2000 years and counting

I’m interested in responses from anyone of any faith.

Does the fact that Jesus promised to return, and hasn’t for over 2000 years affect your belief. If so…how?

Nope.

No, it would have been pointless for Him to return before the Gospel had been spread throughout the world.

Now ya all know how nit picky I am … in AD 2030 or 2033 we will have reached the 2,000 year mark since Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. We’re not quite there yet. But it is closing in, that’s for sure.

Jesus also promised He would never leave us alone. I believe that because I feel that. He promised the coming of the holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, and an indwelling of that same Spirit, that has happened. He promised that His early followers would be pushed out of their synagogues, which happened. He pointed to the temple and foretold it’s destruction, that happened. He said the truth would set me free, it has. He said the gates of hell would not overthrow His Church, it hasn’t.

Since His promises to me have come true, I have no reason to doubt the one of His physical return.

I think our first Pope answered this question beautifully

2 [size=]P[/size]ETER 3:9 The Lord delayeth not his promise, as some imagine, but dealeth patiently for your sake, not willing that any should perish, but that all should return to penance, 10 But the day of the Lord shall come as a thief, in which the heavens shall pass away with great violence and the elements shall be melted with heat and the earth and the works which are in it shall be burnt up. 11 Seeing then that all these things are to be dissolved, what manner of people ought you to be in holy conversation and godliness? 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of the Lord, by which the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with the burning heat? 13 But we look for new heavens and a new earth according to his promises, in which justice dwelleth. 14 Wherefore, dearly beloved, waiting for these things, be diligent that you may be found before him unspotted and blameless in peace.

I’m not a big wonder about the end of the world kind of guy. I like the here and now.

If you wouldn’t mind elaborating a bit on this, I’d be interested in knowing what you mean by this. I’ve often heard Christians use this phrase, but I don’t really understand what it means.

Thanks for your responses.

cheddar

And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

We haven’t finished the job yet, so no… I’m not expecting Christ to come back anytime soon.

He has returned, he “returned” in the presence of the Holy Spirit, he “returns” each and every day in those who follow him, in those that move as his hands and feet to a broken and needy world…we are his Body present in this world.

In terms of Christ’s bodily return, every Eucharist is just that. “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.” “This is my body, This is my blood…”

While as a Friend I do not “identify” with the 'outward form" of the Eucharist, but I do agree that he is truly presently among us in a very Real way. “He is born anew each day in the lives of those that believe in him.” We are to be the very incarnation in this world…I do not believe the man Jesus will ever again walk this earth as a “returned cosmic figure.”

No problem :slight_smile:

One of the things I love about Christianity is that its origins are firmly rooted in Middle Eastern thought where there is such poetic beauty in the nuances of language and ideas. The ironic paradoxes in Christian Sacred Scriptures are just awesome.

This phrase is one of the better ones: The truth shall set you free.

Christianity is a relational religion. God is a relational being. The Godhead is a tri-unity. The only reason there is an eternal Father is because there is an eternal Son. As a Christian I am a Son of God, He is my Father. As a Son I am also an heir, an heir to His Kingdom. Slaves are not, cannot, be heirs. They cannot own anything.

Freedom in Christianity comes from an abandoning, a turning away from, a repenting of and in oneself. We are not free to do anything; we are freed for a purpose. We do not turn over our wills to God in this freedom; we consciously mold our will to the will of God. Our freedom demands constant action of the will.

Truth is: Jesus of Nazareth is the Son of God. He came into the world and dwelled among man. He showed the Way to the Father. Being Himself God, He became as man in ways except sin so that man can become divine. There is no imperfection in the divine. Slavery is an imperfection. There can be no slavery in the heir. But in order to be that heir one must make himself a slave to Christ. Christ in turn frees one from that slavery and imparts to Him what is known not by slaves but by friends, son ship. If one knows that, he has already crossed over from slave to free. In Christ there is no slave or free. The freedom in Christ transcends even the ideas of freedom. Therefore, he who the Son has set free is free indeed.

Can you see why Christian thought is grounded in the mystic?

Since we are told that no one knows the day or time (of the second coming) all I can do is live the best I can everyday, with the word and beliefs I was taught as a child. With hope, faith, self-control and love I try to live out the rest of my life in the best way I can.:thumbsup:

Yup, according to St Malachy’s prophesy, we have this Pope and two more Popes before we reach the end of time. If the Saint was correct, that would be roughly 2030 to 2040.

Just to clarify,do you think these returns you speak of are the one Christ said, that he would return, or are these preliminary returns to a big final one? I ask because some people believe that Christ’s return is not literal, as in Him coming, in the flesh, out of the sky, but more like these that you refer to.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your well thought out and clear posts.

It hasn’t affected mine at all. The “end of the world” and Christ’s return are supposed to come back, but no one is supposed to realize at the time when that is. The only problem is there is always some nut job saying that the world will end for just about every day in the course of history. I can picture this guy waking up and saying to himself “Today is finally the day!”.
It could happen now or in a gazillion years. If the fact that God kept mankind waiting for over 2,000 years would cause anyone to change their faith then they are in bigger trouble than just being tired of waiting.

I have to admit ignorance as I am not really sure what the Catholic position on “the end of the world”-“second coming” thing is. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the Catholic position?

I guess to answer the OP, it doesn’t bother me at all.

Jesus said only the Father knows the hour…so no.

I do not believe in a literal return from the sky…the idea of the return are rooted in Jewish messianic expectations of the first century…those first Christians believed he would return in their lifetime…very shortly in fact…one of the reason many scholars believe it took so long for the gospels to be written was an understanding that he wasn’t going to return as quickly as they expected…we see in Paul’s writings his early letters an…expectancy…his later writings more practical and ‘organizational’.

I realize no believing in a literal, physical return is heretical…but I’ve never shied from heresy myself:)

My faith is rooted in this world…to live now within the Kingdom of God…it is not necessarily “otherworldly”…NOW is the accepted time…NOW is the “day of salvation”…the Other World will take care of itself…this world is what is important…“eternity” is NOW.

The Catholic idea of the Seocnd Coming, or Parousia, is basically that Christ will return, ushering in the resurrection of the dead and the General Judgment, and that’s it for eternity.

Here is a site providing Scripture for this belief:
catholicapologetics.org/ap090500.htm

Ched,

I’ve never worried about the second coming of Jesus. The fact that he has not returned by now does not shake may faith. The longer the delay coupled with the continued existence of his Church simply strengthens my confidence in his promises. The continued existence of the Church is an incredible miracle and work of Christ within our midst. No matter how much time passes the gates of hell will not prevail against it. Jesus will come and he will present the Church to the Father without spot or wrinkle.

If history is any indicator, I should expect to live out my short life before Jesus returns. Nevertheless, I should live in eager anticipation of His return in glory, but live as if today is the last day of my life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.