"30 Transgender regretters come out of the closet;" an article

see http://thefederalist.com/2019/01/03/30-transgender-regretters-come-closet-new-book/

Walt suffered huge waves of regret as a result of following through with his urge to be a woman. He had eagerly taken the bait of politicized medical practitioners, who hurried him along in the transition. He not only regretted what he had done to his body, he also grieved over the estrangement from his wife and children caused by his drastic change in identity.

Imagine that you then defer to and trust the professional’s expertise, and you accept the treatment. Then, can you imagine, after going through all of that—the hormones, the mutilating surgeries, etc.—you realize it just didn’t work? You end up asking yourself: What did I do? Why did I go ahead with this?

Much of their isolation is caused by our society’s slavish obedience to political correctness, which dictates that there is “no such thing” as transgender regret. Even worse, the transgender lobby is making it very difficult for such people to get the counseling they desperately want and need.

Regretters are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. They are not unlike recruits in a dangerous cult who sense that something is amiss, but feel trapped…

When one speaks of “going home” in the poetic sense, it has nothing to do with abuses or dysfunction that one might have experienced, leading to gender dysphoria. Being “home” simply means having a sense of being in the right place, living out your God-given purpose in your God-given body. It means being comfortable in your own skin so you can enjoy the view outward instead of constant navel-gazing.

9 Likes

Eric reported an unsettling lack of medical support. Walt cites numerous studies confirming that most cases of gender dysphoria co-exist with other mental conditions, such as DID, bipolar disorder, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorders. If those other conditions were first treated through cognitive therapy, there’s no telling how much that would alleviate gender dysphoria without any need for invasive surgeries and hormonal treatments.

Psychotherapists are increasingly aware that they are now legally required to play along with each and every self-diagnosed case of gender dysphoria presented to them, or face legal consequences.

Very disturbing if true.

No surprise here. That’s the reason the original doctors who invented the procedures later denounced them. They don’t work, and generally only resulted in increased psychological issues.

3 Likes

Why would gender dysphoria be relieved by treating bipolar disorder, OCD, etc.? I can’t imagine, for example, how having OCD might contribute to gender dysphoria so that the dysphoria would improve if the OCD were treated.

If gender dysphoria is a psychological condition and there are other psychological illnesses present then the gender dysphoria may be exacerbated.
This happens with other conditions too.
That by treating one or more coexisting factors, the effects on one of the conditions are that, although not totally cured are none the less reduced.

2 Likes

But the other conditions might be exacerbated by the gender dysphoria, so it might not be completely evident which condition should be treated first or whether they should be treated simultaneously.

And you are correct in this, the point remains that we should not isolate one condition and make life changing decisions based only on one of them, unless they have really looked at the whole. And unfortunately seems what it is going on here.
In other words the medical practice should go back to see and treat individuals as persons and not numbers or pawns in the political arena.

2 Likes

It’s an unfounded accusation that doctors who provide medical care to transgender patients treat them as “pawns in the political arena.” I believe that most doctors want to provide the best medical care to their patients that they can, although, from what I’ve heard, transgender patient do sometimes experience prejudice or discrimination from some doctors, something that gay patients also sometimes encounter.

In addition, it’s not always easy to get competent treatment for mental health conditions. There is a shortage of psychiatrists and many of them don’t take insurance and many mental healthcare professionals, especially ones that poor people have access to, often lack the knowledge and competence to treat complicated cases, especially ones where there are several comorbid conditions.

This entire reasoning is a blatant, obvious, standard generalization fallacy.
It should be discarded outright.

Of course there will be transgender people with regret.
But what if I posted that 30 young men regret joining the Catholic priesthood?
I personally know of a priest that regretted his decision so much he fought depression, anger, and hatred against the Church hierarchy. He was eventually formally laicized it got so bad.

Certainly there are varying degrees of mental health issues. A lonely person suffering from depression or bipolar disorder can easily be misled into thinking that a sex change will be the cure, and we should look to help those people properly. But keep your eye on the ball here. MOST people that obviously are transgender WANT to be transgender. otherwise it wouldn’t be an issue.

3 Likes

I accidentally made this comment in another transgender thread thinking that it was this one. Here’s just the copy/paste of it:

To provide some statistics:

A 2015 report (p. 111 or p. 115 in a PDF reader) showed that only 8% of transgender people de-transitioned, and only 5% of those people did so because they realized that they really weren’t the gender that they transitioned to. Some quick math shows that that means a very small 0.004% of those who transition de-transition for that reason. In contrast, 36% of those who de-transition (0.029% of those who transition) did so due to parental pressure. Other common (double-digit percent) causes were “difficulties”, harassment, trouble getting a job, pressure from spouse, pressure from other family members, pressure from employers, and pressure from friends. Finally, of those who did de-transition, 62% did so only temporarily.

