2009 Year of Bernadette

Perhaps this is posted in another thread but I didn’t realize that the year 2009 was the year of St. Bernadette until I read it on wikipedia.

I feel kinda bad for not knowing this. :blush:

St. Bernadette is someone I can relate to. She has been a friend to me since childhood and one of my favorite Saints.

Prayer in time of Affliction by St. Bernadette

O my God, I beg You, by Your loneliness, not that You may spare me affliction, but that You may not abandon me in it. When I encounter affliction, teach me to see You in it as my sole Comforter. Let affliction strengthen my faith, fortify my hope, and purify my love. Grant me the grace to see Your Hand in my affliction, and to desire no other comforter but You. Amen.

Marian Prayer by St. Bernadette

How happy my soul was, good mother, when I had the good fortune to gaze upon you!

How I love to recall the pleasant moments spent under your gaze, so full of kindness and mercy for us.

Yes, tender Mother, you stooped down to earth to appear to a mere child.

You, the Queen of Heaven and Earth chose to use what is weakest in the eyes of men.

O Mary, give the precious virtue of humility to she who dares to call herself your child.

O loving Mother, help your child to resemble you in everything and every way.

In a word, grant that I may be a child according to your heart and the heart of your dear son. Amen.

PRAYER TO SAINT BERNADETTE 

Saint Bernadette, little shepherdess of Lourdes, favored with eighteen apparitions of the Immaculate Virgin Mary and with the privilege of lovingly conversing with her, now that you are eternally enjoying the entrancing beauty of the Immaculate Mother of God, do not forsake me, your devoted client, who am still in this valley of tears. Intercede for me that I, too, may walk the simple path of faith. Help me to imitate your example, at our heavenly Queen's request, by saying the Rosary daily and by doing penance for sinners. 

Teach me to imitate your wonderful devotedness to God and our Lady, the Immaculate Conception, so that, like you, I may be blessed with the grace of lasting faithfulness and enjoy the happiness in heaven of the eternal vision of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen. 

God of infinite mercy, we celebrate the feast of Mary, Our Lady of Lourdes, the sinless Mother of God. May her prayers help us to rise above our human weakness. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever. Amen.

Prayer to Our Lady of Lourdes

O Holy Virgin, in the midst of your days of glory, do not forget the sorrows of this earth.

Cast a merciful glance upon those who are suffering, struggling against difficulties, with their lips constantly pressed against life’s bitter cup.

Have pity on those who love each other and are separated.

Have pity on our rebellious hearts.

Have pity on our weak faith.

Have pity on those we love.

Have pity on those who weep, on those who pray, on those who fear.

Grant hope and peace to all. Amen.

Was just reading about her on wiki.

Below is a video of Jennifer Warnes singing a song she wrote (with help from Leonard Cohen and William Elliott) called Song of Bernadette. It is one of the most beautiful songs you will ever hear (in the video she sings a condensed version though).

youtube.com/watch?v=aZIFavgLd38

:slight_smile:

Thank you so very much for sharing . . . the prayers are exquisite . . . lovely way to begin our day . . .

:harp:
"This is the Lord’s doing:
and it is wonderful in our eyes."

Psalm 117:23
:bible1:

*God bless . . . *

*Dedicated to the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart . . . *

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Dear Lord+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
[/RIGHT]

Thank you for posting this. I grew up at St. Bernadette Parish in Omaha, so I have always had a special place for her in my heart.

I’m not too sure I understand the first line in the lyrics though. It states, " She saw the Queen of Heaven once" I always thought that St. Bernadette saw Our Lady of Lourdes 18 times?

However, I must say it is a very moving song.

There was a child named Bernadette
I heard the story long ago
She saw the Queen of Heaven once
And kept the vision in her soul
No one believed what she had seen
No one believed what she heard
That there were sorrows to be healed
And mercy, mercy in this world

So many hearts I find
Broke like yours and mine
Torn by what we’ve done and can’t undo
I just want to hold you
Won’t you let me hold you
Like Bernadette would do

We’ve been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we’ve done
Tonight, tonight I cannot rest
I’ve got this joy inside my breast
To think that I did not forget
That child, that song of Bernadette

So many hearts I find …

The ‘once’ I assume just means that she saw our Lady in the past. And as we know she did - 18 instances during that time!

Glad you liked the song.

“The Year of Bernadette”

unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/BernadettNeuzil.htm

Marie Bernada grew up in Southern France, speaking the Gascon dialect of Occitan. There are a few photos of her. She was a very cute little lady! Her life story is incredible.

I even have a plush doll of her as a nun!

Awesome thank you and God bless you for sharing this. Do you still have the doll?

I do realize this is a rather older thread and I know this is a silly question to ask but who was 2010 dedicated to? and this year 2011?

I know I should've asked this question when I first posted this but how was it decided that 2009 was the Year of St. Bernadette?

Sorry for being so ignorant. :blush: :o

Thank you and God bless you,
goforgoal

[quote="goforgoal, post:10, topic:168694"]
I do realize this is a rather older thread and I know this is a silly question to ask but who was 2010 dedicated to? and this year 2011?

I know I should've asked this question when I first posted this but how was it decided that 2009 was the Year of St. Bernadette?

Sorry for being so ignorant. :blush: :o

Thank you and God bless you,
goforgoal

[/quote]

2009 was the year of St Bernadette for the 150th anniversary of her death.

The dedications are not necessarily based on calendar years. 2009 was dedicated to priests for the 150th anniversary of the death of St John Vianney and ran from June 19, 2009 to June 19, 2010.

As far as I know no dedication has been announced for this year yet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.