2nd nurse with Ebola called CDC before boarding

In the case of Amber Vinson, the Dallas nurse who flew commercially as she was becoming ill with Ebola, one health official said “somebody dropped the ball.”

Infected Ebola healthcare worker flew on commercial flight
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that Vinson called the agency several times before flying, saying that she had a fever with a temperature of 99.5 degrees. But because her fever wasn’t 100.4 degrees or higher, she didn’t officially fall into the group of “high risk” and was allowed to fly.

Officials in the U.S. have been trying to calm fears over the Ebola crisis, but time and again events have overtaken their assurances.

More:
cbsnews.com/news/ebola-nurse-called-cdc-several-times/

Dang! :frowning:

she should never have been allowed to leave her apartment in the first place. Neither should any of the other 70 health care providers who were hands on with Mr. Duncan in the peak of his illness. What on earth possessed her to decide to fly anyway?

I think the bigger question is what on earth pssessed the CDC to clear her to fly?

The ball has been dropped countless times ever since the first case of Ebola landed in the U.S. This kind of incompetence is going to be the end of us.

Regardless of what the CDC said, I wouldn’t even have left my house for the 21 days of monitoring, let alone gotten on 2 commercial aircraft.

Apparently her wedding planning was more important to her :mad:

If the foremost authority on controlling infectious diseases told you that it’s safe to travel, the assumption is that it’s safe to travel. I don’t think we should be blaming her for someone elses incompetence.

How does one " not leave the house" for 21 days? Even if she didn’t travel on the plane, how does she get her shopping done? And her errands? How about the adverse psychological effects of utter isolation? Will she still get paid by her job for the time she’s sitting all alone in her house? Who will bring the necessities like food?

Was she given the choice of assignments, or was she just given this patient to care for? And, not to drail the thread too much, what are the ethics for the employer to assign this nurse to a patient who’s care will essentially derail her life for three weeks?

I get what you’re sying about public health, but there are a lot of issues surrounding quarantining people.

Besides, the CDC gave her the go ahead.

I realize it is fun to blame the CDC, but what about hospital management. They told everyone they were following protocals even when they weren’t. They told nurses who were concerned about their necks to just wrap surgical tape around ithe exposed areas. It doesn’t appear that they provided even the same level of garments that asbestos removal workers get.

Did they provide the CDC with a list of all the workers? Did they tell the truth about the protective gear? We know they lied in their press conferences.

back in the days of measles outbreaks, yes people were expected to actually stay home. Is it too much to ask to live off of rice for a week or two? for pete’s sake. what’s more important, running for your take out soup? Or making sure you don’t infect HUNDREDS of other people with the world’s most deadly virus? Why is this so hard for modern Americans to accept? Life may not be business as usual for a while!

Hi savedbygrace!

Here’s the thing–the nurse showed up for work. She was told to take care of this patient. And she did. She was told by the CDC she could fly. And she did.

And now some people are here declaring that, in her shoes, they would have totally stopped their entire life cold for 21 days!

I’m sorry, but I really doubt that.

Imagine it was you, today, with all the stuff you have to get done, and all your responsibilities, etc. you show up to work and Bingo! Your life is put on hold. For 21 days.

I’m not saying that quarantine is a bad thing. And I’m not even saying the previous posters are wrong. But when I hear people blame the nurse and say what they would have done. I’m sorry, but I doubt it.

I completely agree. It is VERY hard to stay home for 21 days and go nowhere. I’m currently pregnant with HG and I’ve been cooped up in this house since early September. I can’t go anywhere because as soon as I get up and walk, I start feeling like I need to puke. I’m going straight out of my mind being cooped up in this house. I I don’t have any choice in the matter because I’m too sick to leave. There is no way most people would do this voluntarily when they feel fine. No way.

I pray for her speedy recovery.

No doubt it was a shock that this patient arrived at her hospital. Clearly the whole facility was shocked. No one expects to have to face this type of situation. But let’s be fair: the people on the flight from Ohio to Texas also did not expect to be sitting next to a patient with Ebola symptoms. They didn’t ask for that either. Now they are asked to stay in a real, at home 21 day quarantine. nypost.com/2014/10/17/male-models-quarantine-themselves-after-sitting-near-ebola-nurse-on-flight/

She wasn’t told she could fly. It was more that she wasn’t told not to. I know, splitting hairs. Also, if anything, it was that she could return to TX, after she flew out already.

I think if it was me I would be so paranoid I’d be home, or better yet, somewhere else away from my kids, in isolation. Yes I would give up all those basic tasks that I have to do this week. They will still be there in a month. Giving someone else EBOLA isn’t worth running to pick up my dry cleaning. As an RN, having seen Mr. Duncan die, she would have known very, very graphically that she had a possibility of being exposed. It definitely went through her mind, I’m sure of it- and she decided she would go ahead and leave home regardless of the possibility of exposure and possible infection. For a lot of us, that feels irresponsible.

I don’t care if the CDC did tell me it was ok to travel. I would have waited out the 21 days, knowing that I’d been in direct contact with an ebola patient. I never even would have asked if I could travel, as long as it was less than the 21 days to show symptoms.

Nurses frequently deal with highly infectious patients. They are not told to go into quarantine every time they deal with a measles patient or a chicken pox patient or a TB patient or a flu patient.

As for staying home for 21 days, how many of us will stay home for just 1 day, much less 7 days when we have a cold and we know we are sick? Do we stay at least 6 feet from everyone.

Do any of us quarantine ourselves everytime we come into contact with someone with flu symptoms? That would mean a minimum of 5 days each time. You are contagious before you ever show symptoms.

And yes, people do die from the flu, especially the elderly, and people with diabetes/aids/other immune diseases. Perhaps not at the same rate as from Ebola, but they do die.

It’s not like friends, family or even social service workers couldn’t have been arranged to deliver food. They can leave it outside and once they are gone, you go get it. Heck now days even grocery stores and Amazon deliver food straight to your door and you don’t have to sign for it.

Flu, TB and chicken box don’t have a 50-70% mortality rate. And yes I’m one of those people that stays home when I’m sick, warns anyone that wants to come over if someone is sick in the house.

So you never travel (including to stores, church, etc) after you’ve been in direct contact with a person who is exhibiting cold or flu symptoms?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.