3 Sunday masses?

I often go to mass on Saturday evening as well as on Sunday morning.

Yesterday (Friday) I went to a service at a retirement home. It wasn’t a mass, but a communion service. But they already read the passage for Palm Sunday so it was kind of a very early Palm Sunday mass.
Could I still go to mass and receive communion twice this weekend?

Kathrin

Absolutely - you can receive twice in each day (midnight to midnight) as long as the second time is at Mass rather than a communion service - regardless of what the readings are for those services/Masses.

Receiving Communion twice in a 24 hour period is supposed to be something extraordinary, NOT a regular practice.

In any case, Friday is Friday–not Palm Sunday.

Where does it say that?

There are many reasons why someone might be at two Masses in one day and there is nothing extraordinary about receiving at both.

Should they become seriously ill the same day they can receive a 3rd time as Viaticum.

This answers a question I keep forgetting to ask. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, §2.
. . .

Can. 921 §1. The Christian faithful who are in danger of death from any cause are to be nourished by holy communion in the form of Viaticum.
§2. Even if they have been nourished by holy communion on the same day, however, those in danger of death are strongly urged to receive communion again.
§3. While the danger of death lasts, it is recommended that holy communion be administered often, but on separate days.

I have read elsewhere that the day in this case is midnight to midnight; so Saturday evening does not count toward Sunday.

***Please review Canon law 917. It says nothing about a second reception being extraordinary.

“Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2”***

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P39.HTM

Viaticum may be received at any time, regardless of how many times a person has received communion that day and does not require a one hour fast.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P39.HTM

Yes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.