33 AD (a vampire story)

So I'm perusing ebooks on my kindle and decide that it's been too long since I read a good vampire story. I started by searching Anne Rice's vampire books which I've read a few of just to see what it would give me as far as related ones and it brought up this one by David McAfee...

Apparently it's a story about vampires around the time of Jesus' crucifixion. Anyone read it? Is it any good?

Good heavens, really? I wonder what makes people think up storylines such as that? :shrug:

Oh that's been done several times. One movie from some years back had Dracula reveal towards the end of the movie he was actually Judas.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_2000

Mind you the Judas becomes a vampire because of his actions in this movie whereas in Anne Rice's novels vampires existed long before Christ and go back several thousand years before that period of time.

Jesus himself though has been used many times in horror and sci-fi movies, either directly or indirectly. Everyone from Michael Moorcock to C.S. Lewis to Philip Jose Farmer have either used him directly or he's been essential and important indirectly.

I remember that movie, Gerard Butler was Dracula I believe… it wasn’t horrible but I don’t think it should’ve been called a Dracula movie.

I downloaded the sample of 33AD and so far I’m actually kind of impressed. It’s a new take on an old genre and so far (the sample is only two chapters and I’ve only read one) it seems to not be bashing Christianity or insulting it. In fact I would say the opposit. SPOILER In the first chatper two people are killed one is a vampire killed by his former friend for “betraying” their race by choosing to follow a “deranged rabbi” (a quote from the bad guy who kills the two). Before his death the victim tells his friend “his words would save you”.

Anyway, I’m intrigued enough that I’ll most likely end up buying it :slight_smile:

Not so surprising really considering Anne Rice's on/off/on/off again relationship with Catholicism. Lestat for example spends a huge ammount of time pondering religion in the books he appears in. Indeed he falls in love with a nun at one point.

I didn’t know that (or forgot) I never read all of them as I got bored with Tale of the Body Thief. Interview, The Vampire Lestate and Queen of the Damned were the only three I made it through.

You should read Twilight instead. :p

Only if he wishes to become violently sick from the greatest over use of purple prose in recent history. Anne Rice is far from innocent in that regard but Stephanie Meyers is world class (unfortunately) in that regard.

I think Rice should have stopped with the first three or four vampire books. She’s not what I’d call great literature but compared to Twilight the ingreditents on the back of a bottle of Heinz ketchup could make a convincing claim to be so.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:7, topic:241292"]

[/quote]

You're a horrible person for having even suggested that!!! lol But as we're on a Catholic forum... I'll forgive you ;)

What's funny is I got sucked (get it!?) into watching the second Twilight movie the other day. I saw the wolves and I was like "cool what's this?" then I saw Bella and Edward and considered washing my eyes out with rubbing alcohol.

I think Rice should have stopped with the first three or four vampire books. She's not what I'd call great literature but compared to Twilight the ingreditents on the back of a bottle of Heinz ketchup could make a convincing claim to be so.

Agreed on both. I'm still curious about Memnoch the Devil (the 5th I believe) but from everything I've heard The Vampire Lestat is the best one so since I've read it I keep telling myself no.

Thanks. :smiley: I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist…:stuck_out_tongue:

Call the Holy Office!!!

[quote="Joe_5859, post:7, topic:241292"]

[/quote]

BURN!

It took three sittings through Hellsing Ultimate to purge that filth from my brain!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.