3:00 pm vs 3:00 am

This thread leaves me with one burning question in my head…does the devil observe Daylight Savings Time? :wink:

3 AM is, indeed, the “witching hour” and is used not only by demons, but also by those Satanists who worship and employ demons to do their bidding.This is, perhaps, an indication of where the problems between you and your husband arise. It should make you both think.

Exactly what I was thinking, also. Why give the devil satisfaction by ‘dedicating’ an hour to him? Does he need any more encouragement?

[quote=ack] This thread leaves me with one burning question in my head…does the devil observe Daylight Savings Time?
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

[quote=nobeerinheaven]3 AM is, indeed, the “witching hour” and is used not only by demons, but also by those Satanists who worship and employ demons to do their bidding.This is, perhaps, an indication of where the problems between you and your husband arise. It should make you both think.
[/quote]

Ahh, Wikipedia… that ever-reliable source. :smiley: Just because Satanists do it, does it mean it’s true? Again, why give those who ally themselves with the devil more excuses to do mischief?

I just finished Ray Bradbury’s “Something Wicked THis Way Comes”. There was one section that REALLY stuck with me:

(Please forgive the use of the Lord’s name…it’s not mine, I just quoted Bradbury.)

Three in the morning, thought Charles Holloway, seated on the edge of his bed. Why did the train come at that hour?

For, he thought, it’s a special hour. Women never wake then, do they? THey sleep the sleep of babes and children. But men in middle age? They know that hour well. Oh God, midnight’s not bad, you wake and go back to sleep, one or two’s not bad, you toss but sleep again. Five or six in the morning, ther’s hope, for dawn’s just under the horizon. But three, now, Christ, three A.M.! Doctors say the body’s at low tide then. The soul is out. The blood moves slow. You’re the nearest to dead you’ll ever be save dying. Sleep is a patch of death, but three in the morn, full wide-eyed staring, is living death! You dream with your eyes open. God, if you had strength to rouse up, you’d slaughter your half-dreams with buckshot! But no, you like pinned to a deep well-bottom that’s burned dry. THe moon rolls by to look at you down there, with its idiot face. It’s a long way back to sunset, a far way on to dawn, so you summon all the fool things of your life, the stupid lovely things done with people known so very well who are now so very dead-- And wasn’t it true, had he read it somewhere, more people in hospitals die at 3 AM than at any other time…?

Stop! He cried silently.
“Charlie?” his wife said in her sleep.
Slowly, he took off the other shoe.
His wife smiled in her sleep.
Why?
She’s immortal. She has a son.
Your son too!

But what father ever really believes it? He carries no burden, he feels no pain. What man, like woman, lies down in darkness and gets up with child? THe gentle, smiling ones own the good secret. O, what strange wonderful clocks women are. THey nest in Time. They make the flesh that holds fast and binds eternity. They live inside the gift, know power, accept, and not mention it. WHy speak of Time when you are Time, and shape the universal moments, as they pass, into warmth and action? How men envy and often hate these warm clocks, these wives, who know they will live forever. So what do we do? We men turn terribly mean, because we can’t hold to the world or ourselves or anything. We are blind to continuity, all breaks down, falls, melts, stops, rots, or runs away. SO, since we cannot shape Time, where does that leave men? Sleeples. Staring.

Three AM. That’s our reward. Three in the morn. The soul’s midnight. THe tide goes out, the soul ebbs. And a train arrives at an hour of despair…Why?

That passage is pure literary magic to me. It really struck a chord with me. I don’t know why. But, your post reminded me of it. WHat an absolutely fantastic book.

Sorry if it doesn’t help much. THe phrases “the soul’s midnight” “the soul is at low tide” just reminded me of your post.

(I’ve been absolutely HOOKED on Bradbury lately. What a writer.)

