2 Peter 3: 10

2 Peter 3: 10 states:
The Day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then with a roar the sky will vanish, the elements will catch fire and melt away, the earth and all that it contains will be burned up.

Is “will come like a thief” for those people who are not prepared for God?

:bible1::bible1::bible1:

The expression seems to be refer to the Jesus’ words found in Matthew 24:36-44:
36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. 37 As were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they did not know until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of man. 40 Then two men will be in the field; one is taken and one is left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill; one is taken and one is left. 42 Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the householder had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have watched and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

Most likely means silently, without warning.

Hi!

The warning is to the Believers: Be alert! Do not relax on your expectation of being saved. Remain in Me!:

3 Now you are clean by reason of the word, which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abide in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine: you the branches: he that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing. 6 If any one abide not in me, he shall be cast forth as a branch, and shall wither, and they shall gather him up, and cast him into the fire, and he burneth. (St. John 15:3-6)

Maran atha!

Angel

Notice it says this will happen at at time no one expects it to…although Im not sure if he is referring to people in general, the truly faithful, or…?

Another verse says there will be signs to watch for, so if the faithful can spot these signs, they should be able to recognize the general time beforehand, but I think the enemy likes to distort these signs too, Ive seen plenty of threads on here about some of these signs, and many people cannot recognize them as being signs in the first place, so Im fairly certain satan is involved in this, making the signs seems like something else, in an attempt to trick us.

In Matthew 24 Jesus is talking about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD and removal of power from the priests of the old covenant and giving that power to the priests of the new covenant.

Peter is talking about the second coming of Jesus at the end of time in 2 Peter 3.

They are two different discourses about two different events.

-Tim-

Hi, Mike!
I think that the warnings are for the Believers since a non-Believer would not be seeking the Parousia.

…the signs could be for both since the Believers would be getting confirmation (the Holy Spirit in us) and the non-Believers could be getting a nudge to vivify their spirits (could also be a demonstration of fulfillment so that there would be no excuse when they face Judgment Day).

I concur with you since Satan avails himself of everything, including Sacred Scriptures, in order to derail God’s Plan and Authority. That’s why the Church takes her time in declaring Doctrine, excommunicating transgressors, and approving apparitions and miracles.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.