2014 US Election Open Thread

Comments on tonight’s election

NBC projects Mitch McConnell wins in KY

FiveThirtyEight’s prediction model currently stands at:

Each party’s chance of retaining or winning control.
DEMOCRATS REPUBLICANS
22% 78%

It looks like Fox News appears to have broken the rules and announced exit poll returns before the end of voting in New Hampshire. This is frowned upon as it has the potential to influence — and possibly discourage — voters.

So Carolina Gov race : Nikki Haley projected winner by CNN

Republican Lindsey Graham of South Carolina re-elected to 3rd term in US Senate

Keep an eye on Tennessee’s Constitutional Amendment 1, which would amend the language in the state constitution to read: “Nothing in this Constitution secures or protects a right to abortion or requires the funding of an abortion.”

AP: Republican Shelley Moore Capito wins Senate seat in WV.

This was expected, so no change:

FiveThirtyEight’s prediction model currently stands at:

Each party’s chance of retaining or winning control.
DEMOCRATS REPUBLICANS
22% … 78%

NBC News projects John Kasich ® wins Ohio Governor nbcnews.to/1oikbZd

Florida Gov is shaping up to be a tight race

therepublic.com/view/story/1b825a572d654b77a59b08d786bb0632/SC–Senate-South-Carolina-Election-Scott

Tim Scott wins US Senate race and is 1st black to win statewide in SC since Reconstruction

Pretty cool!

Very disappointing. I’ve heard it said that he is contemplating a Presidential bid in 2016.

Yikes! Exit polls show 1-point race in VA Senate politi.co/1vFxyAg

I’ve heard Kasich several times in interviews. He is evasive, dull, and not ready for prime time. :shrug:

Good for my home state!

Not sure anyone outside of Ohio really knows who he is if he can’t capture the voting public’s imagination, I doubt he will be much competition for Hillary. In other words, he won’t make it past the primaries.

There’s already lawsuits flying in Florida. Florida, man. twitter.com/wsvn/status/529780771536384001

Someday, FL will learn how to vote :shrug:

Another first: Moore Capito ® will be the first woman elected to the Senate from West Virginia.

:thumbsup:

Polls are closing in AL, CT, DE, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, MS, MO, NH, NJ, OK, PA, RI, TN, DC

AP: Ed Markey wins re-election to the U.S. Senate in Massachusetts.

Republicans win Ala., Maine, Miss., both elections in Okla., and Tenn. Democrats win Ill., Mass. and N.J.

None are battleground states, all expected

Any confirmation that VA has been called for Gillespie? Saw it on some blogs, but nothing I would necessarily call credible.

I saw one site call it for Gillespie but not one of the major news organizations have. No. Virginia has just started reporting in.

The exits are being reported as tight, so that is probably what is holding a call.

NBC News: Virginia Senate race now “Too Close to Call”

Projections are that Democrat Tom Wolf will unseat Republican Tom Corbett in the Pennsylvania Governor’s race.

CNN just called it

Democrat Tim Wolf wins Pennsylvania governor’s race, defeating incumbent Republican Tom Corbett, according to CNN projection

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.