You are making a mistake in thinking that anyone declares the hour for Satan. He is the current ruler of this world, and God permits his rule to have certain definite characteristics. One of these, which is very widely observed among Catholic exorcists, is that 3 AM is an hour during which many observable manifestations of evil occur. It is a common phenomenon, and you should thank God you have never had an experience to confirm something fairly widespread. That said, you should also recognize that many people have had these experiences and not denigrate them by suggesting they’ve somehow *offered *that hour to demons through the recognition that the demons are regularly active during that point in the night.

I practiced witchcraft for a number of years, and the manifestation of evil doesn’t care what time it is. It takes what it can get.

God rules my world, and that includes 3 a.m. :cool:

Pious tradition teaches that Jesus died at about 3 PM. So yes, 3 PM is the Hour of Mercy, just as Fridays are special (and not for the TGIF happy hour).

OP- bring a rosary to bed with you. Tuck it under your pillow. When you get the urge to wake up, start saying the rosary. You will be asleep in no time.

I had a friend (now a Franciscan) who used to always say, “Remember that when you’re being tempted, at the name of Jesus, the game CAN’T EVEN BEGIN!!!”. Remember that the devil has no power over you without your permission and that you belong to Christ. While the greatest feat the devil ever accomplished was convincing the world he didn’t exist, there’s a danger in believing in him too much. Relax and let Christ take over!!! Let satan search for souls elsewhere… his days are numbered anyway.

If you did practice witchcraft, then you are well aware that there is a dramatic diversity of approaches, from low magick to high ceremonial, from Enochian to Wicca. 3 AM is indeed employed by a large cross section in this diverse array, though (given the decentralization of the religious practice) there is no necessity in practicing witchcraft in this way. There is also ample evidence, as I alluded to previously, of increase demonic activity during these times (from reliable priests whose Bishop appointed function is to exorcise demons). There is also increased demonic activity during certain times in the calender, corresponding to holidays and other days of importance.

Though in general what you say is true, you should be weary of the sin of presumption. Padre Pio himself, a man who certainly walked with God and enjoyed his general protection, was regularly beaten by demons - literally beaten, with bruises. God permits the manifestation of evil with the intention of purifying us. For many, that purification consists in calling out for the Lord’s help and he will console us with it. However there are people (some of whom are actually on this board) who must deal with demonic activity despite having fairly actively Catholic lives - regular mass and reception of the sacraments, actively prays, etc. Don’t be fooled into thinking of either God or Satan as a predictable sort: there is no guarantee that calling out “the name of Jesus” will immediately force God to intervene and prevent a devil’s manifestation.

Just as an aside:

Amityville Horror had a 3:11AM problem too. Movies and fiction are what propels it – fear: rational or not – make it reality, even if it’s not necessary.

I won’t give into fear as fear is the Devil’s power-source.

Demon’s too.

But the quote about women sleeping soundly through the hour by Bradbury is wrong – for I am awake too. It’s when the baby needs to nurse. Before his birth it’s when the baby got to stirring and I was up just eating, drinking water etc. So it was through pregnancy and into his newborn days. Sorry – but just can’t equate that with evil.

OP I don’t think your problem is the “devil hour” but other stresses in your life waking you up like clock-work. Now that you have added fear of the devil into your sub-conscious, you’ll keep waking up at the same time. I have a fear of my kids being late to school, so I don’t need an alarm. My concern is that your focus and fear about that time of day may actually welcome evil junk in your life, so please follow other’s advice by placing a rosary under your pillow, remember every hour belongs to God alone, quit focusing on the evil or fear and you’ll forget it in no time.

But do continue work on your marriage.

Let the man sleep. Even if you are mad…or maybe sleep in separate rooms until your anger subsides. Quit focusing on times, and just try to get some rest.

“Low magick to high ceremonial”: only addressing wicca and enochian? That is ***all ***that you reference? Border’s/Barnes and Noble witchcraft is hardly a threat…it’s the real “high magick” that is truly the threat…

And it has nothing to do with the dead pagan gods.

Nor does it have to do with 3AM. :rolleyes: Look at moon cycles.

