CONSISTORY FOR THE CREATION OF SIX NEW CARDINALS
Vatican City, 24 October 2012 (VIS) - At the end of his general audience today, the Pope announced that he has called a consistory to take place on 24 November, during which he will appoint six new cardinals.
“It is with great joy”, he said, “that I announce my intention to hold a consistory on 24 November, in which I will appoint six new members of the College of Cardinals. Cardinals have the task of helping Peter’s Successor carry out his mission to confirm people in the faith and to be the source and foundation of the Church’s unity and communion”.
The Holy Father then read out the names of the new cardinals. They are:
- Archbishop James Michael Harvey, prefect of the Pontifical Household who, Benedict XVI said, “I intend to appoint as archpriest of the papal basilica of St. Paul’s Outside-the-Walls”.
**- His Beatitude Bechara Boutros Rai, patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Lebanon.
- His Beatitude Baselios Cleemis Thottunkal, major archbishop of Trivandrum of the Syro-Malankars, India**.
- Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan of Abuja, Nigeria.
- Archbishop Ruben Salazar Gomez of Bogota, Colombia.
- Archbishop Luis Antonio G. Tagle of Manila, Philippines.
Keep on praying for them.