3 Wise men following the star and astrology

I thought the church sees astrology as a bad thing but didn’t the 3 wise men follow a star to find Jesus?

If they did this to find baby Jesus, why does the church teach that astrology is a bad thing?

[quote="james_neville, post:1, topic:289275"]
I thought the church sees astrology as a bad thing but didn't the 3 wise men follow a star to find Jesus?

If they did this to find baby Jesus, why does the church teach that astrology is a bad thing?

[/quote]

They did follow a star to find Jesus and they may very well have used astrology to figure out the birth of Jesus. And yes, the Catholic Church does condemn astrology. However, that doesn't mean that God can't use it to bring about some good. On that same note, just because God can use it to bring about a good doesn't mean that we should practice it. I am simply saying that God can bring good out of anything, even an evil practice such as astrology.

What about if there were really a star?
In Fatima there was a sun and watcher by 70 thousand people.
Now theologians say that in the Gospel everything that goes out of the ordinary is s myth…well you must not believe everything theologians say…

There is no requirement to believe that the birth stories are literal history. Unusual celestial phenomena are a common part of such stories about significant people - Alexander The Great and numerous other leaders had birth narratives that included similar accounts. These stories even have their own literary genre, known as the Infancy Narrative. These stories were a common way of emphasizing the greatness of the person.

We don’t know if there were 3 wise men. The Bible does not state how many there were and gifts of gold, frankencense, and myrrh do not evidence the number of wise men.

They used astronomy, not astrology to find Jesus.

[quote="PatriceA, post:6, topic:289275"]

[/quote]

Yes!

Your concern stems from a misunderstanding of astrology.

There are numerous references in the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, to there being signs in the stars, including some that accompanied the death of Jesus.

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice** goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

What the wise men were doing was not astrology. Astrology is the belief that the stars themselves are "gods" and control our lives. Astrologers believe that depending on what time you were born and the relative position of the stars, you will have a certain personality and course of life events. The stars determine your fate, in other words. This is not what the wise men believed. The wise men were looking for messages from God IN the stars. Not the same thing.

There is a fascinating (and faith affirming) documentary on this subject called "The Star of Bethlehem." You can learn more about it (or buy it) at www.bethlehemstar.net . There's a good deal of info on the site. It went beyond my wildest expectations.

I, personally, think every Christian ought to see it. I'm pretty sure you can get it on Netflix or Blockbuster By Mail, if you use either of those, also.**

Thankyou for your replies, i see where i was going wrong, i didn’t understand the difference between astronomy and astrology.

God Bless you all!

I think you have confused astrology and astronomy.

EWTN showed "The Star of Bethlehem" at Christmas. The producer was connected with The Passion of the Christ.

Using computer technology, they were able to bring up the ancient skies. Again by using clues given in the Bible as to what constellations were where in the heavens, they got what is the Star of Bethlehem.

Sorry I don't know how to copy and paste to this site but if you google Star of Bethlehem on EWTN you'll get the information. It is amazing and very interesting.

The Magi represent the pagans in the world who saw, by reading the constellations, that a wonderous king would be born to Israel. It had to be extremely important for them to make the trek and probably took at least six months if not longer.

Apparently, there is also a report of ancient seers in China who also reported that a wonderous king would be born in the West. Who knew that?

In his book, THE LIFE OF CHRIST, Fulton Sheen discusses Christ being born in a cave. Christ is a caveman. He ties Christ right back to our very first ancestors showing He is the Saviour of All men through all time. Isn't that a beautiful thought?

Well, there is a difference between astrology and astronomy…

We must keep in mind the signifigance of the star as the Messiah was prohesied as the "star rising out of Jacob" by Balaam. The wise men may have understood the theological signifigance and not been praciticing astrology.

[quote="cc42, post:14, topic:289275"]
We must keep in mind the signifigance of the star as the Messiah was prohesied as the "star rising out of Jacob" by Balaam. The wise men may have understood the theological signifigance and not been praciticing astrology.

[/quote]

For me, there was a star. Till somebody proves that there was not star, there was a star.

I am not denying that there was a star I am saying that perhaps the wise men saw the star and understood the Jewish theological signifigance and weren’t seeing as some sort of astrological (possibly pagan) interpretation

You can access the documentary THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM by Stephen McEVeety on You Tube. This is the one EWTN shows at Christmas.

It is amazing because it will answer all of your questions. There really was a “star” which they believe, was a combination of two planets crossing paths. The meaning of that is explained to you. They combined in a constellation all of which sent the Magi on their way to Bethlehem.

You really should watch it. :popcorn:

Yep. Also make sure to check out the special feature “Revealing the Ram.” It wasn’t just the Star of Bethlehem. Jesus’ life was mapped out in the stars (and moon).

You’ll also learn the significance of John’s vision of “a woman clothed in the sun with the moon at her feet” in Revelation (spoiler: it’s an actual astronomical phenomenon that marks the birth and death of Jesus.)

[quote="PatriceA, post:6, topic:289275"]

[/quote]

Astrology always depended on astronomy for the its 'science', and at times it is not easy to tell them apart, that is why, back in the first century, people sometimes called astronomy astrology. I am not saying that astrology is good, just that they could have been mistaken for the other 2000 years later. :cool::confused:

Viewed it. AMAZING!! Just WONDER—FILLED.

I didn’t see anything about John and “woman clothed in the sun” Is that another video?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.