2 Timothy 2:16

2 Timothy 2:16 Avoid such godless chatter, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,

I was wondering, how should the phrase "godless chatter" be defined in this context? My friend was telling me the other day I shouldn't be hanging out with non-Catholic friends if I didn't have the intention of bringing them into the Catholic Church. He told me about this verse. So if I were to have conversations about movies, games etc would that be considered as godless chatter?

In a broader context, would talking about worldly matters be considered godless chatter even within the Christian community?

Thanks in advance :)

Alot of it as to do with the people that we hang around. Godless chatter is basically talking about sin. Example, im talking to you and I say that I saw this fine girl in a bar wearing little, and took her home and we did this and this, and she was amazing, blah, blah, blah, or if I say the things I would like to do to her, or if about a video game, it would be about fps, games that are about sin.... movies... exe.

[quote="julianp24, post:1, topic:315953"]
2 Timothy 2:16 Avoid such godless chatter, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,

I was wondering, how should the phrase "godless chatter" be defined in this context? My friend was telling me the other day I shouldn't be hanging out with non-Catholic friends if I didn't have the intention of bringing them into the Catholic Church. He told me about this verse. So if I were to have conversations about movies, games etc would that be considered as godless chatter?

In a broader context, would talking about worldly matters be considered godless chatter even within the Christian community?

[/quote]

In most parts of the south one would have very few friends if he did not have non-Catholic friends. :rolleyes:

-Tim-

[quote="julianp24, post:1, topic:315953"]

[/quote]

Hi Julian, perhaps the answer is in thinking what we could/would say that would lead people into more "ungodliness". Maybe an example would be talking about how much we thought we could drink on Friday night. I don't think we're called to not hang out with non-Catholic friends, but to try to use a bit of discretion in our talk with them. It's interesting that in the Benedictine tradition Benedict seems to reserve his strongest language against monks who were grumbling and who were disturbing the peace of the community because of their grumbling. It's nice to know that Benedictine life was obviously rather like everyday family life today :)

Keep being (or trying to be) a good friend to all, I'd say.

God bless +

This is a warning against useless disputes.

2 Timothy 2:

14 Remind people of these things and charge them before God to stop disputing about words. This serves no useful purpose since it harms those who listen. 15 Be eager to present yourself as acceptable to God, a workman who causes no disgrace, imparting the word of truth without deviation. 16 Avoid profane, idle talk, for such people will become more and more godless, 17 and their teaching will spread like gangrene.
In your conversations be watchful. Be in the world, but not of the world. Never lose your saltiness.

Peace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.