33 Day Preparation for de Montfort's Consecration to Mary

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today, July 13, begins the 33 day preparation for anyone desiring to consecrate or re-consecrate themselves to Jesus through Mary on the Feast of Our Lady’s Assumption, August 15.

Those who may be unfamiliar with this devotion to Mary, as described by St. Louis de Montfort in his classic treatise, True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, may want to read his words here.

You can also learn more about St. Louis de Montfort and Marian Consecration here.

Please join me each day as we prepare ourselves as an offering to Our Dearly Beloved Mother for Her Son, Jesus.

May the Holy Spirit continue to guide us all as we seek to know, love and serve Jesus and Mary more each day.

Introduction

St. Louis DeMontfort tells us that “those who desire to take up this special devotion” (total consecration to Jesus through Mary), "should spend at least twelve days in emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus. They should spend three weeks imbuing themselves with the spirit of Jesus through the most Blessed Virgin.

It is obvious that this total consecration, or perfect renewal of our baptismal vows with and through Mary, is not to be taken lightly. Pope John Paul II said that “Reading this book (St. Louis DeMontfort’s True Devotion To Mary was to be a turning point in my life… This Marian devotion… has since remained a part of me. It is an integral part of my interior life and of my spiritual theology.” In his Marian year encyclical, Mother of the Redeemer, speaking of Marian Spirituality, the Holy Father singles out: “among the many witnesses of this spirituality, the figure of Saint Louis Marie Grignion DeMontfort, who proposes consecration to Christ through the hands of Mary, as an effective means for Christians to live faithfully their baptismal commitments.”

Part One: Twelve preliminary days

Theme: Spirit of the World

Examine your conscience, pray, practice renouncement of your own will; mortification, purity of heart. This purity is the indispensable condition for contemplating God in heaven, to see Him on earth and to know Him by the light of faith.

The first part of the preparation should be employed in casting off the spirit of the world which is contrary to that of Jesus Christ. The spirit of the world consists essentially in the denial of the supreme dominion of God; a denial which is manifested in practice of sin and disobedience; thus it is principally opposed to the spirit of Christ, which is also that of Mary.

It manifests itself by the concupiscence of the flesh, by the concupiscence of the eyes and by the pride of life, by disobedience to God’s laws and the abuse of created things. Its works are: sin in all its forms, then all else by which the devil leads to sin; works which bring error and darkness to the mind, and seduction and corruption to the will. Its pomps are the splendor and the charms employed by the devil to render sin alluring in persons, places and things.

Prayers to be said during these twelve days

***Veni Creator ***

Come, Holy Spirit, Creator blest, and in our souls take up Thy rest; come with Thy grace and heavenly aid to fill the hearts which Thou hast made.
O comforter, to Thee we cry, O heavenly gift of God Most High, O fount of life and fire of love, and sweet anointing from above.
Thou in Thy sevenfold gifts are known; Thou, finger of God’s hand we own; Thou, promise of the Father, Thou Who dost the tongue with power imbue.
Kindle our sense from above, and make our hearts o’erflow with love; with patience firm and virtue high the weakness of our flesh supply.
Far from us drive the foe we dread, and grant us Thy peace instead; so shall we not, with Thee for guide, turn from the path of life aside.
Oh, may Thy grace on us bestow the Father and the Son to know; and Thee, through endless times confessed, of both the eternal Spirit blest.
Now to the Father and the Son, Who rose from death, be glory given, with Thou, O Holy Comforter, henceforth by all in earth and heaven. Amen.

***Ave Maris Stella ***

Hail, O Star of the ocean, God’s own Mother blest, ever sinless Virgin, gate of heav’nly rest.
Taking that sweet Ave, which from Gabriel came, peace confirm within us, changing Eve’s name.
Break the sinners’ fetters, make our blindness day, Chase all evils from us, for all blessings pray.
Show thyself a Mother, may the Word divine born for us thine Infant hear our prayers through thine.
Virgin all excelling, mildest of the mild, free from guilt preserve us meek and undefiled.
Keep our life all spotless, make our way secure till we find in Jesus, joy for evermore.
Praise to God the Father, honor to the Son, in the Holy Spirit, be the glory one. Amen.