This woman is waking every night with anxiety. She’s waking because she is hurt. She’s noticing there is a certain timeliness to the pattern. I have the same pattern in pregnancy and post-partum, but I am not upset or stressed. The difference is that she is hurt, sad and suspicious. I am happy, fulfilled and celebrating a new life. Her fear, stress and pain forces her to look for a reason to why, mine makes me look for something good on cable because I am rarely allowed a moment to watch tv.

BUT, and I will say, if she is fearful and looking for the “devil in the details” – she’ll find it. Again, demons feed on fear.

So OP, accept this for what it is, and follow the advice of others. Pray, quit worrying, and try to get some sleep.:cool:

I’m just trying to point out it is meant to mock the hour of Christ’s death. The reference of the television show is that if you happen to see it, they explain it on there as well. That is if you watch TV…

I’m well-aware of many things, much of which exists because people want it to. And, just to clarify, I have no doubt at all there is evil in this world, some of which manifests into the physical world on occasion, but it doesn’t have its own “hour of evil.”

Please cite your scholarly sources in support of your claim of “ample evidence.”

There’s a new movie out - something to do with the number 23 - must be the devil’s day… :thumbsup:

:clapping: :smiley:

More prayers for your erazo. :hug1:

when I wake up in the middle of the night, unless it is due to a symptom of illness, it is for me always a sign I have been neglecting my prayer life and need to pray. Now.

There seems to be way more contentiousness than there needs to be. I think that’s because the academic and pastoral approaches are knocking heads. While I believe the op is primarily asking a pastoral question which should be the main focus, she does ask academic questions and those should be treated as well and not just dismissed as silly.

I’ll get the academic out of the way first, the Chruch teaches that evil spirits exist, and that “The Devil possesses a certain dominion over mankind by reason of Adam’s sin.” (de Fide). The evil spirits work primarily in temptation, in rare cases can physically harass us called oppression, and in extremely rare cases, possession.

As others said, since the occult/new age whatchacallit is such a mish-mash that there is no settled principle on when the so-called witching hour is, BUT it is obvious that many practitioners of it believe that their rituals, spells, etc. are more potent and certain times than others. Some say midnight, others say midnight of the full moon, and some say 3:00am. My reasonable guess is that the more an occult practice is explicitly anti-Christian, the more likely the 3:00am time is favored.

Whether there is anything inherently significant about 3am for evil spirits is another academic question, but I’ll let that go. What is more important I think is that there are likely people in given time zone running around at 3am invoking the power of evil spirits and it does not matter if they’ve seen too many movies or are off their rockers or not. It is reasonable to suggest that when people are increasing occult practices at 3am, there is more demonic activity at that time as well.

Phew! So much for the nerd answer. On the to good news of the pastoral answer, and it’s much shorter. Like everyone said, turn to Jesus in prayer. The Church is actually the only healthy skeptic in town. That is, when someone claims a miracle, apparition, or demonic possession, the first thing they do is look to natural explanations and only start entertaining the supernatural when all the natural ones have been eliminated. That is the same model the op should be following. In this case, we have a perfect natural explanation–a rocky marriage. The 3am stuff is really a distracting side issue. It can easily be eliminated by prayer instead of initiating a showdown with a sleepy hubby or calling Ghostbusters. Even in the remote possilbilty that there is specific demonic activity, it’s limited to plain ol’ temptation which everyone has to deal with day in day out. Work on the marriage and let the paranormal stuff go.

Amazing that I saw this thread just now–because I too have been waking between 3-3:30 a.m. for the last few nights now. :confused:

Annie, did the fruit of those midnight prayers become known to you? That is, if you were awakened and needed to pray right then, did the reason later become apparent to you?

Just curious. . . :slight_smile:

Sorry if this has been stated before -but it is believed the devil uses 3am as a perversion of the time of Jesus’s death, 3pm. It’s not that it “belongs” to the evil one,but it is the “bewitching” hour used as a perversion of that redeeming and blessed event.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.