3 Columbus churches vandalized with graffiti overnight

wthr.com/story/26416131/2014/08/31/3-columbus-churches-vandalized-with-graffiti-overnight

COLUMBUS, Ind. - Columbus Police said they’ve never had anything like it - three churches vandalized in the same night.

Someone spray painted them on the outside. It’s the words used, though, that have some people asking if this was more than a prank.

“It was just one word. It said ‘Infidels!’” Father Doug Marcotte said of what was spray painted on Saint Bartholomew’s Catholic Church in Columbus overnight Saturday.

Parishioners saw that, along with the word “Qur’an 3:151” on their way into Mass Sunday morning.

“It’s certainly not a warm and fuzzy verse. It talks about the infidels, their refuge being the fire,” explained Father Marcotte.

Specifically, that passage of the Qur’an reads: “We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve for what they have associated with Allah of which He had not sent down [any] authority. And their refuge will be the Fire, and wretched is the residence of the wrongdoers.”…

Security cameras are probably a wise investment for churches in this day and age.

Amen.
May those that perpetuated this vandlization with disgusting grafitti be caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Mary.

Unfortunately this is true. Praying for the person/s who did this, may they have a change of heart and stop this type of cruel damage.

This is shocking. I hope we won’t be seeing more of this here in our country.

Synagogues have been targets before of anti-semitism.

I wondered when I first resd this if it was done by muslims or someone trying to put blame on the muslims. The verse of thr Quran was pretty specific.

Hope they find out who did this.

Interesting side note: google search turns up not one major media source for this story, so this is being kept quiet, so far. And, the blog said it’s not being treated as a potential hate crime.

I think it’s important to recognize signs that troubles may spread Westward. We should be praying for the persecuted Church because their lives depend on it, and as though ours might.

In the United States, a hate crime can only be charged in connection to a violent crime. Vandalism wouldn’t suffice.

As to whether this is merely a prank, or something more threatening, I guess we will see. At this point, nothing is known about the culprit or motives. Why would a rural city (population 44,000) in Indiana be the site of Islamist threats? Waiting for the local authorities to complete their investigation, before giving much significance to the incident, seems sensible.

This may very well be an instance of hate speech which is a form of hate crime (or at least it is when Muslims are on the receiving end and the ACLU is pushing litigation on their behalf).

I do agree that time will tell, but think we are fools if we are not watchfully praying instead of fiddling while Rome burns. One would think at least a local TV or news affiliate would be picking up the story; the top 10 hits shouldn’t be blog-rolls, especially with all the news “race relations” (not that this is necessarily about race) makes right now.

Also–play this out. Why not start in smaller rural areas? Count on it not being picked up. Boil the frog slowly, see what the tolerance level is, especially if your nut with the spray can is from here. See, we Americans don’t really care. Once the mess is cleaned up, we forget, we’re back in the Starbucks drive thru like nothing ever happened, just average Joe and Jane Catholic tryin to get to work. Till next month, maybe you can’t go down this street because this is Muslim controlled area, a Sharia only zone; what-the-what? Already happening in Europe.

I think if one is charged with, for example, painting swastikas in certain places they can be charged with a hate crime. Vandalism may well suffice. Surely, there are differences between Federal and State and Local Laws.

Queens Man Charged With Hate Crime in Swastika Spray Paint Spree
District Attorney Richard Brown said Rodriguez allegedly spray painted swastikas on a library, synagogue and church in Jackson Heights earlier this month. - nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Queens-Man-Spray-Paint-Swastika-Jackson-Heights-Hate-Crime-Graffiti-Synagogue-Library-Church-133824513.html

A Jackson Heights man has been charged with graffiti as a hate crime for allegedly spray painting swastikas on a library, synagogue and church in his Queens neighborhood earlier this month, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said Monday.

Franco Rodriguez, 40, was arraigned Saturday on a criminal complaint charging him with three counts of fourth-degree criminal mischief as a hate crime and three counts of making graffiti.

As to whether this is merely a prank, or something more threatening, I guess we will see. At this point, nothing is known about the culprit or motives. Why would a rural city (population 44,000) in Indiana be the site of Islamist threats? Waiting for the local authorities to complete their investigation, before giving much significance to the incident, seems sensible.

“We condemn this, and I read the verse, most importantly what that showed me is the ignorance who actually misquoted or misinterpreted the Quran,” said Nassim Khaled, a Columbus resident who volunteers as the Islamic Center.

Khaled met with members of the East Columbus Christian Church in order to quell some of the outrage that could have been aimed at the Muslim community after the vandalism occured.

“We show our support,” he said. “We actually want to come and clean this mess with our friends and neighbors of the church,” he said.

Police are currently investigating the incidents.

Read more at christianpost.com/news/vandals-graffiti-quran-and-infidels-on-columbus-churches-community-outraged-125692/#U8qddsQT380yM4lD.99

:thumbsup:

Thanks, Pathfinder. Yes, you are right, the state of New York designates criminal mischief as one of the offenses which are covered by the hate crimes law.
criminaljustice.ny.gov/legalservices/ch107_hate_crimes_2000.htm

A quick web search shows that the state of Iowa does so as well. I imagine that other states have similar provisions. At the federal level, though, that isn’t true.
law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/249

The news link in the first post is to a local news station. A Google news search for the words Columbus Indiana Churches will turn up several additional local coverage e.g.

fox59.com/2014/08/31/columbus-community-condemns-graffiti-left-on-three-local-churches/

indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/31/vandals-spray-paint-infidels-graffiti-onto-churches-columbus/14915981/

thenewsdispatch.com/news/indiana_state_news/article_839c6228-bc1a-5d6c-a3a7-7cdc5c1474c8.html

(the latter story is more regional than local, but the by-line indicates that the AP is distributing the story)

Disgusting, sad.:mad:

Just found out, one of the Churches calls themselves “Home of the Crusaders”, okay, maybe it’s a school and that’s what their team is called. That was once a fairly common name for Catholic schools to call their basketball teams, etc.

They should take it seriously considering all that’s been happening with the bloodthirsty Islamic jihad against Christians. Where I live, I see Muslim women in burkas almost every time I go out somewhere. In some places that I go, they are in groups. As old as I am, I never used to see that here in America. But now when I go out it reminds me of when I had been in the Middle East or to a Muslim country elsewhere like Singapore or Malaysia. So I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a significant number of them in Indiana, too.

I am surprised Obama hasn’t banned all schools from being named The Crusaders the way they have gone after teams like the Redskins.

My high school mascot named the crusaders. It was a mennonite town. Funny I didn’t associate the name with Catholics at that time.
I wasn’t Mennonite by the way. You might have a point.

Thanks–have no idea how I missed all that. I plead caffeine deficiency, and thank you for the links :wink:

In case some people may not know, Columbus is world famous for it’s churches. Many of them built by the leading architects of the day. Eliel Saarinen (know I spelled it wrong) built several.

Although Columbus is a relatively small city, I believe this will have a far greater significance than it would appear from the surface.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.