2020 Growing closer to God

Soon it will be a new year. What can we do to grow closer to the Lord? How can we increase in virtue? What prayers would be helpful in this regard? What are specific things we can do to please God more?

2 Likes

Have a better contemplative prayer life. This year flew by with so much more responsibilities that my prayer life definitely took a turn for the worst. Over the past few weeks it has seen some improvement, with prolonged contemplative prayer (15-20 minutes) at least once a week, but with everyone making new years resolutions about health how many really focus on making prayer a habit as much as working out? No specific prayer, just being present with the Lord in adoration or with the scriptures would do wonders for me.

Pax

I hope to practice the Works of Mercy more closely.

https://www.loyolapress.com/our-catholic-faith/scripture-and-tradition/catholic-basics/catholic-beliefs-and-practices/corporal-and-spiritual-works-of-mercy

1 Like

Thanks for your replies! It seems odd that people don’t really seem to be interested in this topic.

1 Like

So what will you being doing, @la_petit_fleur?

1 Like

I’m not sure, probably something about prayer. I emailed some of the people I feel are really close to Jesus and asked them about their daily prayer life and what has aided them in growing close to God. I’m going to see if their replies spark an idea. Ascension Presents put out a really good YouTube video the other day on prayer goals for 2020 (how to get more prayer time in).

1 Like

My daily prayer consists of reciting the rosary,then my daily prayers about fifteen minutes then I finish by reading my Magnificat .About an hour time :pray:.

1 Like

I would like to do spiritual reading. Something that challenges me and gives me the opportunity to hear from God because it’s clearly not from me!

2 Likes

I prayed today that Mary the Mother of God will bring me closer to Jesus this year. I have a strong feeling this is a prayer she cannot resist answering…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.