2012 and Niribu

I want to get the opinions of fellow Catholics regarding 2012 and Niribu. What is the church teaching on this? Im starting to see things about this on the web. How do I respond to it?

[quote="NolePaul2009, post:1, topic:179630"]
I want to get the opinions of fellow Catholics regarding 2012 and Niribu. What is the church teaching on this? Im starting to see things about this on the web. How do I respond to it?

[/quote]

Only fools would believe the world will end in 2012. Its all nonsense and the Church does not have teachings on nonsense. It would be a full time task to make declarations on all things stupid.
The world will NOT end in 2012. I wish I could see the faces on December 22, 2012 when we are all still here and life goes on. What excuse will they make when these silly predictions do not happen.

As for a hidden planet that is also nonsense. All scientists are laughing about this. Its impossible for there to be a hidden planet in our solar system.

My teaching is badger them to transfer all their money in their bank account to you on December 12 2012 since they obvious don't think they will need it.

2012 is supposed to be because of the Mayan calendar, even though I'm pretty Mayan experts reject the claims and think its stupid and rightly so.

Jesus said no one knows the hour.

There was a huge amount of hype that Nibiru was supposed to destroy the world in 2003. It was a no-show then and I strongly suspect it will be a no-show in 2012.

"The End of the World" is referring to "the end of the world as you know it". It has never been actually a reference to the end of physical existence, but rather of social harmony and economics.

All things tend to have cycles. A person hunts then eats, wakes then sleeps. Season rise then fall, daylight comes then goes.

Astrology is based on trying to use those cycles to predict events, most specifically social world events. The "planets" they refer to are metaphoric and refer to "worlds of influence" such as;

1) Military world
2) Mental (spiritual) world
3) Medical world

Each of those would represent a different "planet" because each functions independent of the other yet they each have cycles of accomplishment or clarity and relative confusion (dark ages).

The idea that the "world will come to an end" merely means that the cycles of these worlds of influence will all come to a low point at the same time - "the planets will align and block out the Sun". The Sun in Astrology refers to the source of light such that people can see what they are doing (understand) without confusion.

In addition the "stars" have been used throughout history as guiding signs for travelers instead of today's compasses or GPS systems. At the time when all of the worldly cycles reach a low point at the same time, the ideas of good and bad, truth or deception will be so confused that what used to be "guiding lights" (stars) will fade out.

None of it has to do with real physical events, but rather social human related events.

The Bible uses many of these same ancient metaphors as do almost all ancient cultures.

Well, this is all wrong. Anyone who is up on these things knows that Christ will return on May 21, 20*11*. This is according to Dr. Harold Camping, of Family Radio fame. His eyes were opened by God as to how to correctly interpret the Bible sometime in the 1980's, I believe. So you're too late if you are banking on 2012. Christ will have already raptured the true Christians, and it's all downhill from there.:rolleyes:

But you're not to blame, you know. God didn't give this revelation to anyone until he gave it to Dr. Camping. Now it's his job to spread this piece of good news. Oh, and you must disassociate yourself from your church, as this will be done on an individual basis, the churches having fallen prey to the devil.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:7, topic:179630"]
Well, this is all wrong. Anyone who is up on these things knows that Christ will return on May 21, 20*11*. This is according to Dr. Harold Camping, of Family Radio fame. His eyes were opened by God as to how to correctly interpret the Bible sometime in the 1980's, I believe. So you're too late if you are banking on 2012. Christ will have already raptured the true Christians, and it's all downhill from there.:rolleyes:

But you're not to blame, you know. God didn't give this revelation to anyone until he gave it to Dr. Camping. Now it's his job to spread this piece of good news. Oh, and you must disassociate yourself from your church, as this will be done on an individual basis, the churches having fallen prey to the devil.

[/quote]

:D :p

[quote="James_S_Saint, post:6, topic:179630"]
"The End of the World" is referring to "the end of the world as you know it". It has never been actually a reference to the end of physical existence, but rather of social harmony and economics.

All things tend to have cycles. A person hunts then eats, wakes then sleeps. Season rise then fall, daylight comes then goes.

