4 biological siblings adopted by gay "couple"

Ana Beatriz (6 years old), William (8), Carolina (10) and Suellen (12) were living at a shelter in Ribeirão Preto, in the Brazilian State of São Paulo, since 2003, when their mother lost their custody because she abused them due to the fact that she was addicted to drugs.

Couples who went to the shelter wanted to adopt only Ana Beatriz and William, but the Justice system determined that the four siblings should be kept together. So, they stayed at the shelter for four years waiting for adoption, which was possible only when João Amâncio, 37 years old, and Edson Paulo Torres, 42, said they wanted to adopt older kids. The kids went through psychological and social evaluation before the judge gave the definitive guard to the two men. João and Edson have been together for 17 years and they had already raised together two of Edson’s three biological children.

The sentence was issued last January 13. Now, the lawyer who represents the “couple” and the Childhood and Youth Attorney will be let known about the decision. The siblings would get new birth certificates last Feb. 2, in which Amâncio and Torres will be reported as parents.

For Suellen, the decision was a victory. “Now we will be glad about speaking our name”, she said. With the decision, the siblings will be able to adopt the men’s last name.

According to them, both of Edson’s biological kids who lived with the “couple” grew up: the girl got married and the boy wanted to live at the mother’s house. Amâncio says he wanted to adopt a child because he had a dream of being called “father”. This is why they decided to go to the shelter.

He says that, since their fist visit, the “couple” was “adopted” by Suelen. She sent a letter to the judge saying that she would only accept to be separated from her siblings if it was to live with them.

In 2006, judge Paulo César Gentile ended up giving tutelage of the four kids to Amâncio. Since then, the biological mother never looked for the kids.

Amâncio says that, in the beginning, it was hard. Torres got scared. They had to get a bigger house and a bigger car for the “couple” and the kids. He says he only thought that his parents, with much less money, had raised 15 kids, so he would be up to raising the 4 siblings. They only needed to stop eating at restaurants, stop going out at night, and everything worked out, since, one year later, they got the provisory guard of the kids.

He says they even hired a maid to look after the kids when they are working. Edson and Amâncio are both hairdressers and they have a beauty parlor in Ribeirão Preto.

Amâncio says he ended up gaining in quality of life because now he eats fresh food, made at home, beside his kids. They always dine together and try to spend all free time with the kids. Torres even think about adopting one more, but Amâncio thinks they still have to enjoy their life with the four siblings first, because they’re all small and need their attention.

He says that happiness would be complete when the new documents of the kids arrived. Amâncio says he doesn’t feel discriminated. He says people may talk at their back, but when people meet him on the street or at the supermarket, most people only make compliments and greet him, adding that the most difficult part in his life was “comming out of the closet”.

He says that part of this matter was solved when he wrote the book “Adoção de 4 Irmãos” (The Adoption of 4 Siblings), released last year in Brazil. He and Torres wrote the book to narrate how the construction of the family happened and the difficulties of the process.

They wrote the book on weekends and at night, after work. According to the two men, the purpose on writing the book is to encourage the adoption of older kids, since most people prefer adopting babies.

“The line (for adoption) is big, but only for small babies. Kids who are four years old or older overabound the shelters. We need to open our hearts”, João said last year, when they released the book.

According to Amâncio, there wasn’t prejudice from the judicial system, that treated the case as if it was an adoption by a heterossexual couple.

He says that the important thing is the affection and the care they have with the children, since two men gave them “a home as any other” and the only difference is that they have two male parents.

Another interesting point in the family, according to the newspaper “O Globo”, from Rio de Janeiro, is that Edson’s ex-wife is a close friend of both men and advise them on how to raise the boys.

Amâncio and the woman got very close because the two men raised two of her sons and they though she should be present and, therefore, they always kept a good relation. Now he doesn’t have any problem about getting advice from her about what to do with one of the four kids. She’s even going to be Carol’s godmother.

