3 Things Christians Should Consider in Light of Radical Islam

The West is at the front end of what will almost certainly be a multi-decadal war against radical Islamism. We saw so again this week, as violence marred Chattanooga, TN.

Others, better informed than I, can report on the details and debates around that tragedy. However, it is increasingly clear that this will be a global war for many years, often made up by lone-wolf attacks in the West, wars against religious minorities in the Middle East, and (perhaps) occasional spectacular terror attacks around the world.

Many thoughts come to mind, and many more issues should be considered. However, in this brief space, I simply would like to suggest three things we might want to consider, uniquely for those who call themselves followers of Jesus, in light of His words about our neighbors, enemies, and government.

christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2015/july/3-things-christians-should-consider-in-light-of-radical-isl.html

I’m glad I read that. I hadn’t really given the distinction between Muslim and Islamist any thought before this post. What I found most striking though, by far, is the opening sentence:

The West is at the front end of what will almost certainly be a multi-decadal war against radical Islamism.

I just don’t have this reality hammered into me in my daily life, because the demographics just aren’t like that where I live, but I’m definitely going to be thinking about this today. It might be obvious in Europe, but it isn’t here.

That war has been going on since at least the late 1900s.

It used to be mistakenly thought that it did not extend beyond the Middle East.

Then it was mistakenly thought that it was limited to the ME and the USA.

But it’s the whole world now.

ICXC NIKA

Compare this: Christianity in 600 AD

with this: Spread of Islam, 622-750 AD

It seems to me that we’ve been at war for almost the last 1,400 years.

Allah’s Apostle said: “I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah’s Apostle, and offer the prayers perfectly and give the obligatory charity, so if they perform a that, then they save their lives and property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning (accounts) will be done by Allah.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 24)

I agree with the author of the article where he correctly quotes Jesus about loving our enemies, etc…
…The part he ( and most others ) get wrong is the classification “Radical Islam”.
…It’s horrifically wrong!

Let’s look at the definition of radical.

Radical: (especially of change or action) relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough. a radical overhaul of the existing regulatory framework"

I would assume most who frequent these forums would be honest enough to concede that according to Muslims, a man named Muhammad ( 570 A.D. - 632 A.D. ) is attributed to have dictated word for word the revelations of Allah in the Koran.

There is sufficient history recorded in and around this time to conclude that Muhammad gathered together a significant following of individuals who appear to have adopted the religious teachings of Muhammad.

Take yourself back in time a thousand years or more & what you will find pertaining to Islam appears to be oddly similar to what we are observing in several Islamic countries today.

My point is that what we are observing of ISIS today isn’t a “radical” departure of how Islam started out…
…Thus our concern isn’t with “Radical Islam” ( because that doesn’t exist ).
…Our concern is with Islamic Fundamentalists or Fundamental Islam.

Let’s look at the definition of that word.

Fundamental: forming a necessary base or core; of central importance / a central or primary rule or principle on which something is based

Osama Bin Laden’s named his group “Al-Qaeda” which means “The Base” or “THE FUNDAMENT” ( fundamental core ).

This is why for YEARS the news media & everyone else called those groups who agreed with and participated with Al-Qaeda Fundamentalist Muslims or Islamic Fundamentalists. Bin Laden COULD NOT have started a Brand which only appealed to the most devout Muslims & have it be successful IF it was a “RADICAL DEPARTURE” from the core or fundamental base of Islam.

Later, as time went on & specifically after the death of Bin Laden other groups rose up and started to squabble over how best to make Allah’s religion supreme & eventually many members of Al-Qaeda joined up with other factions - none of which was a “radical” departure of where they initially hailed from.

This is why, despite everyone agreeing that the “vast majority of the worlds Muslims” are peaceful and loving people…
…I agree with this affirmation and believe it to be true - HOWEVER.
…A practicing Baptist will NOT rebuke a Fundamentalist Baptist for trying to obey all the rules of the religion.

Nor would a practicing Catholic rebuke a Fundamentalist or Devout Catholic for observing every Mass and Feast day…
…This isn’t logical to expect and explains WHY even with the majority of Muslims living in Yemen or Pakistan being peaceful loving people.
…You don’t see OUTRAGE when another Christian or gay person is slaughtered publically in the streets.

As Catholics would we rebuke & scold the likes of Mother Teresa? Of course we wouldn’t.

Dr. Jasser, who is a highly educated Muslim himself admits that there is no such thing as “Radical Islam” - it’s fundamental Islam…
…Dr. Jasser is attempting to get Muslims to realize that Islam needs some re-defining.
…For this Dr. Jasser has had his life threatened.

Dr. Jasser is worth a watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=-Xd0UJLlzVE

youtube.com/watch?v=6h0rO-f6hNc

I have several issues, most of which I have expressed on other threads.

1. The idea that “extremist” Muslims are a tiny minority is not borne out by the facts. Poll after poll shows widespread support for both the ideas of the extremists and the extremists’ organizations (ISIS, al-Qaeda, etc.)

thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Opinion-Polls.htm
Is a long list of polls, with links. Each poll is summarized in one line.

There is also an ongoing poll on al-Jazira’s Arabic web site. As of last week, 81% (over 40,000 votes) were in favor of supporting ISIS–the organization is named; 19% were against.

1. Muslims in general are very aggressive in trying to convert Westerners–esp. “white women” (their term). In fact, 75% of Western converts are women between 15-24. A quick search of youtube on the terms “convert + Islam” will bring up a host of videos. The Western women who do convert quite often become the spokespersons for Islam on radio, TV, and the Internet. Islamic propaganda is international and well funded. It ranges from local mosque open houses, ecumenical meetings, and street evangelization to huge rallies in sports stadiums. The newest generation of missionaries speak English as a native language and often have degrees in Biblical studies or comparative religions. In a debate against unprepared young Christians, it’s like feeding the Christians to the lions. No contest.

2. All of the terrorist attacks in the US have been carried out by Muslims who were by all accounts “moderate” Muslims. At some point they became extremists. Wives and parents were unaware when this switch took place. No one can predict who will flip or when. It’s sort of like pod people or zombies.

3. As a minority, Muslims concentrate on recognition of rights to wear headscarves, have hilal meat, interrupt work to pray, etc. etc. It all sounds very reasonable until you realize it’s a one-way street. No equivalent rights exist for non-Muslims in majority Muslim countries. When they get into a more secure position–as in the UK–they run for office and introduce Islam as a compulsory subject in schools, have vigilantes patrolling the streets for offenders of drink/dress codes, etc.

mamlukman,

Yes, you are on the right track of understanding what’s going on here…
…It can be simplified even more by saying - that.
…The practice of our Religion is an affront to theirs.

The most successful method used to cull religious minorities in Islamic States is called Theocracy…
…It essentially means that there is no separation between the religion and the State.
…Which defaults into there being a “State Religion”.

This is exactly what Dr. Jasser has been attempting to educate Muslims on…
…Because he has spoken out about this issue he is threatened with death.
…Dr. Jasser is a Muslim.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Vh0cNm49zE

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.