***Magnificat ***

My soul doth magnify the Lord. And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. Because He hath regarded the humility of His handmaid; for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. Because He that is mighty hath done great things to me; and holy is His name. And His mercy is from generation to generations, to them that fear Him. He hath showed might in His arm; He hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart. He hath put down the mighty from their seat; and hath exalted the humble. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath received Israel His servant, being mindful of His mercy. As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever. Amen.

***Glory Be ***

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Day 1 - Monday- July 13th

Matthew 5:1-19

And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain, and when he was set down, his disciples came unto him. And opening his mouth, he taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called children of God. Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house. So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. Do not think that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For amen I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one tittle shall not pass of the law, till all be fulfilled. He therefore that shall break one of these least commandments, and shall so teach men, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But he that shall do and teach, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

*Pray the following:

Veni Creator
Ave Maris Stella
Magnificat
Glory Be

This is exciting! It took me a while to read and digest the words of The True Devotion, but now we can begin to live the words of St. Louis de Montfort. Please keep me in your prayers.

Josh

Thank you for the reminder and for posting it:)!!! God Bless you! You were heaven sent!:thumbsup:

Please sign me in:D
I hope to be a part of the CA group:grouphug: consecrated to Mary on the feast of Our Lady’s Assumption, 2009. I read the book on Sunday and started the prayers today.:gopray2:

I began my preparation today also. Thank you for your prayers!

Julie

Our Lady of Akita, Japan, pray for us!

Day 2 - Monday - July 14th

*Matthew 5:48, 6:1-15 *

"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect. (But) take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father. When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

This is how you are to pray:

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done, on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread;
and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors;
and do not subject us to the final test,
but deliver us from the evil one.

If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions."

Pray the following:

Veni Creator
Ave Maris Stella
Magnificat
Glory Be

Hello everyone. I began my preparation yesterday! I have had a nagging feeling to explore this devotion, though I knew little of the particulars. Anyways, the phrase “to Jesus through Mary” had been bouncing around my head a lot the past few weeks as sort of a point to reflect on. So yesterday I had this overwhelming feeling to be close to the Blessed Mother and I actually didn’t realize consecration was a process, I thought it was a one time thing. SO imagine my surprise when I look online and see that July 13th is one of the days to begin the preparation. Needless to say, I didn’t hesitate.
I am glad that this thread was created for me to come to during my journey.
p.s. I am going off the guide provided on the fish eaters website. Does anyone know if that is complete?

Hi MercyMia,

It’s no little surprise that you have this “nagging feeling” to come to Jesus through Mary as it is mentioned by so many saints and Popes (especially John Paul II) as the best way to come to know and ultimately trust in Jesus. Venerable Maria Teresa Quevedo once said:

“I love our Lord with all my heart. But he wants me to love our Lady in a special way and to go to him with my hand in Mary’s.”

With that in mind, I hope and pray that this 33-day preparation period puts you in the right frame of mind and spirit to offer yourself to Jesus through His Most Tender Mother.

As far as fisheaters.com is concerned, their layout is practically the same as what will be posted here.

Has anyone read “Jesus Living Through Mary” which is a Montfort publication?

It was being advertised on the back of my Preparation booklet and I noticed it during my prayers this morning. :slight_smile:

Holy Mother, help us on this journey. Sweet Saint John, the Beloved Apostle was chosen to receive you as our mother as he stood next to you at the foot of the cross. Help those of us on this journey to learn to love you like Beloved John loved you. John was the only apostle saved from martyrdom. He was also the only apostle who was at the foot of the cross next to you when Christ died. Keep us close to you until the day we die.

Hi jujubee,

I’ve listed a link to an online version of Jesus Living Through Mary in the first post above. Here ya go:

ewtn.com/library/Montfort/handbook.htm

http://www.catholicshopper.com/products/media/NWC_ST_121.jpg
Our Lady of Good Counsel, pray for us!

Day 3 - Wednesday - July 15

Matthew 7:1-14

"Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’ while the wooden beam is in your eye? You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.

"Do not give what is holy to dogs, or throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them underfoot, and turn and tear you to pieces.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asks for a fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.

"Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets.

“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.”

