2nd Corinthians help

The Protestant teaching ( where I used to attend) taught that being weaned from the milk was to continue past basic teaching such as the passion, that was for newborn Christians.
We are to go on to strong meat.
I would like a Catholic view-understanding of this.
Well I just found out I have to,leave for a while, I will be checking back for answers.
Thanks

Good question. I await those better able to answer......

[quote="IneedGod, post:1, topic:320612"]
The Protestant teaching ( where I used to attend) taught that being weaned from the milk was to continue past basic teaching such as the passion, that was for newborn Christians.
Well I just found out I have to,leave for a while, I will be checking back for answers.
Thanks

[/quote]

The Catholic view is the same.

Peace
James

[quote="IneedGod, post:1, topic:320612"]
Thanks

[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand. What is so milk-like about the passion-and what, as an example, would constitute strong meat?

Thank you JRKH,
In answer to the question "why the passion is milk" although most important it is seen as just the begining. The first "food" we need to consume in order to live. We would die without it however stronger "meat" is needed in order to continue to grow in Christ.
These were seen as teachings on ie proper order, how to completely give your life over to Christ, Allegories explained etc.

I hope I explained that well enough..
Thanks and God bless

[quote="fhansen, post:4, topic:320612"]
I'm not sure I understand. What is so milk-like about the passion-and what, as an example, would constitute strong meat?

[/quote]

Not being protestant I can only guess...but it seems that the "good news" that Paul spread was Christ's death and resurrection - the need to repent and to be baptized.

These basic truths then would be the "milk".

Moving beyond the mil and into the meat is to delve deeper - to mature and grow in holiness. To be sure, there is much "meat" to be found in the passion...just as there is both milk and meat in the command to "Love one another"....

I think that one "meaty" aspect that Catholics embrace but that some protestants do not is the idea of "redemptive suffering.

Peace
James

Good answer JRKH,
You expressed it better than I could. :)

[quote="JRKH, post:6, topic:320612"]
Not being protestant I can only guess...but it seems that the "good news" that Paul spread was Christ's death and resurrection - the need to repent and to be baptized.

Moving beyond the mil and into the meat is to delve deeper - to mature and grow in holiness. To be sure, there is much "meat" to be found in the passion...just as there is both milk and meat in the command to "Love one another"....

I think that one "meaty" aspect that Catholics embrace but that some protestants do not is the idea of "redemptive suffering.

Peace
James

[/quote]

I am not sure I understand redemptive suffering as yet. Time to go to the foot washing. I will be back later. Thanks :)

[quote="JRKH, post:6, topic:320612"]

Peace
James

[/quote]

I see. Thank you.

I think the Protestants when talking about “milk” and “meat” teachings are referring to 1st Corinthians 3:2.

The Corinthians were rejecting proper teaching authority and Paul was correcting that. And they were doing this possibly (falsely) in the name of various Churchmen, or in the name of others and Paul just inserted the names of Churchmen for his example of what they are doing.

That’s WHY Paul says “Chloe’s people” contacted him earlier in this same letter to the Corinthians. Because they were rejecting proper authority. Unfortunately this is the default position in Protestantism.

**1st CORINTHIANS 3:1-3 ** 1 But I, brethren, could not address you as spiritual men, but as men of the flesh, as babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk, not solid food; for you were not ready for it; and even yet you are not ready, 3 for you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh, and behaving like ordinary men?

The Protestants then seem to dovetail Hebrews 6:1-2 onto that.

**HEBREWS 6:1-2 ** 1 Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of
repentance from dead works and
of faith toward God,
2 with instruction about ablutions,
the laying on of hands,
the resurrection of the dead,
and eternal judgment.

Notice St. Paul (the probable author of the book of Hebrews but that has been debated) says let’s not go through the foundation of basic or elementary doctrine again here.

Teachings that St. Paul teaches are “foundational” doctrines and basic or “elementary doctrines” that he shouldn’t have to re-teach or lay (the foundation for) again here ("Let US leave . . . ").

