3 dead in attack on Coptic church in Egypt [CWN]

Three people, including an eight-year-old child, were murdered by a gunman who opened fire on worshippers leaving a Coptic church wedding, according to multiple media reports.The …

More…

That is so sad. I wonder if they would now be martyrs?

The plight that these Coptic Christians face in Egypt is just tragic.

Yes it is. I really feel sorry for them. I also feel sorry for the Christians in Syria who are basically being butchered by Syrian rebels who I believe are associated with Al Qaeda. If they are not being murdered then they are being forced to convert to Islam. I hope and pray that they do not succumb to the pressure to convert to Islam even if that means they face death. After all, if they die for their faith they will be martyrs and they will gain a glorious crown in Heaven.

Does anyone besides myself think its odd not one single media outlet here in the US is reporting on the christians being killed in Egypt for their beliefs? IMO, this is highly strange, I have a feeling before too long, it will be illegal to be christian/catholic in the US, punishable by prison or death.

Ive not even heard this being talked about in any of the local parishes around here…?? what does that say!!!

Doesnt someone in the church/vatican see what is happening in the world, and why are they not instructing their parishes about what is going on, what to expect, what to do when/if law enforcement comes knocking at your door?..etc

People need to understand that these extremists are killing our brothers and sisters who are Christians, yet no top Islam leader is condemning these actions. Yes people can say that Islam is a faith of peace, it might be, but that has not been the case lately. Especially since 9/11

Full responsibility for the attacks against Christians in Iraq, and now Egypt, and next Syria belongs fully with Muslims.

It is there responsibility to reform their religion away from the religious tenet that second class citizenship for Christians and non-Muslims is in any way a tolerant response in today’s world.

Unfortunately the media seems to not care about what happens to Christians. Even when Christians are attacked and bullied here in the United States they sometimes do not report on it. For example, there was recently a very hateful thing that occurred at a restaurant which I believe was in Chicago. They placed an unconsecrated host on the burger. Thankfully it was not a consecrated host and so it was not Jesus Christ. However, this did indeed happen and I only seen it reported in a blog on Patheos I believe and possible one news article. There is also the several times when Christians have been sued for refusing to provide service to homosexual “weddings”. The media reports on it but just barely. Therefore, its not surprising at all that they don’t hardly report on the attacks against Christians in the Middle East. Like I said, its like as though they don’t seem to care. However, if someone does something that is anti-Semitic or Islamophobic then the media jumps all over it. I am not saying they shouldn’t report on those things but it seems to me that there is a clear bias. Its like as though they don’t care about Christians. But then again, this is not surprising considering what the Bible says:

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you.
(Matthew 5:10-12 RSV-CE)

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. Beware of men; for they will deliver you up to councils, and flog you in their synagogues, and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear testimony before them and the Gentiles. When they deliver you up, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel, before the Son of man comes. "A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master; it is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Be-el’zebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.
(Matthew 10:16-25 RSV-CE)

So as you can see, Jesus Christ predicted that we would be hated because of Him. So its not surprising that the media doesn’t report on attacks against Christians or only barely reports on it.

There is also clear evidence that the media itself seems to want to attack Christianity. I have seen several articles in the past where the Catholic Church was attacked in news articles and such.

So all we can really do is pray, take action by complaining about these attacks and lack of reporting, and we should also rejoice when we are attacked or oppressed as Jesus Christ said to do. After all, we are blessed when we are persecuted for His sake.

I fully agree with everything you have said here, in fact I would not be surprised if christian persecution is going on in the US currently, but we just do not hear about it on a wide scale yet. The media could not get any more biased than what it currently is. They seem to truly only care about muslims and islam.

With all this going on, I only wonder why christians, the church, the vatican, are not coming up with a plan or some way to combat this…?? Surely the plan is not to just sit back and let it happen LOL I often wonder what some larger parishes here would do, if govt suddenly made it illegal, or stormed in during a mass and started arresting people, o rmore likely, encouraging christians to turn other christians in to law enforcement? I have a feeling nothing would be done though. Did God intend for christians to sit back and accept persecution or at least try to fight back?

My conscience tells me to fight back. However I have been wrong a couple, two, three times. Enough to know the martyrdom for Christ path is easier said than done. I go with Augustine and the Bible here; “Be slow to speak and quick to listen” . And pray for the strength from there, in constant conversation with Jesus. :slight_smile:

Gideon comes to mind along with a host of others though. God chose Gideon to free His people “Judges”. May the Lord grant me the strength to inspire them to be stronger in Christ.

Nevertheless my prayers are with the Coptic Church.

Well, some would call it persecution and others would call it oppression but we do have the unconstitutional HHS Mandate which attacks our religious liberty/freedom. The USCCB did do something about it. They organized two different Fortnights for Freedom where we protested the mandate and prayed that our religious liberty/freedom would be restored.

In other instances, Christians are being sued and such simply because they refuse to provide service to “gay weddings” with their businesses that they own. This is a clear example of persecution/oppression that is going on right here in the United States. I can provide you with news links if you’d like.

You know, this is something I have been wondering about for a while and I’d like some input from others on it.

I think that with the severe and increasing persecution of Christians in the Middle East and Muslim lands and with the rather mild (in comparison anyway) persecution that we are facing here in the United States that quite possibly the persecution could spread to the United States. What I mean is that I fear that as more and more Muslims come to the United States and such that we are going to face more persecution from them. I’m not sure if its happening but I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t already happening in Europe where there are already large populations of Muslim immigrants.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that all Muslims are oppressors and I am not against Muslim immigration to Europe and North America but the fact that they do persecute Christians in the Middle East makes me concerned that when they become powerful enough here and in Europe that they will try it here and in Europe as well. What do you all think of this?

I think this is more about a persecuted minority who are seen as outside the “normal” in the Egyptian communities rather than a religious attack. It really is more like the pogroms against the Jews in Europe mainly because they were middle class when many around them were poor.

I agree, our country seems to be more and more accepting of muslim ideas and practices, even some of the radical/extreme ones, I am kind of surprised by this, as when pearl harbor was attacked, majority of americans grew to hate the japanese, but it seems in our times, it is the opposite, instead of most americans growing to hate muslims/islam, they have grown to accept all of it.

Eventually this kind of thing will reach the US, and probably wont be too far off. God even tells us christians WILL be persecuted for their belief in him, this is the perfect situation for this to happen, and any law that WOULD prevent it, will be ‘set aside’ or modified to allow it imo.

Even though Im not the model catholic, Id like to think I will not sell out when/if the situation should arise, but Im not sure how much torture i could take either.

Ive heard some suggest before any of this even happens, God will lead all that believe in him out of the country doing all this, and in this case, it will be the US, so maybe God will provide.

I agree with everything you have said here. This is a good post!

As for the difference between Pearl Harbor and the attacks by the Japanese versus 9/11 and the attacks by those who were Muslims, I think possibly one reason Americans are more accepting of Islam than they were of the Japanese is because some Muslim organizations came out and condemned the 9/11 attacks and rightly so. I think some Muslim groups apologized for the actions of their fellow (though extremist) Muslims. I think another reason for the difference is because the media seemed to portray Islam in a good light despite the attacks by extremist Muslims. Also, I have to wonder if there might be a fear element involved. It seems to me that if extremist Muslims are offended by something we say against their faith or their “prophet” or something then they get very angry and are more likely to attack. Perhaps the positive media light on Islam and such was an attempt to not provoke more attacks?

Also, should the time come when you and I as Catholics may be tortured or martyred then try not to worry. I do honestly believe God will give us the grace to get through such a situation. I do not believe God will place a load on our shoulders which is more than we can bear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.