2 Sam 5:4-5

4 David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. 5 In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.

Does this verse have any significance?

As I was reading scripture, I saw immediately a Parallel with Jesus (being in the line of David), David was 30 yrs old when he became King, and I believe Jesus was 30 yrs old when began his ministry of healing…and David reigned over Israel for 33 years…Jesus lived and reined on earth until age 33…word of caution, this may be a stretch, lol.

[quote=Superstar905]4 David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. 5 In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.

As I was reading scripture, I saw immediately a Parallel with Jesus (being in the line of David), David was 30 yrs old when he became King, and I believe Jesus was 30 yrs old when began his ministry of healing…and David reigned over Israel for 33 years…Jesus lived and reined on earth until age 33…word of caution, this may be a stretch, lol.
[/quote]

I dunno. I never really noticed that. Sounds like some good insight to me. Way to go! :thumbsup:

[quote=JSmitty2005]I dunno. I never really noticed that. Sounds like some good insight to me. Way to go! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I have been slowly reading scripture for about a year (other than I have heard it my whole life at mass, lol) and I am so into it, I love it. The more I read, the more I realize why I am Catholic.

[quote=Superstar905]4 David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. 5 In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.

[/quote]

Hmmmmm… the forty years sounds familiar, too! Thinking, thinking, thinking:rolleyes:.

Notworthy

[quote=NotWorthy]Hmmmmm… the forty years sounds familiar, too! Thinking, thinking, thinking:rolleyes:.

Notworthy
[/quote]

ah, yes, Jesus spent 40 days and nights in the desert (which we now call Lent, and we prepare ourselves by giving up something to prepare us for easter (Jesus’ preparation and purification for entry into the promised land, Heaven)…The Israelites were freed from salvery in Egypt and they wandered in the wilderness for 40 years (which was see as a time of purification and preparation for entry into the promised land…)…

There are numerous “coincidences” in the Bible. The most obscure one I ever heard about was in John 20 or 21 after Jesus’ death, when he’s on the shore and tells Peter to cast his net out one more time. Peter does so and catches 153 fish. Where do you find the number 153 in the bible (OT or NT)? No where!

But… it seems Aristotle had catalogued all the known species of fish in the world, and guess how many there were? You got it, 153!!!

There relationship is obvious, Jesus wanted Peter (and the twelve) to go forth to all the nations and become fishers of men. Only by following Jesus’ words will we be able to spread the gospel to all the world.

Notworthy

The parallels between Peter & Eliakim; Mary & the Ark of the Covenant; and the creation of Eve from Adam’s side & the birth of the Church from Christ’s side with the explusion of water (baptism) and blood (the Eucharist) during the Crucifixion are pretty impressive as well. :smiley: I’ve heard different explanations for the birth of the Church - Pentecost, Jesus’s statement in Matthew 16, Christ’s side being pierced, and others. When do you guys think it was?

You mean when did these events happen? Matthew 16:18 occured on the day of atonement, when the high priest could say the Lord’s name. Simon Peter, Christ earthly high priest said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God”.

Pretty neat!

Notworthy

I mean: When do you think that the Church was actually born? I’ve heard people propose it to be any of the events that I mentioned above.

That’s a hard one. All answers could be accurate.

In the Beginning was the Word…
When Mary Conceived.
The Last Supper.
When the spear was thrust in Jesus’ side.
Upon the Resurrection.
The Pentecost.

Maybe you could consider the Church as a fetus until
A) The Resurrection and the Church Triumphant and the Church in Purgatory (what is that word?) were born.
B) Pentecost and the Church Militant was born.

Notworthy

Here, this is where I heard it before:

home.inreach.com/bstanley/bride.htm

[quote=JSmitty2005]Here, this is where I heard it before:

home.inreach.com/bstanley/bride.htm
[/quote]

Bob Stanley has a wonderful site, does he? I’ll get with you on the New Eve thing. I’ve got a great quote on it in a book at home.

Notworthy

when I discover these typologies, or foreshadowing from the Old Testament of what is revealed in the New Testament, I cannot help but be amazed at how awesome scripture is, and how it must be the work of God.

[/quote]

I was reading this chapter in Adoration today and had exactly the same thoughts! You didn’t happen to be in Adoration today too when you were reading, were you…! I was pretty amazed too, but like you said in your last post, the more connections I see between the OT and NT the more amazed I become at the power and plan of God.

[quote=Elzee]I was reading this chapter in Adoration today and had exactly the same thoughts! You didn’t have to be in Adoration today too when you were reading, were you…! I was pretty amazed too, but like you said in your last post, the more connections I see between the OT and NT the more amazed I become at the power and plan of God.
[/quote]

I wasn’t in Adoration, I’m just reading and studying scripture. That is so cool.

[quote=NotWorthy]I’ll get with you on the New Eve thing. I’ve got a great quote on it in a book at home.

Notworthy
[/quote]

This comes from “Our Father’s Plan” by Scott Hahn.
It is so deep!

“*From Adam’s aide came forth one who was both body and bride: Eve. Formed from his body, was bone of his bone, flesh of his flesh. Joined to him in marriage, she became one body with him, his body, as he became her body. Similarly, from the side of Christ pierced by a lance came the Church. ‘The origin and growth of the Church are symbolized by the blood and water which flowed from the open side of the crucified Jesus.’ Joined in nuptials to him, she who received life from his side became also His Body. Just as Eve came from Adam and was united with him as one body, so the Church comes from Christ and is united to Him as one body, His Body. The Church is Christ’s Body, and as such is His Bride. The Church is Christ’s Bride, and as such is His Body.”

*Notworthy

Back to the main topic. On Mt. Sinai, after the golden calf “incident”, Moses consecrated a new priesthood, the Levitical Priesthood. As part of the initiation, Moses had the Levites slay some of the offending Hebrews - around 3000 of them! When? On Pentecost.

Fast forward about 1200 years, on the first Christian Pentecost, when the new priesthood was publicly initiated, how many souls were saved? “About 3000 of them were saved that day”.

Notworthy

Holy Cow (lol, get it?)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.