All the information was taken from a report published last January 15 on “O Globo” and from another website (I’ve lost the link to it).

Awesome, lucky kids.
:thumbsup:

Poor children, they’re in my prayers.

As anyone who works in child custody matters will tell you, homosexual adoptive parents are as good as heterosexual adoptive parents. The studies bear this out.

And either is better than foster homes.

Which studies? Maybe it might be lovely if you could share them. The only studies that I have read are by the American College of Pediatricians, on Homosexual parenting: Is it time for change? acpeds.org/?CONTEXT=art&cat=22&art=50 that clearly do not argue this.

This group is a medical association of pediatricians and pediatric healthcare professionals in the United States. It was founded in 2002, including by the former president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Dr. Joseph Zanga.

Excellent. I’m glad those siblings are together in one family. :slight_smile:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Would you expect anything else from their reports when it turns out the American College of Pediatricians (ACP) was founded by departees from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and created because of their opposition to homosexual parenting? The ACP is to AAP, as NARTH is to APA, the American Psychological Association. And they probably haven’t spent as much time to fix a name for their new organization as the folks at NARTH when they departed from APA.

acpeds.org/?CONTEXT=art&cat=10002&art=150&BISKIT=3917674704

Thank you, God, for not giving me two male hairdressers to **double **as fathers. Thank you for giving me also a mother, a mother who was flawed, had mental illness, was often overwhelmed with the task of mothering four children in a military family that traveled the globe and caused us to be uprooted often. Thank you because my mother in her pain taught me compassion and forgiveness, though I was slow to learn it. Thank you for providing a mother who was unconventional for any woman of her day, and thus showed me a fuller breadth of womanhood than anything I could have learned from an adoptive mother of her day, or from being confined to men as my primary role models.

Our household was often troubled, tense, frightened. Yet you knew better than us how strengthening those troubles would be, how it would enable us, our parents’ children, to survive even more difficult & frightening trials later in life, as adults alone, on our own.

Thank you for providing such a tender, close relationship with a parent of the opposite sex, that I knew what to look for in a mate, by example. Thank you also for showing my siblings and me the good and the bad of a heterosexual relationship, since none of us are gay. We learned how to distinguish between good and bad communication between the sexes, which is a radically different and more difficult journey than communication within one gender.

Thank you also for providing, in my adulthood, gay friends (some friends of the family) who have enriched my life in ways much different than the enrichment and modeling of parenthood. They have given me **different **lessons to be learned. Because I have learned compassion as my mother’s daughter, I have also learned compassion for those different from me in particular ways. And because of that, I never had the problem of teaching hate or rejection to my children. I didn’t learn that from gay couples. I learned that from the experience of my difficult childhood. And so now my (straight) daughters have an occasional gay friend, and they would insitinctively know that such friends would be welcome in my house.

Not all foster homes are bad. Many would be preferable to being raised by these people and indoctrinated into the belief that the behaviour of their guardians is acceptable. I am saying this as someone who has a lot of experience with ‘‘child custody matters’’ and the fostering system.

This is an area I always struggle with. I don’t believe in gay adoption, but… (“everyone has such big buts”)…if they are on the bottom of the adoptive parent list, then I think it is reasonable.

What I mean by that is there are children who don’t ever get adopted. As the article mentions, people like to adopt babies, but they don’t like to adopt older kids. I met a lesbian couple at Disneyland who had two adopted siblings. They were also severely abused by their biological parents. The oldest, a boy, was mentally impaired due to injuries to his skull. No one wanted to adopt him, so these two women provided him and his brother a loving home. I personally have a hard time giving a 100% “NO” to gay parents in these sorts of situations.

Learn what good is,
Evil is 0% purpose, misuse, and lacking of any form or matter,
Good is 110% purpose, beauty, and the form is sacred,
designed for a thing we can’t even comprehend fully.
Because god designed us that way to awe him.

“Because god designed us that way to awe him.”

No offense, but no body is doing any AWEING to God. Just wanted to let you know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.