3 Hypothetical Questions

Hi guys I have 3 questions. Here goes,

1) If a person is in a state of Mortal Sin but wants to go to confession but is not able to until the next mass etc... What would happen to his Soul in the event of him seeing someone on the road going to be knocked down by a car and jumping infront to push the other person away to take the hit instead? Or to stop thugs from bullying someone else? (If these things are done out of love) Should he instead not do the thing but save himself for confession first?

2) If a person has Mortal sin on his Soul and someone threatens to kill him if he does not convert to the threateners religion. What should the person do? Should he falsely say he converts.. then goes to confession and get the sin absolved or should he not choose to convert and get killed on the spot?

3) This time not in a state of mortal sin.. If confronted with the convert or die. Should we lie and say we convert but still be secret Catholics or should we just die?

Thanks alot for your opinions and insight. If you have official documents refering to this questions please let me know :)

[quote="James1990, post:1, topic:320415"]

1) If a person is in a state of Mortal Sin but wants to go to confession but is not able to until the next mass etc... What would happen to his Soul in the event of him seeing someone on the road going to be knocked down by a car and jumping infront to push the other person away to take the hit instead? Or to stop thugs from bullying someone else? (If these things are done out of love) Should he instead not do the thing but save himself for confession first?

[/quote]

This situation could depend, but if the person is really, truly sorry for his sin, and wants to go to confession, but dies in a loving attempt to save another, I would say it is very likely that that person would have Confession of Desire and would not be damned.

2) If a person has Mortal sin on his Soul and someone threatens to kill him if he does not convert to the threateners religion. What should the person do? Should he falsely say he converts.. then goes to confession and get the sin absolved or should he not choose to convert and get killed on the spot?

[/quote]

If the person is killed, defending his faith, this is martyrdom, an instant ticket to Heaven.

3) This time not in a state of mortal sin.. If confronted with the convert or die. Should we lie and say we convert but still be secret Catholics or should we just die?

[/quote]

Same thing. If you lie, that's a mortal sin (denying Christ) but if you die, it is martyrdom for Christ's sake.

Thanks alot for your opinions and insight. If you have official documents refering to this questions please let me know :)

[/quote]

you need to discuss these issues with a priest.

[quote="robwar, post:3, topic:320415"]
you need to discuss these issues with a priest.

[/quote]

Why so? These are hypothetical, not personal questions.

Don't deny Jesus.

Individuals who die in a state of unrepentant mortal sin go to hell. If a person tried to go to confession but dies before having the opportunity, the Church would say he did not die in unrepentant mortal sin and would not go to hell. Confession is the primary and normal means through which Christ forgives our sins, but he is not bound by the sacrament, otherwise all non-Catholics would be in hell.

As to your second and third questions, it is sinful to deny Christ. Denying Jesus to live and remain a "secret Catholic" is of no use to your soul or to the Body of Christ.

[quote="dshix, post:4, topic:320415"]
Why so? These are hypothetical, not personal questions.

[/quote]

hypothetical questions are generally traps. Read the Bible, they were used on Jesus.
A priest can better answer cannon law question concerning mortal sin and confession than us non-experts can on the internet.

Guys anymore opinions? .. My questions are definately not traps :( Why would u say that? I really would like to know what happens in these scenarios/ What should we do in these scenarios.

I think that if a person gives up their life for their faith, like in some of your questions, they would be considered martyrs.

And here is a verse:

"But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10:33 (Douay Rheims)

Never deny Jesus.

I would give up my life for Him.

Ok i think im getting what you guys say about point 3)

If we are not in mortal sin.. I think its best if we die for Jesus and not lie.

BUT what about point 2) ? If we had mortal sin and we were confronted with this situation?
Wont dying then send us to hell?

Anymore comments on point 1?

I understand the person who said better ask a priest, because I would be afraid of saying something wrong when trying to answer them.... :blush:

I see i see... Good point Katherin! Thanks. Maybe people have the fear... that they dont want to give a wrong answer..

But I believe someone out there surely has a good opinion. I mean I wont take anyones opinion as truth.. I will of course have to discern and maybe talk to the priest soon if it bothers me too much. But anyway, dont be afraid. Please just say whats ur opinion on these situations? Love to hear it:)

[quote="robwar, post:7, topic:320415"]
hypothetical questions are generally traps. Read the Bible, they were used on Jesus.
A priest can better answer cannon law question concerning mortal sin and confession than us non-experts can on the internet.

[/quote]

These questions, hypothetical though they may be, are not dangerous in the least; they have straightforward answers from moral theology.

James, I am really not sure personally.... My guess would be that DSHIX is right about question one, question 2 - I think I haven't heard of that, martyrdom being an immediate ticket even when in mortal sin... it would make sense but I cannot write much about it as, as I said, i have not heard of such a thing... question 3 I have asked myself before too, I think many saints have died defending their faith haven't they? So of course I think the right answer is to say, one must stick with one's faith, but then the question is, how grave a sin is it when one doesn't out of fear of death, or let's say somebody has small children... I really do not know the answer to this and if you do ask a priest please let us know. :)

[quote="Kathrin, post:14, topic:320415"]
James, I am really not sure personally.... My guess would be that DSHIX is right about question one, question 2 - I think I haven't heard of that, martyrdom being an immediate ticket even when in mortal sin... it would make sense but I cannot write much about it as, as I said, i have not heard of such a thing... question 3 I have asked myself before too, I think many saints have died defending their faith haven't they? So of course I think the right answer is to say, one must stick with one's faith, but then the question is, how grave a sin is it when one doesn't out of fear of death, or let's say somebody has small children... I really do not know the answer to this and if you do ask a priest please let us know. :)

[/quote]

Martyrdom is, by definition, death for the sake of Christ, for love of Christ. It is an act of love, sacrifice, and giving of oneself for God. It forgives all eternal and temporal punishment if done with the right intentions.

Thanks Kathrin. Anyway, dshix when u say about doing it out of love for god i think thats true because if u repent in ur heart before they kill u I think god will understand.

But Kathrin brought up a good point.. what if someone had a family to look after??

I’d be interested what the theological answer would be in the following instance: Somebody is told to deny his/her faith but not with the threat of killing him/her, but of killing somebody else? That is, the person would have to deny their faith in order to save somebody else’s life?

[quote="Kathrin, post:17, topic:320415"]
I'd be interested what the theological answer would be in the following instance: Somebody is told to deny his/her faith but not with the threat of killing him/her, but of killing somebody else? That is, the person would have to deny their faith in order to save somebody else's life?

[/quote]

In this case, it still would not be right for the person to deny their faith. They would be committing a mortal sin, an evil in the spiritual realm, in order to avoid the death of another, which is a good in the physical world. The ends do not justify the means, ESPECIALLY when the means are of greater import.

Like Abraham was willing to sacrifice the earthly life of his son, in order to do God's will...?

[quote="James1990, post:16, topic:320415"]
Thanks Kathrin. Anyway, dshix when u say about doing it out of love for god i think thats true because if u repent in ur heart before they kill u I think god will understand.

But Kathrin brought up a good point.. what if someone had a family to look after??

[/quote]

Lots of saintly martyrs had families to look after. St Thomas More had a large family including biological and foster/adopted/step children. He nonetheless stuck to his guns, did not deny his faith and heroically gave his life for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.