20 people had been killed by paramilitary police in a Fishing Village near Hong Kong!

Brothers and Sisters - I though you needed to see this:

20 Reported Killed as Chinese Unrest Escalates

By HOWARD W. FRENCH
Published: December 9, 2005

SHANGHAI, Dec. 9 - Residents of a fishing village near Hong Kong said that as many as 20 people had been killed by paramilitary police in an unusually violent clash that marked an escalation in the widespread social protests that have roiled the Chinese countryside. Villagers said that as many as 50 other residents remain unaccounted for since the shooting. It is the largest known use of force by security forces against ordinary citizens since the killings around Tiananmen Square in 1989. That death toll remains unknown, but is estimated to be in the hundreds.

The violence began after dark in the town of Dongzhou on Tuesday evening. Terrified residents said their hamlet has remained occupied by thousands of security forces, who have blocked off all access roads and are reportedly arresting residents who attempt to leave the area in the wake of the heavily armed assault.

“From about 7 p.m. the police started firing tear gas into the crowd, but this failed to scare people,” said a resident who gave his name only as Li and claimed to have been at the scene, where a relative of his was killed. "Later, we heard more than 10 explosions, and thought they were just detonators, so nobody was scared. At about 8 p.m. they started using guns, shooting bullets into the ground, but not really targeting anybody.

“Finally, at about 10 p.m. they started killing people.”

nytimes.com/2005/12/09/international/asia/09cnd-china.html?hp&ex=1134190800&en=a42a6c1e282d9ade&ei=5094&partner=homepage

This came from this article:

Where’s The Outrage?

Hugh Hewitt
December 9, 2005 04:04 PM PST

Residents of a fishing village near Hong Kong said that as many as 20 people had been killed by paramilitary police in an unusually violent clash that marked an escalation in the widespread social protests that have roiled the Chinese countryside. Villagers said that as many as 50 other residents remain unaccounted for since the shooting.

hughhewitt.com/

This is VERY SERIOUS for two reasons -

One, it’s a return to the thuggish behavior of the People’s Republic of China in Tien An Mien Square, and this probably to clear areas in order to build venues for the upcoming Olympics;

Two, the world’s press (CNN, etc.) have largely been silent about this atrocity. It seems that, in the words of CNN’s Eason Jordan, the Press is NOW worried more about ACCESS than about TELLING THE TRUTH!

The first is troubling, but the second is dangerous, because it means the World’s Press (or the MSM) are WITHHOLDING information from us THAT WE NEED so they can continue (at least in their minds) to operate in TOTALITARIAN DICTATORSHIPS.

Please read the articles and then pray for the people in that fishing village who are being slaughtered by their own government.

In Christ, Michael

And, if it is true that the MSM is withholding this, also pray that there will be some courageous men and women who will tell the truth.

This is awful. I can’t imagine what it would be like to live in that situation.

[quote=Mom of one]And, if it is true that the MSM is withholding this, also pray that there will be some courageous men and women who will tell the truth.

This is awful. I can’t imagine what it would be like to live in that situation.
[/quote]

Mom of one:

This is from a couple of days ago:

Radio Free Asia - Chinese Police Fire on Protesters, Killing at Least Two - Developing
2005.12.07

HONG KONG—Tensions remain high in China’s southern province of Guangdong after police fired on a crowd protesting the construction of a wind power plant near the city of Shanwei, killing at least two people.

Witnesses and Dongzhou Hospital authorities near the port city of Shanwei told RFA’s Mandarin and Cantonese services that by 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, villagers Jiang Hu and Jiang Guanji had died in the local hospital while a third, identified as Tang Daxiang, was receiving emergency treatment.

Residents remained tense and fearful Wednesday, with rumors of another attack by riot police later that evening.

“They say that the police are going to come and smash up people’s homes tonight, so all the men have left the village, leaving old people and children,” one Dongzhou woman told RFA’s Cantonese service.

rfa.org/english/news/2005/12/07/china_guangdong/

This is what it’s over and the “legal” basis:

Radio Free Asia -Guangdong Power Project Stalls Amid Land Dispute
2005.10.25

"They have sent people’s relatives to the area around the power station to tell people that the army is about to move into the area with a special weapon, and that no one will escape,” he said.

As time drags on, villagers say, the officials sent to mediate the dispute are becoming more and more senior.

Shanwei deputy mayor Li Min has already traveled to Dongzhou, where he spoke to RFA’s Hong Kong-based reporter, Ding Xiao.

“It is illegal to impede the progress of a key infrastructure project,” Li said. “As for whether the compensation is reasonable, it was in line with the usual standards. The government is remaining open to the people’s demands and will entertain any reasonable requests.”

rfa.org/english/news/2005/10/25/china_guangdong/

And, much to the MSM’s shame, with the exception of the reporter from the NY Times, they’re as silent as cemetaries!

My God have mercy on us all.

In Christ, Michael

I wondered what it would take to get CNN to do this story!

ONLY 2 HOURS AFTER I POSTED IT HERE!

Witnesses: Chinese village sealed

Friday, December 9, 2005; Posted: 11:17 p.m. EST (04:17 GMT)

BEIJING, China (AP) – Officials are offering the residents of a besieged Chinese village cash payments to cover up the alleged killing of as many as 20 protesters by authorities earlier this week, a Hong Kong newspaper said Saturday.

Meanwhile, villagers in the community of Dongzhou in the southern province of Guangdong said armed police were continuing to hold them at bay, four days after authorities allegedly opened fire on thousands of demonstrators protesting the amount of compensation being offered for land to be used in the construction of a wind power plant.

On Saturday the Hong Kong-based English-language South China Morning Post quoted villagers as saying authorities were trying to conceal Dongzhou fatalities by offering families money to give up bodies of the dead.

“They offered us a sum but said we would have to give up the body,” an unidentified relative of one slain villager, 31-year-old Wei Jin, was quoted as saying. “We are not going to agree.”

Police were carrying photos of villagers and trying to find people linked to the protest, the newspaper said, citing villagers.

cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/12/09/china.protest.ap/index.html

And, Yes, CNN still tried to help the Government of the PRC cover up the atrocity with a lie from an anonymous “city worker”…

3 hours late and still a lie to save their beloved “Access”!

Chinese Town Surrounded After Protests Turn Deadly

Friday, December 09, 2005
Associated Press - FOX couldn’t do their own

BEIJING — Hundreds of riot police armed with guns and shields have surrounded and sealed off a southern Chinese village where authorities fatally shot demonstrators this week, villagers said Friday.

Although riot police often use tear gas and truncheons to disperse demonstrators, it is extremely rare for security forces to fire into a crowd — as they did in putting down pro-democracy demonstrations in 1989 near Tiananmen Square. Hundreds, if not thousands, were killed.

During the demonstration Tuesday in Dongzhou, a village in Guangdong province, thousands of people gathered to protest the amount of money offered by the government as compensation for land to be used in the construction of a wind power plant.

Police started firing into the crowd and killed several people, mostly men, villagers reached by telephone said Friday. The death toll ranged from two to 10, they said, and many remained missing.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,178275,00.html

It’s now on the AP feed, meaning the Newspapers will have to decide NOT to print it.

And, It seems we embarrased CNN into publishing it, even though they had to “balance” the story with what they had to know was a lie, one the AP decided not to print.

Let’s see what they do - Remember the PRC controls the video feed, so, unless someone has a satelite phone, we won’t get imagery.

In Christ, Michael

Well, the chinese capitalism of XIX century in action!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.