3 Days of Darkness

What is the 3 Days of Darkness?
What Pope claimed this?
What will Happen? and Will it Happen?

got me
I never heard of any Pope who “claimed” such a thing. Have you a source for where you heard this?

I don’t think any pope has commented on the Three Days, just mystics.

To the OP, I am no expert on the Three Days of Darkness. I do know that many Catholics fully believe that the Three Days will happen. I keep blessed beeswax candles, just to be safe :slight_smile:

Edited: I do not pay attention well enough :blush:

It is not a teaching of the Church…it would be a matter of private revelation…

No Pope claimed such to my knowledge

and I think care must be take as well for some who write about the possibility …tend to swing their own thoughts into it as well…

anyhow it is not a teaching of the Church…

Oh tru, i was mistaken about a pope claiming this.

Ironically, the first time I heard abou the “three days of darkness” was when Nostradamus mentioned it in one of his prophecies (yes, he did predict that.)
This was back in my heretical “New Age days” before I came home to the Truth and Christ.:signofcross::gopray::highprayer:

As I recall it comes primarily from one or more apparition which have not been approved. I don’t think they have been disapproved, but I have seen some rather strong statements against them. I suspect the moderators will be displeased if we go further into them.

I have heard of this years ago and then about 1 year ago, was told about it at a private meeting with a few other folks.

This appears to be a good accounting of things:

grantchronicles.com/three_days_of_darkness.htm

Also if you go to youtube and search for Kelly Bowring. His informaiton is in alignment with the above article and what I was told at a private meeting. Kelly has a good book also that I recommend and have purchased several to read and give to others.

Book “The Secrets, Chastisement, and Triumph”

Look around and ask yourself … what is going on with this world? Most of the population is heading in the WRONG direction (away from God). Do some research and then make an informed decision.

God Bless!

Wherever you got this it is certainly NOT a Catholic Church teaching.

This is a good blog post about the subject from Jimmy Akin’s blog.

The Three Days have been announced by many mystics, viz., Bl.Anna-Maria Taigi, Padre Pio, Elizabeth Canori-Mora, Rosa-Colomba Asdente, Palma d’Oria, in Italy; Father Nectou, in Belgium; St. Hildegard, in Germany; Pere Lamy, Marie Baourdi, Marie Martel, Marie-Julie Jahenny, in France. (This list is not exhaustive; many more mystics have announced the Three Days.)
olrl.org/prophecy/daysdark.shtml

From translation of a copy of a personal letter written by Padre Pio addressed to the Commission of Heroldsbach appointed by the Vatican that testifies to the truth and reality of these revelations on the Three Days of Darkness given by Our Lord to Padre Pio, a Capuchin priest who bore the stigmata.

JANUARY 28, 1950
Keep your windows well covered. Do not look out. Light a blessed candle, which will suffice for many days. Pray the rosary. Read spiritual books. Make acts of Spiritual Communion, also acts of love, which are so pleasing to Us. Pray with outstretched arms, or prostrate on the ground, in order that many souls may be saved. Do not go outside the house. Provide yourself with sufficient food. The powers of nature shall be moved and a rain of fire shall make people tremble with fear. Have courage! I am in the midst of you.
tldm.org/news/darkness-11-13-98.htm

There are many other private prophecies concerning the remote and proximate signs which will precede the General Judgment and concerning Antichrist, such as those attributed to St. Hildegarde, St. Bridget of Sweden, Blessed Anna Maria Taigi (the “three days’ darkness”), the Curé d’Ars, and many others. These do not enlighten us any more than do the Scriptural prophecies as to the day and the hour of that judgment, which still remains a Divine secret.
newadvent.org/cathen/12473a.htm

St. Anna Maria Gesualda Antonia Taigi 19th Century

“God will send two punishments: one will be in the form of wars, revolutions and other evils; it shall originate on earth. The other will be sent from Heaven. There shall come over the whole earth an intense darkness lasting three days and three nights. Nothing can be seen, and the air will be laden with pestilence which will claim mainly, but not only, the enemies of religion. It will be impossible to use any man-made lighting during this darkness, except blessed candles. During this alarm, the faithful should stay in their houses and recite the Rosary and beg God for Mercy. He, who out of curiosity, opens his window to look out, or leaves his home, will fall dead on the spot….” 1

“On this terrible occasion so many of these wicked men, enemies of His Church, and of God, shall be killed by this divine scourge, that their corpses round Rome will be as numerous as the fish, which a recent inundation of the Tiber had carried into the city…” 2

“All the enemies of the Church, whether known or unknown, will perish over the whole earth during that universal darkness, with the exception of a few whom God will soon convert. The air shall be infected by demons who will appear under all sorts of hideous forms….” 3

catholicrevelations.org/PR/Bl%20anna%20maria%20taigi.htm

Since all of this is a matter of private revelation, one is not required to believe it and it is not an official Teaching of the Church. The fact that a number of both Saints and Blessed have received this vision leads me to believe that there is something to it and it would behoove me to be prepared.

This preparation is mostly spiritual and is what I should be doing anyway, with or without any prophecy of 3 days of darkness. Identifying where I fail to follow Christ and amending these failures, spending time in prayer and reading Scripture, applying His Teachings to my daily interaction with other people.

Our particular end could come at any time. It is for this that we must prepare.

The Secrets, Chastisement, and Triumph etc, is not a good book. Please see the following address

www.allianceofthetwohearts.info

The whole three days of darkness thing seems to be some kind of Catholic tabloid or urban legend thing, because when you try to track down these “old” quotes in primary sources, you can never find them there.

The bits about “and then you’ll have to hide inside your house, because demons will be sneaking around outside disguised as your nearest and dearest” has the distinctly modern sound of Lovecraftian cosmic horror, frankly. Medieval and Renaissance people would never come up with that sort of stuff, because even people in the middle of witch hunt hysteria and paranoia believed in a much more God-controlled universe than modern people do. Even the story of the first Passover envisioned only the firstborn who ventured outside dying; and they were killed by the good angel of death according to God’s rough justice against the kingdom that had killed Israelite baby boys, not by shapeshifting demons let loose to do serial killing of everyone. Being alone and surrounded by inevitable death is a modern horror idea, just like film noir pitted one desperate man against the entire world.

Blessed Anna Maria Taigi seems to have been the real source of this prophecy; she made some remarkable predictions about the turbulent reign of Pope Pius IX, which is why she’s given a lot of credence. But a lot of the elaborations to the story which are attributed to her really came from others, from much later. It’s also not clear which of her prophecies were literal and which figurative. At any rate, she pictured the three days of darkness taking place after the worst possible persecution of the Church ever, as a sort of Passover rescue of the Church and judgment of future cruel pharaoh-types. So it’s not like she pictured it just happening one fine day, totally out of nowhere.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.