2019 CCHD campaign

Hey Social Justice Warriors can anyone explain to me why I should contribute to this? I’m not impressed with the grantees, such as Faith in Action, which is affiliated with PICO.

http://www.usccb.org/about/catholic-campaign-for-human-development/collection/index.cfm

1 Like

What is it about the goals of Faith in Action that you feel are anti-Catholic? And why the unsolicited pejorative, “social justice warrior”?

3 Likes

I wish that the USCCB would distribute the funds to local CATHOLIC groups like St. Vincent de Paul instead of national agitators.
It looks like they bring in 18 million, but in that handy little chart, it only lists about 4.5 million. Where does the other 13 million go?
Why aren’t the bishops promoting things like “stay in school”, “get a job and get married before you have children”. Can you imagine the number of inner-city Catholic schools that they could be helping with $18 million per year? Instead of closing them down saying they don’t have money?! It’s a head-scratcher to me.

3 Likes

It is your choice. If you don’t like the CCHD, contribute to something else. If you want to change USCCB policy, become a bishop.

1 Like

The bishops endorse it. We have similar in Canada. I trust the bishops. That’s good enough for me.

1 Like

The Pachamama of social doctrine. Rather…

Two charities that will result in fellow Catholics surviving by having even rudimentary medicine and something as precious as drinking water:

1 Like

It really looks like they are doing what you hoped they would. You’re just not reading the info correctly. Most is spent locally.

See 28.4% for communities/housing/schools. The 4.5 million you noted only refers to the details on “Strategic National and Regional Grants” of which Faith in Action is allocated $500,000 or 4.35% of the year’s budget.

2 Likes

$10 million may be spent locally (which is implied but not spelled out), but then there’s not much oversight or accountability. How much does a liberal archdiocese like Chicago get, and who does their funding support? “Building a just economy” concerns me and I doubt if those organizations are all supporting Catholic values.

2 Likes

US Catholic Bishops. I trust their oversight promotes Catholic values. If you need a more detailed breakdown maybe you can request it to help determine your support.

The group you mentioned, Faith in Action (Defending the Rights of Immigrants) shows $500,000. Is that the initiative you oppose?

Building a Just Economy and Protecting Workers’ Rights. Maybe you want to ask for a breakdown on that too, as you may be opposed to how they use the resources. Again, Catholic Bishops promote Catholic values.

1 Like
3 Likes

I contributed to the military chaplains fund instead.

2 Likes

Well, here’s how some of the Chicago CCHD funds are used:

2 Likes

Here’s another excellent video on the CCHD. Anyone who might be concerned where that money goes should start by watching this video and then do some research on how those funds are allocated.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.