*Pray the following:

Veni Creator
Ave Maris Stella
Magnificat
Glory Be

“Ask and it will be given to you.”

Dear Mary I am asking.

Please bless our little group who sincerely wish to be consecrated on the day of your Assumption. Help us to learn to dedicate our lives to Jesus through you during these 33 days of special prayers.:gopray2:

Amen! Blessed Mother, pray for us on our 3rd day, as we are now 3 days closer to you!

http://www.olmc-dc.org/Our_Lady_Carmel.jpg
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, pray for us!

Day 4 - Thursday - July 16th

Imitation of Christ, by Thomas á Kempis: Book 3, Chapters 7, 40

LORD, what is man that You are mindful of him, or the son of man that You visit him? What has man deserved that You should give him Your grace? What cause have I, Lord, to complain if You desert me, or what objection can I have if You do not do what I ask? This I may think and say in all truth: “Lord, I am nothing, of myself I have nothing that is good; I am lacking in all things, and I am ever tending toward nothing. And unless I have Your help and am inwardly strengthened by You, I become quite lukewarm and lax.”

But You, Lord, are always the same. You remain forever, always good, just, and holy; doing all things rightly, justly, and holily, disposing them wisely. I, however, who am more ready to go backward than forward, do not remain always in one state, for I change with the seasons. Yet my condition quickly improves when it pleases You and when You reach forth Your helping hand. For You alone, without human aid, can help me and strengthen me so greatly that my heart shall no more change but be converted and rest solely in You.

He who wishes to be too secure in time of peace will often become too dejected and fearful in time of trial. If you were wise enough to remain always humble and small in your own eyes, and to restrain and rule your spirit well, you would not fall so quickly into danger and offense. When a spirit of fervor is enkindled within you, you may well meditate on how you will feel when the fervor leaves.
Pray the following:

Veni Creator
Ave Maris Stella
Magnificat
Glory Be

"He who wishes to be too secure in time of peace will often become too dejected and fearful in time of trial."
Holy Mary! I was a happy and secure child growing up during the most peaceful of times. Some people refer to those times as “Happy Days”. All Catholic school children went to daily mass and communion. It was the norm. Then came the infamous 60’s. Our country was at war…internally! externally! No longer did the school children go to daily mass. We no longer prayed for our priests. Satan was in his glory! Priests did not stand a chance without our daily prayers. Children were no longer taught, “Offer it up” but instead were pampered with constant praise to build up their self-esteem. Dear Mary, our country is no longer a country of peace. Please give us all the strength needed not to become fearful during this period of trial. We need you at our side each day.

Our Lady of Kazan, pray for us!

Day 5 - Friday - July 17th

Imitation of Christ, by Thomas á Kempis: Book 3, Chapter 40

Hence, if I knew well how to cast aside all earthly consolation, either to attain devotion or because of the necessity which, in the absence of human solace, compels me to seek You alone, then I could deservedly hope for Your grace and rejoice in the gift of new consolation.

Thanks be to You from Whom all things come, whenever it is well with me. In Your sight I am vanity and nothingness, a weak, unstable man. In what, therefore, can I glory, and how can I wish to be highly regarded? Is it because I am nothing? This, too, is utterly vain. Indeed, the greatest vanity is the evil plague of empty self-glory, because it draws one away from true glory and robs one of heavenly grace. For when a man is pleased with himself he displeases You, when he pants after human praise he is deprived of true virtue. But it is true glory and holy exultation to glory in You and not in self, to rejoice in Your name rather than in one’s own virtue, and not to delight in any creature except for Your sake.

Let Your name, not mine, be praised. Let Your work, not mine, be magnified. Let Your holy name be blessed, but let no human praise be given to me. You are my glory. You are the joy of my heart. In You I will glory and rejoice all the day, and for myself I will glory in nothing but my infirmities.

*Pray the following:

Veni Creator
Ave Maris Stella
Magnificat
Glory Be

…“let no human praise be given to me.”

Holy Mother! Please teach us your children to learn delayed gratification. We want our praise NOW. Help us to do a corporal or spiritual work of mercy today for someone we know will not praise us…eg. a stranger or even an enemy. Once we have done our work of mercy we must not even write about it on this thread.
“let no human praise be given to me.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.