29-year-old with terminal cancer advocates for the right to die with dignity

cnn.com/2014/10/07/opinion/maynard-assisted-suicide-cancer-dignity/index.html?c=homepage-t

"Because my tumor is so large, doctors prescribed full brain radiation. I read about the side effects: The hair on my scalp would have been singed off. My scalp would be left covered with first-degree burns. My quality of life, as I knew it, would be gone.

After months of research, my family and I reached a heartbreaking conclusion: There is no treatment that would save my life, and the recommended treatments would have destroyed the time I had left."

This is such a sad story. Her new life as a bride was just beginning and she got the devastating news.
As Catholics we are supposed to be against what she is planning.

The first diagnosis gave her 18 months. Then a new diagnosis.

I wonder what the medication is that they give her.
She is so pretty and seems determined to go ahead with it.
I didn’t realize this could happen in oregon.

There is a movie on Netflix called “How to die in Oregon” which discusses it. This is the beginning of the movement for nationwide euthanasia. It always begins with heartwarming stories. It will move pretty quickly to financial based decisions by healthcare providers which then leads to financial judgements on a persons value to society. As our fiscally unfeasible system adds the higher costs of the new health plan, we will see those who “add no value” to society such as the chronically ill or demented targeted for euthanasia.

But, it begins with the stories like this.

I am sorry she has cancer and will pray that she and her husband find hope in Christ before she does this.

Do not be fooled by this slickly produced agit-prop. Murder/suicide is not “death with dignity.”

7Sorrows, I was wondering about the medication myself, wondering what it is.

The rhetorics of “dying with dignity” disturbs me a lot - as if it assumes, that the ones who chose against suicide, assisted or not, are somehow undignified.

I feel sorry for her, as well as for others that might be in the same situation. I do feel, however, that the message that is being pushed into such debates is that suicide is the best solution in such cases, for the sake of everyone, included patient. Alternative ways to ease the suffering - palliative care to ease the pain, support from (and for) the family, so that the patient would feel less like a burden, spiritual counseling - are being ignored by proponents of euthanasia, deliberately or not. And this is what bothers me.

I recently had a conversation with a “retired” nurse whose views are the polar opposite of the Church’s on this very issue. She is very zealous to see that the “stigma” of assisting those in the process of dying from terminal illness aren’t “made to suffer longer than necessary,” and that those who are willing to “assist” them to die aren’t punished for their “assistance.” She then recounted for me how her family gathered around her own father who was terminally ill and when the time came, his family made sure he got “the shot.” She was cautious about disclosing to me which hospital this happened in and who in particular gave “the shot,” but did emphasize that I was nieve to think it doesn’t “happen every day in America,” that there are people in health care who have been doing this very thing for years. She also recounted to me her first experience of this type of “assistance” as a not yet licensed nursing student on the cardiology unit at the hospital where she was training. A man who was having his life extended after a heart attack by being on the unit was coded and the nursing supervisor withheld assistance for 15 minutes to give him time to pass and when 15 minutes had passed she then allowed her nurses to respond to his code. She then said that he died shortly afterwards. This woman called the nursing supervisor “the most courageous woman she had ever met!” as if this woman’s actions were heroic and with a glimmer in her eyes that said adulation. I had no words to give her and was totally shocked by her disclosures to me about these murders called health care. I said a quick prayer and turned to her and said “I’m a Catholic and these things cannot be accepted by anyone. Thou shalt not kill is not an option. It is a Commandment of God.” Then our conversation moved on and I was very grateful when I left her and got home. Talking about these things here at CAF is one thing, but actually conversing with someone about her career choices and the murders she knew of and perhaps even participated in was a little much for me. I was literally chilled by talking with her and needed deeply to get away from her. She was just a little too enthusiastic about the topic.

In the days following my encounter with her, I prayed for her and found myself thanking God for coming here to CAF because it has given me words to use in just such a situation and in a simple way, has also given me the courage to speak them. I have no idea if what little conversation I was fortunate to have with her had any direct effect in turning her away from murder as a health care option for the terminally ill. I had to leave that in God’s hands. It is too much for me and I’m only one little woman who got the opportunity to speak up for God at the right moment.

