4 gates of hell

They say of the 4 gates of hell, theft unlike sins that can be simply forgiven, restitution must be made. I have never had to confess this but are you given a duty of restitution? Blasphemy is done to the face of God by those who know who God is. Those who crucified Christ didn’t know who he was. These are serious sins including impurity and hatred.

To billcu112h.

You state “they say”. Who are they?? The Church does not say what you stated.

@billcu1

Exodus 20:15 You shall not steal.17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Theft is a serious sin its breaking of the 7 and 10th Commandments ,its a crime of stealing,Those who didnt confessed them, should confess asap,right from the childhood ,other wise it will become a habit of stealing , all begins by using other"s things with out permission ,and he or she might begin to justifies ourselves ,that its not a sin or nothing wrong in it,he or she doesn’t use it anyway, these are all excuses to sin, but it should be confessed ,in kind and in number.If he or she cannot make restitution to that person ,they can always give the same amount in charity or give it at the time of offertory during, Holy Mass, Jesus understands that.

Those who did it ,Please confess those sins, immediately because your receiving Holy Communion in moral sins .You will be at peace, for your conscience sake.God Bless

John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

1 Peter 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, a criminal, or even as a mischief maker.

I guess he was a Franciscan.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01334a.htm

And that would have been founded by John of the Cross. I think he was a bishop. St. Alphonsus.

I will have to think of a time I stole. Geesh I am sure I have. But I’m really not a thief. I have much more pressing sins.

Yes, there is a duty of restitution. Sometimes restitution is not possible (e.g. no longer in contact with the person you stole from) or cause more harm than good (e.g. the victim of the theft would be greatly distressed). In those cases, you can do restitution indirectly by giving away the stolen item and giving away money equivalent to its worth. In every other case, the duty is to return the stolen item (or its equivalent in money) to its original owner and apologize for your actions. However, you should not make this decision on your own. When confessing the sin of theft, ask your priest whether restitution is necessary and what form it should take. Follow his advice.

@billcu1

am sorry, i misunderstood you post, but sure we all have done it in the past , i corrected it in my post ,God Bless

What means the “four gates of hell”? I have not heard this phrase before.

http://catholicharboroffaithandmorals.com/Gates%20of%20Hell.html

In the link I posted above it says:
"The reason is because for the remission of other sins true repentance only is required; but repentance is not enough for the remission of theft: there must be restitution, and this is made with difficulty. A certain hermit had once the following vision: he saw Lucifer seated on a throne, and inquiring of one of his demons why he had been so long about returning. The latter replied that he had been detained by his endeavors to tempt a thief not to restore what he had stolen. Let this fool be severely punished, said Lucifer. To what purpose have you spent this time? do you not know that he who has taken tlie property of another never restores it ? And, in truth, so it is: the property of another becomes to him who takes it like his own blood; and the pain of suffering one’s blood to be drawn for another is very difficult to endure. We learn it every day from experience: innumerable thefts take place; how much restitution do you see? "

The four gates of Hell is NOT a Church teaching!!

Ok what do I do throw it out ? This St was a Franciscan I believe. It sounded good to me. What does the church say here ? Is this denounced ?

Why would Church say anything about it. Its not a teaching.

But St. Alphonsus Liguori is a Catholic Saint.
"He was canonized in 1839 by Pope Gregory XVI and proclaimed a Doctor of the Church by Pope Pius IX in 1871. One of the most widely read Catholic authors, he is the patron saint of confessors."
Are you saying that the text in the link I posted is not his?

Whether a saint or not and whether widely read or not does not mean what he says is Church teaching. There is no Church teaching about the four gates of Hell.

Is Mariology a church teaching? I have heard the church teaches 2 things about Mary. The question then is how do you know something is a church teaching or not. And is St. Alphonso’s words, if not a teaching, rubbish?

This is what the Church teaches about Mary:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p6.htm

To billcu1.

If you want to know what the Church teaches read the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

When I was a child I took a single bead from a bracelet that had broken in a store.
Would this count as stealing?

Got it. So all you are questioning is the general “they say” in the question?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.