25 Famous Scientists on God

Robert Jastrow (1925 – 2008) was an American astronomer and planetary physicist. He was a leading NASA scientist. He struggled with concepts of God and described himself as “agnostic, and not a believer.” He came to realize that the beginning of the universe, and the Big Bang pointed to a Creator. He is quoted as saying
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
%between%

25 Famous Scientists on God
by Javier Ordovas

Who says science and religion don’t mix?
Not these Nobel laureates and pioneers in science.

My favorite is the final one.
A business card and a big surprise:

"A young college student was traveling in the same railway compartment as an elderly man who was praying his Rosary. The young man dared to confront him: “Instead of praying the Rosary, why don’t you take the time to learn and educate yourself a little more? I can send you an instructive book.” The old man replied: “Please send me the book at this address, and he handed the young man his card. The card read: Luis Pasteur, Paris Institute of Science. The college student felt quite ashamed. He had planned to give advice to the most famous scholar of his time, the inventor of vaccines, esteemed worldwide and a devotee of the Rosary.”

I really like this one:

Arthur Eddingtong (1882–1946), English Astronomer Royal, mathematician and astrophysicist:
“None of the inventors of atheism was a naturalist. All of them were very mediocre philosophers.”

No offense to our atheist friends but that one made me laugh:D

The Catholic Education Resource Center has quite a variety of resources. Thanks for alerting me to it!

I appreciate how the science-faith articles are diverse, with quite different (even opposed) points of view represented.

Some of the scholars I recognize, and as far as I can tell, they are very accomplished in their fields.

Here are a few articles I recommend:

Creation, Evolution, and Thomas Aquinas

Aquinas and the Big Bang

The Pope’s Astrophysicist

Modern Physics, the Beginning, and Creation: An Interview with Physicist Dr. Stephen Barr

Modern Physics, the Beginning, and Creation

Hi, John!

Thanks for the quote and link!

…where were you (we could have really use this info and link a few months ago) when several posts were introduced (I suspect by college students) to malign the Church?

If ignorance is bliss a little unchecked knowledge is a two-ton powder keg… it seems to me that people are so eager to rip into the Church that they rather believe the myriads of unfounded anti-Catholic myths than the reality that the Church has not only not been hostile to science but has been instrumental to human development in all the spectrums of civilization.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.