Glenda

Make no mistake-this isn’t about some mistaken and twisted concept of “dignity”. This is about cutting costs and eliminating “burdens”.

Following abortion, this was the logical conclusion. Next I suppose will be the option for parents to kill an older child, similar to Rome where the father’s rights were absolute.

Usually secobarbital or phenobarbital tablets.

Sadly, I think your words are very prophetic. This is the path that lays before us if we do not change course.

I’m not saying I support her choice, but I actually do think her decision is based on not wanting to linger for weeks or months in mind-blowing pain with no control over her body, also not wanting the ravages of metastatic cancer to be her family’s last memories of her. Watching someone die of brain cancer is beyond description with regard to the torment and misery the individual faces, often even with heavy hospice intervention.

I watched the video yesterday of this young woman,who so calmly explained why she has chosen to die on her terms.This saddened and disturbed me on so many levels,actually I can’t stop thinking about it.
Her attitude is reflective of the narcissistic mindset so prevalent today.Live and die on “my” terms.:frowning:

No doubt the progressives will tug at heart strings in an attempt to make this an emotional argument, instead of a logical one.

OK, here’s the logical one. If we had a pet who was suffering such agony and torment, we wouldn’t think twice about having them peacefully put down. Yet, a human going through said agony, and who is still in sound enough mind to make a life or death decision about his or her own fate, we would deny them this privilege on grounds of dogma, and thus let them continue in utter agony until death. :confused:

May God bless this young woman.

This is a personal decision which is hers alone to make. No one on this forum can make these types of decisions for anyone other than themselves.

Exactly. I do believe in life from conception to “natural” death. Natural death would be dying of old age. There’s nothing natural in this situation.

Going off of this line of thought a bit more, this really how these things gain traction. We see a young healthy looking person with a heart-breaking story speaking so matter-of-factly about her decision. She is adamant that this is all about her choice and others are free to make their own choice. It is difficult not to feel for her in her situation.

But what ends up happening is that, since this decision is framed as being what’s in the best interest of her and her family, people start applying that principle to everyone. And then the judgments come out. If someone does not choose this option, they are not being respectful of their family. They are being a burden. And, of course, most of us do not want to be a burden on our family. So we will start to see people basically being guilted in to choosing death “so as not to be a burden.”

And, like Church Soldier said, it won’t take long for insurance companies to realize that it costs a lot less money to pay for a dose of “medicine” that will kill someone rather than months (or years) of expensive procedures and treatments. We may find ourselves at the point where an insurance company will classify palliative care as something “optional” which must be paid out of pocket because the cheaper option of death is readily available at no cost to the insured.

You are a Catholic,so I am going to respond to you in that vein.As Catholics we believe in the merits of redemptive suffering.To embrace the trials in our lives as an opportunity to unite with Christ and His suffering on the Cross.
This gives meaning to the often times unexplainable suffering that comes our way.A chance to make expiation for our sins therefore,shortening our time in Purgatory.
Add to that,nothing is impossible with God.To take matters into our own hands is giving into despair.
No mention of this young woman’s spirituality,however,I would be willing to bet she isn’t of that mind.

Amen,

This answer has been given by God to man on the cross of Jesus Christ. St John Paul II

:getholy:

The Right to Die movement is nothing new in history.

However, insurance companies would love us to to just end it vs linger and explore treatments that won’t help.

Under the Right to Die logic, those who have painful, expensive and chronic diseases such as AIDS, ALS, MS and Diabetes should just pull the plug upon receiving a diagnosis before treatment even begins.

Nobody wants brain cancer, and nobody wants to die a messy death like that. But how is her suffering measured legally to the point where a self-inflicted death is considered “dignified”? What scale governs the existence of suffering?

This poor girl. 29 and in misery. I’d be lying to say I didn’t face death’s door once in my life (and I’m 29, too), and the thought of a early death seemed preferable.

But offing yourself on a planned date isn’t doing a service to those suffering and who want to live in some way, no matter how hard it is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.