2nd Readings from Revelation?

Maybe I just wasn’t paying close attention in prior years, but on every Sunday since Easter, our Second Reading has been from Revelation. I don’t recall such emphasis John’s apocryphal text in the Mass before. Is this a new cycle of readings or am I just forgetful?

Revelation is used for Reading II only in Year C of the lectionary. It is definitely a canonical book, not apocryphal in Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox Bibles. The cycle of readings has not changed. It is just that in year A reading II is from 1 Peter on the Sundays after Easter, and in year B reading II is from 1 John on the Sundays after Easter.

Revelation is not apocryphal. It is used in the readings of the Sundays after Easter, Cycle C and on certain feasts of the year.

I found the website once of the theological college that keeps track (or creates?) them. It seems to be used in all churches in the US (Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, etc.). I was kind of surprised, too – I always thought it was mostly during Lent that it was read.

Jennifer G, you are correct in that many churches use the same lectionary. Here is a link to the lectionary. oremus.org/lectionary.html

Perhaps the OP meant “apocalyptic” rather than “apocryphal” ? :hmmm:

tee

Indeed, the alternative title of Revelation is Apocalypse.

Where ''apocalyptic" would refer to the style of writing used, (which is also used in the OT Book of Daniel.)

apokryptein = to hide away

apokalyptein = to uncover

Pretty much. Easily confused by those who might not know.

That’s what I thought too. No denomination that uses the Bible that I know of believes that Revelations is not inspired.

You are correct. I meant “little a” apochryphal. I didn’t intend to infer the formal “Apocryphal” categorization.

Um, no. Really: Big A or little a, they are two different words with two different meanings.

apocryphal - Of dubious authenticity; non-canonical.

apocalyptic - Relating to the apocalypse or end-times.

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.