2 probems

I have two problems.

1- I am 14 and I feel like I have a calling from God. What should I do?

2- If I do decide to become a priest I am worried about what my parents and family would say. My mom is Catholic and believes there is a God. Thats were I get it from. My Dad on the other hand is an athiest and believes people who believe in God are stupid.

If I were you, I would talk to a solid Priest about this, and try to get a solid spiritual director to help with discernment and growing in the Faith. You are young and have time before seminary, if you are called, but if you are indeed called, you will need to protect your gift through the rough years of high school. Frequent Adoration, Mass and confession is important. Keep praying for your parents to be open to whatever you are called to enter. You’ll be in my prayers. :slight_smile:

youve got a few years before you will have to make a decision but for now continue to pray devoutly and find a good priest to be your spiritual director.

and when the time comes and you do have a calling your parents have no say in the matter. When it comes to your vocation this is one decision where your parents authority doesnt belong.

They may not like it or accept it but if you truly have a vocation to the priesthood or even the religious life do not allow anything your parents say or do stop you.

“Jesus answering said: Amen I say to you, there is no man who hath left house or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or children, or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who shall not receive an hundred times as much, now in this time; houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions: and in the world to come, life everlasting” (Mark 10:29-30).

So much for q. 2. If you believe in Christ, believe what he is telling you in these verses. It is the truth.

As to q. 1, cultivating a vocation is a long process. I would particularly recommend beginning to learn to pray the divine office, perhaps by getting yourself a copy of the book ‘Christian Prayer’ as a good starting point. The divine office is the prayer of the church, and by uniting yourself to it, you will both learn to grow closer to the church, and better resist the temptations of the world. If you do become a priest or a brother, it will be a part of your life forever, and even as a layman (as I am), it can be extremely edifying to pray it.

Read, read, read, about the lives of the saints, the history of the church. Perhaps start learning Latin if you have the opportunity. Also learn about the various religious orders and their charisms, and if possible try visiting some (for a retreat, etc.), to learn more about their life.

Above all, listen to God. Listen to what the Holy Spriit is asking of you, in particular. There are many, many ways to live the Christian life in holiness. Learn to listen, to truly hear which one God is asking you to follow. Then follow that path with all your heart.

Well, most people love their parents and respect their opinions.

Points to consider:

You are very young. You have lots of time. You should pray and consult about it. You will want to go to college. Consider the requirements for the priesthood (You’re interested in the priesthood, right?) when you choose your college and major. If your interest persists, at some point, you will have to discuss it with your parents. Technically, in the US you reach maturity at the age of 18 and do not require your parents’ approval However, you will probably desire it. If you do enter seminary, monastery, house of formation, you will want them to visit. Formation and/or seminary requires many years of training. They will visit you, see your progress and may come around. If they don’t, it is true that it is ultimately your decision. But it may not come to that.

I am 70 years old. When I was a teenager, long, long ago, there were boarding high schools which were available to young men in your situation. One, which I considered attending myself, was, as I recall, named Holy Ghost Academy, or something similar, and was located in southern Wisconsin.

These, assuming that similar schools exist today, are hardly cloistered institutions. Some even have dances and other social events with Catholic girls’ schools nearby.

But the emphasis, in addition to a good education, is to provide more intensive vocational counseling than one might receive at an ordinary local Catholic high school.

Perhaps another poster can provide more information on schools of this kind, I’m sure they must still exist.

Thank you everyone who took your time to reply. I will try and find a spiritual director.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.