3 days of darkness

What is the Church’s stand on this prophecy? I grew up with this belief and it still sends a shiver down my spine. I still keep those blessed candles that my father gave me while I was staying in a dormitory during my university days.

I have heard of this prophecy and I will admit, it also sends a shiver down my spine as well. However, we as members of the Church are given the right to decide for ourselves what we believe if it is not listed as doctrine or dogma. Countless saints have had countless prophecies, revelations, visitations and visions. We can not know all of them, and we also can not know the exact meaning behind them. They were messages and visions given to them, not to us. God speaks to all of us differently. He uses different imagery, different approaches, different stories, all to reach our hearts individually. We simply can not know if this vision was prophetic, or if it was allegorical, or what have you.

But for what it’s worth, if you do happen to have those blessed candles and it does happen to be a literally thing that actually happens, then you’re totally prepared. :thumbsup:

Don’t think I’m being flippant…but if the three days of darkness were to happen…we are told there would be no light except for those who have blessed candles…so how do we light the candles…do we need to have blessed matches,God bless:)

I’m not saying I subscribe to the whole 3 days thing, but I’ve seen this question of “how do you light the blessed candles…” on other threads and it forces me to point out that the prophecy says only blessed candles will give off light, suggesting that matches and lighters could still be used, they just wouldn’t give off light.:confused:

During the Easter Vigil we light our little candles from the Paschal candle.

Maybe we would light our blessed candles from one at church or maybe you light your blessed candle normally before the three days of darkness begin.

There is no reason why it can’t happen as it did happen before.

Exodus 10:21-23 Yahweh then said to Moses, ‘Stretch out your hand towards heaven, and let darkness, darkness so thick that it can be felt, cover Egypt.’ So Moses stretched out his hand towards heaven, and for three days there was thick darkness over the whole of Egypt. No one could see anyone else or move about for three days, but all the Israelites did have light where they were living.

What Im going to find interesting when this happens, is how our ‘experts’ will try to explain this event to the public without acknowledging God! But Im sure they will come up some ridiculous explanation and also sure alot of people will buy it hook, line and sinker!! LOL

Why would you think the Church has a stand on this?

Why wouldnt they?

After all, this will be a pretty big event when it finally happens, many people will be frightened and questioning what is going on, thus looking to the church for answers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.