He doesn’t mean we should NOT teach these doctrines anymore, but rather we need to build on that foundation of correct teaching.

These very central or BASIC doctrines that he is going to build upon here include:

1. Repentance from dead works (not ALL works incidentally are “DEAD” works).
  2. Faith toward God.
  3. Instruction about ablutions (ablutions are Baptismal washings).
  4. The Laying on of Hands (concerns Confirmation and The Priesthood which now in the New Testamant is not a mere flesh and blood Priesthood as in descendents of Aaron, but a share in the priesthood of Jesus Christ to varying degrees).
  5. The Resurrection of the Dead.
  6. Eternal Judgment.

Protestants get these basic teachings wrong and so the teachings they build upon are often wrong too. I think that’s the whole point of Tim Staples recent article: “Error Begets Error” .

Unfortunately Protestants reject the proper order of authority. They carry out “private interpretation” which basically means everyone is there own pope (although they wouldn’t put it that way).

Protestants also conflate ALL works with what Hebrews talks about “dead works” which are the Old Covenant ritual works of law (such as circumcision) that cannot get you to Heaven. They lump “God at work IN YOU” (what Steve Wood calls “grace works” with mere circumcision). Grace works can be seen in Philippians 2:12-13, Galatians 2:20, 2nd Corinthians 4:11 and probably close to a dozen other verses in the New Testament.

Protestants also get it only partially correct on their teachings about “faith toward God” often asserting an incorrect doctrine of “justification by faith ALONE”.

Of course faith is absolutely necessary for salvation and that is correct. The ALONE part is incorrect.

Many Protestants deny Baptismal regeneration.

Many Protestants deny the share that we have in the New Testament in the Priesthood of Christ and how we have that share in differing degrees (priesthood of all believers for the laity and Ministerial Priesthood for the clergy).

Many Protestants deny Confirmation and incorrectly assert either nothing at all or that they themselves are confirming before the community their faith in Christ (which is a fine thing to do but it is not “Confirmation”).

Some of the offshoots of the Protestants seem to deny the Resurrection of the body. I think a JW was trying to assert that to me but it was so confusing I cannot say for sure.

Some Bible-only followers don’t know the difference between the “Particular Judgment” and the “General Judgment”.

They are very good at emphasizing “Christ crucified” though (1st Corinthians 1:23). This is commendable.

This has been my experience at least when dealing with Protestants.

As for Catholics, as has been stated: We agree.

We should build upon these basic teachings.

One of the best ways to do that is to read the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) in my opinion.

Teach and evangelize others too. Especially within our own homes but beyond there as well.

And our building upon these foundational teachings is not ONLY on a natural level but supernatural as well.

Frequent the Confessional. “Man up” (or “Woman up” as the case may be) to your sins and convict yourself to the Priest. If you confess your sins the blood of Christ washes you from your unrighteousness (1st Epistle of John 1:6-10). As this occurs the Lord Jesus will help you see more and more.

Try to spend time in front of the Blessed Sacrament in Adoration worshipping Jesus who is the Messiah, who is God almighty who took upon Himself a flesh nature, who is true God and true Man. I think Scott Hahn refers to it as “Get a SON burn”.

Be devoted to our Mother Mary and ask the Blessed Mother’s intercession on your behalf, who Herself is an archetype (“typus” CCC 967) of the Church (of which we should also be devoted to).

Ask for the intercession of the Communion of Saints as well.

Fasting is good too. It doesn’t have to be overdone. You could have a bread and water meal once in awhile, say on Wednesdays and Fridays. Or a reduced-amount meal on Wednesdays and Fridays or whatever. Your Confessor would probably help you figure that out.

Hope this all helps.

God bless.

Incidentally IneedGod:

I see you list yourself as an RCIA candidate. Welcome home! Great to have you aboard. Please pray for me too OK?

God bless.

Cathoholic

Thank you all for your time, shared knowledge and prayers. I will remember you Cathoholic!
:D:signofcross::highprayer: 3-30-13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.