2nd baptism for a child formerly catholic and now attending a different church

Hello, I’m new to this link and am searching for advice. My daugher and grand daughter who were baptised catholic are now attending a different denomination. She invited us to her church and party for her daughters
baptism. She is 5. I mentioned to her that she’s already baptised and I respectfully declined the offer. Was I wrong?

No you were right as far as I personally am concerned.

Does the new denomination know she has already been baptised? I would be surprised they would do it if they knew it had already been done.

I don’t think you were in the wrong, personally.

If they are Baptist, Nazarene, or Pentecostal, there’s a very good chance that they don’t recognize her baptism as an infant as valid. They would do the same if she were baptized as an infant in a Presbyterian or Lutheran church. That said, in my experience, five is really young for those groups.

If they are paedobaptists, then there is still the possibility that they may see the baptism as invalid since it was done in the Catholic Church. It’s hard to say, but particularly anti-Catholic denominations may hold that view.

Either way, declining seems to be a good move. Even if nothing is happening sacramentally at the baptism, someone is still acting as-if the Catholic baptism didn’t count, and going would appear to agree with that.

Some denominations see baptism as a sign of affiliation with that denomination. I don’t think that’s common though.

St. Paul teaches us that there “is one Lord, one faith and one baptism.” Eph 4:5

Churches that do not recognize their baptism are highly problematic.

Yes, you are correct in not attending.

A second “baptism” does nothing, because there is no such thing. All mainline Protestant churches recognize Catholic baptism.

Anyone that is baptized validly (with water, Trinitarian formula, and proper intent) has become a member of the Catholic Church. That is the one Church that Jesus started. If they also receive the sacraments of Confirmation and the Eucharist they are fully initiated Catholics.

Invite your daughter and granddaughter back to the Barque of Peter, where they belong,
Deacon Christopher

It is not the child’s fault that your daughter has made such a choice. It is very sad when someone chooses to repudiate their faith by getting re-baptized. Pray for them daily. Set a good example for them. Try to stay involved in their lives.

No you weren’t wrong. If you are uncomfortable with this religious rite, declining is fine- the daughter knows you’re Catholic.

Some denominations don’t recognize infant baptism, others baptize all new members of their churches. It isn’t particular unusual that they would want to baptize her, I wouldn’t take personal offense

I don’t think you were particularly wrong, that said it wouldn’t have hurt either.

I always respected my Grandfather on his view on faith. He was a staunch Catholic who had no problem mildly grilling me on whether I was going to church while at college. Truth was, not much, but I’m certain I was much better than the majority. He however grew immensely with his view on ecumenicalism. While he died a few years ago, I remember him a few times remarking with pride on how so much of his family still regularly attended church. Three of 5 his children are still strongly Catholic and the other two are very active. He has 3 of 16 grandchildren that are or are married to Pastors. I can also bet that virtually all of my cousins attend church at least for Holidays and many 2/3rd attend on a regular basis. He was a Dutch immigrant who saw virtually all of his family lose faith and I think that formed much of his viewpoint.

This is where I’m coming from with regard to your question.

You are not wrong that your granddaughter is already baptized. I wouldn’t go to the church to witness a non-baptism. The party afterwards, that might be something you could attend if you have explained to your daughter your position on this attempt at “rebaptism”.

Having read through the other replies on this thread, I’d say the question you need to answer in your own mind is this: Which is more important to you, to take part in an important family event with your daughter and granddaughter, or to make sure they realize how severely disapproving you are of their religious choices?

I am reminded of a Jewish couple I know, whose married daughter hasn’t set foot in their home for several years because she and her husband have switched to a strictly Orthodox synagogue and they disapprove of her parents’ laxity in allowing non-kosher food products into their home.

A long time ago I asked our priest what to do when a niece was being baptized in a Presbyterian church. He said we should attend to maintain good family relations.

Remember, your loved ones will always be Catholic. There is no such thing as a “former Catholic”. People may be non-practicing Catholics, but, the door is always open for them to begin practicing once again!

Sadly, for those who are already validly baptized, this is an act that says Christ’s Church’s baptism is somehow lacking.

That has been my impression with regards to non-denominational Christians where I live. They see baptism as a public affirmation of their faith but they consider their obedience in being baptized of greater significance than baptism in and of itself .

While non-denoms aren’t homogeneous in belief, they seem more likely to attract fallen-away Catholics than any main-line Christian sect.

A lot of non-Catholics just don’t see baptism as a necessary, one-time-only event that produces and indelible mark on the soul. Even though, the same baptism performed by the non-Catholics is usually accepted by the Catholic Church.

For me the issue is about Love…i think one can kindly make the point about her being already baptised and what that means, presumably to her mother as well. At 5 i doubt that the proposed baptism would have been seen as Believer Baptism.
My thought is that closing a door to her on this issue could make difficulties in relationships; and the g/child - g’parent relationship is such a wonderful gift from God. And you will have much time and many opportunities to love her into understanding.
Jesus doesn’t seem to be reported as saying that by our doctrines will we be known, but by our fruits - ie loving as Christ.
Sending you Love in your struggle with this.
Pax.

You were right to decline the invitation.

I am seeing a few threads today on “can I go to a non-catholic………”. And a lot of the answers are surprising me, mostly because it feels like, “don’t do it, they are not like us, we are better than them”.

Really guys? Really? Have we taken to discriminating others now? Are we really above them? Is this really who we are? Because if I weren’t already catholic, I would be questioning why I would want to join such an unkind and uncharitable church.

Jesus told us to love indiscriminately, to show compassion to everyone, yes, everyone, even our enemies. Shunning a person just because they don’t think like us does not feel like a teaching from Jesus….just saying. Jesus told us to love and forgive anything….I sure am not seeing a lot of love or forgiveness in the answers, on the contrary, a lot seems very judgemental.

I may not know much, but I do know throwing the first stone was never ever approved by Jesus.

I don’t think that Baptists or Pentecostals would baptize a 5 year old. I was raised Baptist and wasn’t baptized until I was 13.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.