2 New Personal Parishes dedicated to the Traditional Roman Rite

Two new Personal Parishes in Switzerland

The Diocese of Chur, in central-eastern Switzerland, announced today the canonical erection of two Personal Parishes dedicated to the Traditional Roman Rite (the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite), as envisaged by Summorum Pontificum, art. 10.

Bishop Vitus Huonder established the Personal Parish Maria Immaculata in Oberarth (Canton Schwyz) and the Personal Parish of Saint Maximilian Kolbe, in Thalwil (Canton Zurich - staffed by priests of the Fraternity of Saint Peter/FSSP), both for preexisting communities of Traditional Catholic faithful. The decrees were signed on Feb. 22 and were made public today.

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/02/two-new-personal-parishes-in.html

Deo Gratias

Hats off to the bishop!

After 3+ years experience of FSSP priests, i reckon the Trads there have really landed on their feet. Those priests are up-to-date in the right way. :thumbsup:

I thought FSSP were not in communion with Rome.?? And, what are personal parishes?? I am serious here, not being facietious. Can someone explain. Thanks.

FSSP are in communion with Rome.

Great news on the parishes with the EF Masses. :slight_smile:

God be praised. :’)

Ok, Thanks. I get the various “initial groups” mixed up. But still, what is a personal parish??

A personal parish means it was established by the bishop himself under his own auspices. It is not a (typical) territorial parish.

All parishes are erected “personally” by the bishop, but a personal parish is one whose members have some rite, language, or nationality in common; the membership is defined by the “persons” who join.

Like I said, it is the opposite of a territorial parish, which is typically the norm. People go to this parish for some special reason - not because they live in a place.

In Canon Law, a parish is errected in one of two ways

The first, and most common, is as a territorial parish. It’s parishioners are those that live in the defined geographical area around the parish.

The second is as a Personal Parish. That type of parish has, as it’s members, all those who are interested in the particular charism of the parish. It might be those of a certain ethic group, or language, or in this case, those who are interested in the Latin Rite in the Extraordinary Form.

In normal circumstances, a persons canonical pastor is the one who’s parish is responsible for the geography in which the person lives. That is true even if a person goes to a different parish.

The exception is if the attend a personal parish. The pastor of that parish becomes their Canonical pastor.

Just for the benefit of any potentially confused readers (as distinct from us posters on this thread), its the **SSPX** thats not in union with Rome. Or: Rome`s not in union with it. :smiley:

The FSSP is so in union with Rome that it`d be impossible for it to be any closer. :thumbsup:

In my state, there is a parish that is dedicated to the EF Mass only. I just wish it was a lot closer to me so I could go to it more often. Its a small community yet dedicated to the EF Mass and the Sacraments done using the EF forms.

Here in Detroit, the parishes are all Diocesan, in that they are regular parishes staffed by priests of the Diocese who have elected to say Mass in the Extraordinary Form.

There are 5 such parishes, one was declared to be a personal parish for the Extraordinary Form. A second was already a personal parish, ethnic in nature, serviing the Slovak community.

In each case, the parishes are a mixture of EF and OF Masses. The OF Masses at those parishes tent strongly towards the ‘smells and bells’ Masses, with lots of Latin, communion at the rail, altar boys, and few, if any EMHC’s

Brendan, thank you for the explanation of “personal parish”. I am clearer about that now. I appreciate the clarification.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.