3,000 years ago, it ruled the mideast, now blown to pieces

NIMRUD, Iraq (AP) – The chilly December wind whipped rain across the strewn wreckage of a city that, nearly 3,000 years ago, ruled almost the entire Middle East. Rivulets of water ran through the dirt, washing away chunks of ancient stone.

The city of Nimrud in northern Iraq is in pieces, victim of the Islamic State group’s fervor to erase history. The remains of its palaces and temples, once lined in brilliant reliefs of gods and kings, have been blown up. The statues of winged bulls that once guarded the site are hacked to bits. Its towering ziggurat, or step pyramid, has been bulldozed…

…With the government and military still absorbed in fighting the war against the Islamic State group in nearby Mosul, the wreckage of the Assyrian Empire’s ancient capital lies unprotected and vulnerable to looters.

More:
hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_ISLAMIC_STATE_ANTIQUITIES_ABRIDGED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-12-31-07-10-59

Agatha Christie had little-known role in ancient Nimrud

NIMRUD, Iraq (AP) — Her diligence and face cream cleaned Nimrud’s most famous ivory. She captured the archaeological dig on celluloid and Kodak film, developing the prints in water painstakingly filtered from the nearby Tigris River.

apnews.com/27e13478042249e8b00d25a73ddee97e/Agatha-Christie-had-little-known-role-in-ancient-Nimrud?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

These vicious, psychopathic killers have murdered countless men, women, and children in the name of their hideous ideology. It comes as no surprise they would destroy priceless archeological treasures. I think the Taliban did similar things in Afghanistan.

I’ve got no more admiration for ISIS than most of the other readers on CAF, but I couldn’t help thinking of Percy Bysshe Shelley’s poem, “Ozymandias”, when I read the article -

"OZIMANDIUS" BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

In four thousand years will Washington DC appear any different? Or will it be more like Rome, broken columns and abandoned shells of once majestic building? Nothing last forever not even the earth and sky, to paraphrase a 70’s band.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.