I’m not bringing this up to say that transitioning is good or that the experiences of those who de-transition for realizing that they aren’t the gender that they’re transitioning to aren’t worth considering. However, given how incredibly unlikely such a de-transition is, I think it’s worth pointing out so that we don’t blow the fact that they exist out of proportion. Such a miniscule percent would hardly register as a concern worth making changes over.

1 Like

1 Like

If someone is suffering from depression, it might be more difficult to do this, but it is always important for people to be advocates for themselves when it comes to their medical care. This means trying to be well informed about their own medical issues, questioning their doctors, talking to other people in similar situations, and sometimes perhaps even seeking an opinion from another doctor. In most cases, I feel that I’m in a partnership with my doctors and we usually make decisions about my medical care together. As a result, I don’t think that I can blame my doctors for a particular course of actions since we usually decided on it together. If I end up having regrets, it won’t necessarily be the doctor’s fault.

You can’t see how those two could be related? Gender dysphoria is a pervasive, obsessive feeling that a person is in the wrong sexual identity, despite all evidence to the contrary. OCD often manifests itself in similar ways, with the person unable to accept that their hands are clean enough despite washing over and over, or their makeup is acceptable, or that the faucet really is all the way off. I can easily see them being very closely related.

2 Likes

I think that you misunderstand how OCD works. I’m certainly not an expert on the topic, but I don’t think that it’s a matter of the person with OCD not “accepting” that their hands are clean. Rather, the repetitive and compulsive hand cleaning is something that has become a ritual that is used to relieve distressing and intrusive feelings of fear and anxiety. There is perhaps an underlying fear of germs, but the handwashing has become a compulsive and ritualized behavior, not just a refusal to “accept” that their hands are clean. From what I’ve read, people with OCD often do their rituals without even really thinking about it.

1 Like

Actually, based on my experience, both thought processes play a part. Participating in the ritual give the person a temporary feeling of “control”, but then they are never convinced that they “did it right” or something happens which triggers the need to do it over again, even when they cognitively know that their hands are clean. (or whatever the ritual may be.) Depending on the severity of the the OCD, some people may do the ritual without thinking, but others may be absolutely desperate to stop but simply can’t. It depends a lot on the individual and even the amount of stress the individual is under at a given time.

By human nature, this is the kind of thing that operates when there is a “no one finds this therapy is a bad fit for them” narrative going on.

No therapy works for everybody. There are always (a) the risk that the procedure or treatment will not have the desired effect and (b) the risk that there will be serious unwanted side effects that will lead the patient to decide to discontinue any treatment that can be discontinued.

If the idea of “transition” were something that was openly admitted to be a solution for some but not all patients, it would be a different matter. As it is, right now can anyone say that psychiatry has a Plan B for the patient who finds the therapy didn’t work for them? No, it can’t, because of the political forces invested in establishing the idea that transition is not an experimental treatment for a difficult psychiatric condition but support for The Truth about the patient’s unchangeable identity.

1 Like

Doctors don’t deal with “The Truth.” That’s strictly a religious thing.

That’s just the thing: men leave the seminary all of the time, and it isn’t held against them.
Ordained men can also seek laicization from the Holy See. Canon law does not deny that some men who receive Holy Orders will find that they are poorly suited to the life they once thought was their call from God. The men who come to that conclusion aren’t run out of the Church as failures. Bishops try to identify those who aren’t going to remain in the priesthood prior to ordination, but it isn’t the same as saying, “I thought I was truly a woman, I made the transition, and I was wrong. That is not who I am.”

Right now, I don’t think there is the freedom to say that, because there is too much defensiveness of whether this is a legitimate and necessary line of treatment.

1 Like

People who transition are very heavily invested in the premise that they are REALLY NOT a member of the sex that matches their bodies. It is not what they want, not a treatment they think will help them, but recognition of what they ARE. If someone undergoes the treatment and says, “Well, actually, I went through the whole thing and that actually is NOT who I am, in spite of what I thought,” that undermines the going narrative about the nature of gender identity and the ultimate authority of the patient to know unequivocally what their gender is.

5 Likes

I don’t know if it is true - at least outside the US it isn’t. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor specialized in neurology and psychology. Grave cases are evaluated by a jury of them -hopefully in this case specialized in sexology- an whatever decision they take hardly anyone would have legal authority to call them into question in a courtroom. Cases of medical malpractice are extremely difficult to prosecute, and having a medical doctor calling a decision by a jury of Md’s into question before a court is extremely rare. IMHO, I wouldn’t believe any article that doesn’t explicitly factor the former into the equation. Now what is also true, is that in the whole world and Europe included there’s a political push to legalize gender transitioning and legally changing gender on paper waving any requirement for a medical Jury.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.