3PM?

Hello! I've only been in the Church for a couple years, so I apologize if this is "something I should already know". I've seen various references (mainly on CAF) to 3PM somehow being a particularly Holy hour, but I haven't been able to find any reason WHY this is. Has anybody ever heard of this, and if so, can you enlighten me?

Bonus question: I've also heard that the opposite is true: 3AM is the "devil's hour" or something along those lines. Again, can somebody provide insight?

God bless,
Dean

[quote="dean24us, post:1, topic:292070"]
Hello! I've only been in the Church for a couple years, so I apologize if this is "something I should already know". I've seen various references (mainly on CAF) to 3PM somehow being a particularly Holy hour, but I haven't been able to find any reason WHY this is. Has anybody ever heard of this, and if so, can you enlighten me?

Bonus question: I've also heard that the opposite is true: 3AM is the "devil's hour" or something along those lines. Again, can somebody provide insight?

God bless,
Dean

[/quote]

Dean, it's the time of the death of the Lord.

As said in [BIBLEDRB]Mark 15:34-37[/BIBLEDRB]

“Ninth hour” here is 3 PM. The “first hour” of the Jewish day would be from dawn to about 8 AM (depending on the length of daylight).

Please go here for a nice chart of Roman versus Jewish time division: agapebiblestudy.com/charts/jewishtimedivision.htm

3 AM, being the “opposite” of 3 PM, is naturally seen then as the Devil’s hour, since the Devil is the opposite of Christ and God.

In the Diary of St. Faustina Jesus talked with her about his abundant mercy given at this hour of 3 in the afternoon. It was at this moment when Jesus expired and his sacrifice was complete as the greatest moment of his love for us. Here is what St. Faustina records in her diary of what she heard Jesus say to her. On page 474 paragraph 1320.

“At three o’clock, implore My mercy, especially for sinners; and, if only for a brief moment, immerse yourself in My Passion, paticularly in My abandonment at the moment of agony. This is the hour of great mercy for the whole world. I will allow you to enter into my mortal sorrow. In this hour, I will refuse nothing in the soul that makes a request of Me in virtue of My Passion.”

So at that moment, we pause and remember what he did for us and say, "Jesus I trust in you."
And “trust” means trust in his love for us that he will have mercy on any person who turns to him and asks for his mercy.

Thanks for the responses! I never realized "the ninth hour" equated to 3PM. Just a few follow-up questions...

1) Is the "3PM is holy" idea part of Catholic tradition (little t) or Tradition?

2) Is it 3PM local time or 3PM Jerusalem time?

3) I've also heard of 6PM being special somehow. Any ideas on this one?

God bless,
Dean

By the way, does anybody know of any good web sites to learn about these type of traditions?

God bless,
Dean

Hi Dean

thedivinemercy.org/message/devotions/hour.php

stjoe4u2

[quote="stjoe4u2, post:7, topic:292070"]
Hi Dean

thedivinemercy.org/message/devotions/hour.php

stjoe4u2

[/quote]

Thanks for the link! At this point, I'm hoping to find a resource where I can learn what other traditions like these are out there. From what I've seen, there are a lot of little things within Catholic tradition (small t) along the same lines that aren't necessarily taught by the Church, but are practiced or believed by many of the laity. I'd like to learn more about them, but I haven't been able to find reference yet.

Thanks,
Dean

[quote="dean24us, post:6, topic:292070"]
By the way, does anybody know of any good web sites to learn about these type of traditions?

God bless,
Dean

[/quote]

Catholic devotions site
theworkofgod.org/Devotns/devotns.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.