2 Samuel 7:1-14 It sounds like this is referring to Jesus

Hi, I struggle with faith, I pray always for faith and I read the daily readings. This days reading (about a week ago) really puzzled me because it sounded so much like a prophecy of Christ where it says, 7:12 "and when thy days will be fulfilled and thou shall sleep with thy fathers, I shall raise up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed from thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house to my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son: and if he commit any iniquity, I will correct him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men. This last part confuses me. We say Christ committed no sin. Yet he suffered from being scourged and crucifixion. I am confused and bewildered about this scripture. Can anyone help me understand it?

the thing with prophetic utterance is that sometimes God is telling us something about one person by talking about another person. So this passage God is obviously talking about Solomon but also about Christ. Obviously Solomon’s throne did not last forever, after all his kingdom was broken apart after he died, so there are somethings in this passage about Solomon but some about Christ. Because in someways Solomon is likeJesus but in others obviously not.

David’s son (seed) King Solomon will build the temple:

1Ch 28:6 And he said unto me, ***Solomon thy son, he shall build my house ***and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.

The throne will last forever because Christ will be the last to sit on it, and for all eternity:

Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him ***the throne ***of his father David

Luke 1:33 And ***he shall reign ***over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Solomon is the one threatened with stripes.

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.