Astrology is based on trying to use those cycles to predict events, most specifically social world events. The "planets" they refer to are metaphoric and refer to "worlds of influence" such as;

1) Military world
2) Mental (spiritual) world
3) Medical world

Each of those would represent a different "planet" because each functions independent of the other yet they each have cycles of accomplishment or clarity and relative confusion (dark ages).

The idea that the "world will come to an end" merely means that the cycles of these worlds of influence will all come to a low point at the same time - "the planets will align and block out the Sun". The Sun in Astrology refers to the source of light such that people can see what they are doing (understand) without confusion.

In addition the "stars" have been used throughout history as guiding signs for travelers instead of today's compasses or GPS systems. At the time when all of the worldly cycles reach a low point at the same time, the ideas of good and bad, truth or deception will be so confused that what used to be "guiding lights" (stars) will fade out.

None of it has to do with real physical events, but rather social human related events.

The Bible uses many of these same ancient metaphors as do almost all ancient cultures.

[/quote]

Astrology is complete rubbish.

I figured this was the case. I just wanted to get fellow Catholic's perspective. Its amazing how many Youtube videos there are claiming to be pictures and videos of Niribu. Of course anything is possible with photoshop.

[quote="NolePaul2009, post:10, topic:179630"]
I figured this was the case. I just wanted to get fellow Catholic's perspective. Its amazing how many Youtube videos there are claiming to be pictures and videos of Niribu. Of course anything is possible with photoshop.

[/quote]

Or with god...

This is an interesting read concerning 2012 and the Mayans

apnews.myway.com/article/20091011/D9B8P09O0.html

2012 is complete garbage. No one knows when the world is ending execpt for god the father almighty. And why would we believe what the Myans wrote, who are they to say when the world ends seriosly!!!!!!:mad:

[quote="thistle, post:9, topic:179630"]
Astrology is complete rubbish.

[/quote]

???

What about the wise men? They were astrologers...

Doesn't anyone recognize the irony of putting stock in the prognostications of an extinct society that didn't even see its own doom coming? :rolleyes:

Seriously: 2012 will be less of an event than the millennium bug (Y2K -- in case you don't remember).

Peace,
Dante

[quote="DanteAlighieri, post:15, topic:179630"]
Doesn't anyone recognize the irony of putting stock in the prognostications of an extinct society that didn't even see its own doom coming? :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I was tempted to make that comment. :D

But give credit where it is due. Astrologers deserve more credit than they are typically given. Their theories were not TOTAL "rubbish", just a little overconfident, much like Quantum Magic (QM). They had moments of successful prediction. Man is just a little too lustful when it comes to wanting to "know it all". :rolleyes:

From what I understand, the Mayan calendar stops on that date. People started speculating why they would stop their calendar on that particular date, as if it had some significance. Some people decided to make the claim that this was when the world would "end".

People can believe what they want, but the Bible is pretty clear that NO ONE knows when the world with end. We are also told not to try and predict the future in anyway, so even if the end of the world is simply a low point in medicine or something, we are still to not believe in such predictions.

Personally, I think it is Satan trying to confuse people and lead them astray. What happened to the little boy who cried wolf? People stopped believing. I think this is what Satan wants to happen with the Biblical teaching of the end of the world. There have been several end of times predictions in just the past few decades (television allows for the world to hear about this) and they have all been wrong. Unfortunately, some people are going to start believing that the end of world is never going to happen, or at least not in their lifetime. Again, God has told us that no one knows the hour the master will come. The Devil is a deceiver, do not listen to him.

[quote="BerhaneSelassie, post:3, topic:179630"]
My teaching is badger them to transfer all their money in their bank account to you on December 12 2012 since they obvious don't think they will need it.

[/quote]

I like your thinking. I'll split it with you! ;)

[quote="jorgeraul3, post:14, topic:179630"]
???

What about the wise men? They were astrologers...

[/quote]

The Church teaching:

CCC 2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

You're right! The Mayan Calendar is for the birds! We'll still be here on Christmas Day this year and for years to come. Let's pray that Israel stops Iran, though. Israel deserves to live on!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.