometimes get violated to scorn, and other times these SAME PRINCIPLES (against bigotry and racism) are violated to proverbial cheers depending on if the bigotry is aimed at “politically correct targets” (or who it came from).

Christianity seems to be in vogue as a politically correct target of bigotry these days, especially Catholic Christianity.

If the Memphis comments were directed against “whitey” should the cop be fired?

Is it OK NOT to fire athletes when they call one another “the n word”?

Should THEY be given a pass if they are black? Or should we hold ALL to the same principle and standard?

Should president Obama be given a pass when he uses handicapped people for cheap jokes? (link)

How about Richard Pryor “comedy” talks? Are THESE OK?

So when vitriol is aimed at one group to cheers, we should not be surprised when it spills over to other groups.

Disappointed yes, but not surprised.

How about . . .

If politicians were immediately fired for generating and sharing racist and bigoted verbal media images, instances of racist and bigoted image sharing would go down dramatically.

In the meantime we are stuck with some issues that stem from the heart of us as individuals.

And more Government rules and regulations won’t be able to repair this. We need a change of heart. We need more of Jesus Christ.

The prevalence of guns in the hands of private citizens is a significant factor in these latest police shootings. Police know they are taking their lives into their own hands with each traffic stop, and that makes them trigger happy, which is understandable though wrong. Armed citizens in public make the police’ job 10 times tougher than it already is.

All police who make traffic stops are trigger happy? Of course not its an unfounded attack of policing.

The requirements for police positions have gotten tougher as the country has lost so many jobs and police work can offer a decent living
Many departments require some college and the number of grads increased in the last 20 years, My son has a BS and MS in criminal justice with another MS in public adminstration
The problem is the requirements for candidates eliminates so many .
You initially have to pass a written test
Then an oral test in an interview format
If you get that far a background test is performed all but traffic or misdemeanors will disqualify you.
Drug use among young people is huge and passing a drug test is mandatory.
Passing a phycological test , and lie
Detector are also requirements
They ask all kinds of personal questions designed to illiminate you
Physical fitness is also necessary like a 2 mile run obstacle course,
Some towns require swimming skills
My son is a 24 year veteran and he believes most combat veterans make poor candidates
The rules if engagement are different and many veterans have PTSD.
The only thing I would change is a greater emphasis on oral skills
This skill will help calm the situation down. It usually only works with rational people
Having been on ride alongs that’s about half the people you encounter
The other problem is the testing is not strictly adhered to
My son actually placed in the top in the written but was never asked back for an oral
Politics and nepotism prevail in certain areas
I would love to see candidates for president subject to the same rigors
The lie Detector would be interesting

Social Justice Warriors have no sense of proportion. This is an extreme overreaction to trivial event.

Lynch already addressed policing with her guide for 21 century policing.

cops.usdoj.gov/Default.asp?Item=2828

Over the next few weeks, members of the President’s Cabinet will travel across the country to lift up some of these cities where local leaders have successfully partnered with federal agencies, foundations, private sector partners and police departments to improve the quality of life in their communities. Secretary Castro will visit Fullerton, CA, Kansas City, and St. Louis; Secretary Duncan will travel to Philadelphia; Secretary Foxx will travel to Charlotte; Secretary Perez will travel to Minneapolis, New Haven, and Pittsburgh; Secretary Vilsack will travel to Memphis; and Attorney General Lynch will travel to Cincinnati as part of a national Community Policing tour.

whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/05/18/10-cities-making-real-progress-launch-21st-century-policing-task-force

They have been in Memphis so perhaps the WH can enlighten us since I see nothing that states institutional and systemic racist behavior are an on-going issue.

If you work in the public sector as I do, it’s just good form to avoid this kind of nonsense in order to keep the public trust.

However, firing someone over Facebook may be silly because of the time and resources it takes to train personnel.

Left-wing progressive activists can’t have proportionate responses. If they did, they’d lose every time on an even playing field.

Actually, it’d make their job a lot harder because instead of just stopping people, they’d be busy drawing more chalk-lines because an unarmed citizenry is what crime bosses have wanted since the very beginning and the average police response time in the USA is over 20 minutes.

The rate of criminal success would sky-rocket.

But we sure have to have a humble conversation about this theory of a inherently racist country. Which supposedly permeated the Justice system and led to institutional and systemic racist behavior and assumedly elsewhere.

Seems to suggest to we are racist and always have been and will be, and with this narrative I see no solution to calm.

I could give my personal opinion right off but no-one including the right will like it. So we have to contend with calm rational and reasonable proportionate response.

These racial flare ups are quite difficult to calm and deadly because of anger and frustration, so we certainly need to address this to curb a frequency of this narrative turning protest to violent deadly protest and resolve our never ending racism.

I meant to say that makes some police trigger-happy. Which is undeniable in light of recent events.

“Crime-bosses”? What “crime-bosses” are you referring to? Mafia chieftains? Drug lords? So what stands between us and complete domination by “crime bosses” is conceal or open carry (which is what we are talking about in the context in police shootings)? :rolleyes:

Supposedly 2% according to Dallas. Id even give it the benefit of the doubt to suggest it higher at maybe 5%. Believe it or not the DOJ has been on this awhile and there will be still issues.

Well first we have a major 1st amendment issue prevailing with violent protest so the truth is the 2nd amendment is a secondary issue to this. The gun law as we see in Congress isn’t going anywhere because people can’t remain calm and talk. I don’t see that changing and the same mutually exclusive violent protest and 1st amendment gone astray with lynch mobs is still the priority. imho

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.