3 Dead after shooting at KC area Jewish Community Center

kmbc.com/news/fatal-shooting-reported-at-ops-jewish-community-center/25457124

I drive by this place when I go to work. Pray for the victims and their families :signofcross:

Praying for the victims & their families.

Some reports said the gunman was heard making anti-Semitic remarks.

Attacks against Jewish-affiliated centers have an ugly, long history, and so preparation is essential. That became clear on Sunday, as staffs at both [facilities] apparently responded to the shootings calmly and professionally.

On the eve of Passover, one of the most celebrated Jewish holidays, anger and grief spread across this area, and beyond. Passover calls Jews to gather Monday evening for a ritual meal and prayer to celebrate liberation from slavery.

Liberation from gun violence is far less clear.
kansascity.com/2014/04/13/4958237/shocking-act-of-violence-at-two.html

The alleged perp, “Frasier Glenn Cross, Jr.” goes by the name of Glenn F. Cross and is reported as living in a wide spot in the road south of Springfield, Missouri, a town called Aurora. Missouri Case Net gives his birth year as 1938, making him 76, not 73 as reported; and shows he lived in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, in 2008 when he received a speeding ticket. Cross was heard to be screaming, “Heil, Hitler” when arrested and taken into custody. Victims are two non-Jews, a 14-year-old Eagle Scout and his doctor-grandfather; and an elderly Jewish woman shot to death at the Shalom retirement center. The Jewish Community Center and Shalom retirement home are in Overland Park, a sprawling bedroom community southwest of downtown Kansas City, Missouri.

As the Hebrew community prepares for Passover starting Monday, may we recall that Catholics, adopted and ingrafted Jews, are under the prophesied “New & Eternal Covenant” and join in commemorating Passover, this “eternal ordinance,” a rule that stands forever, in celebrating the Mass, Christ’s Passover memorial. Please keep the Kansas City Metro community in prayer, including my little church near KC that had swastikas scratched into the stone capping the front walkway wall only last weekend. This area east of Kansas City is the old pre-suburban Jewish neighborhood and includes two large Jewish cemeteries. And, as Christ commanded, “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.”

The Fox headline read: “Shootings being investigated as hate crimes.” If someone from the 19th century traveled in time and saw that headline, he/she would think America has gone daft…and they would be right. Hate? Ya think…?

Did some research on this guy (not every day a septuagenarian does this so it got me curious) and…just wow.

He has made for TV movie written all over him. I would have thought people as deeply anti-semitic as him were just caricatures but this person really did live and breath hatred of jewish people. :frowning:

The decline in sexual morality during the past few decades has been marked, however in many ways the morality of the US has improved quite a bit from the 1800s. I don’t doubt that the views of Frasier Glenn Cross, Jr. would have been more acceptable in the past. Thank God, we have changed.

BTW, here is some information on the individuals who were killed:

Two of the victims were from the same family. High school student Reat Griffin Underwood, 14, and his grandfather, William Corporon, 69, both Methodists, were outside the Jewish Community Center and planning on going to a singing competition when they were shot and killed a little after 1 p.m. on Sunday.

“It was a horrible act of violence,” Mindy Corporon told reporters Monday, “and my Dad and my son were at the wrong place at the wrong time, for a split second.”

It was much the same for Terri LaManno, 53, of Kansas City, Mo., a Catholic, who was killed at the Village Shalom assisted living facility, near the community center in Overland Park, as she was visiting her mother.

She was devoted to her family, her parish, St. Peter’s Catholic Church, and her job, as an occupational therapist at the Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired, said Brian Fowler, who was a groomsman at the LaManno’s wedding.
kcur.org/post/jcc-shooting-suspect-could-be-charged-tuesday
LaManno would have celebrated her 25th wedding anniversary on Tuesday.

It has to be added on, apparently the shooter Glenn Miller quoted the Leftist Max Blumenthal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Blumenthal

frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/anti-israel-leftist-cited-by-anti-semitic-killer-mocked-idea-that-american-jews-are-at-risk/

All who died were christian.

A catholic woman was killed whose mother lived in village shalom a senior living facility

A grandfather and grandson who were methodists were also killed.
The grandfather was bringing the grandson to an american idol type contest at the community center.

The suspected shooter is on a suicide watch.

Very sad.

I have to admit that I have wondered if he had decided he was ready to die, which is why finally did these horrible things. He may have contemplated such things lifelong, and wanted to make his mark before he passed on.

Kind of old to be doing these types of things.
Too bad he has been carrying around all the hate for his whole life.

It used to be much more common, now it’s mostly directed at Muslims in the US.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.