4 Months Pregnant + Appendicitis + Angry Husband

Hi everyone,

I found out I was pregnant in August, and have had a bit of a rough time with it, but things have gotten better as time went by until a few weeks ago I got really sick, I wasn’t hungry at all, my lower back hurt and I got dizzy when I stood up. I thought it was all part of being pregnant and my low weight. When the pain in my right side of my abdomen got really bad I went to the doctor and got sent for an ultrasound to make sure baby was okay.

Baby is fine. My appendix however, is not.

My appendix has to be taken out…but my doctor said there is no guarentee that my baby will survive as I have to be put under for the surgery.

I don’t know what to do, my husband is angry with me because I refused the surgery. He’s no longer talking to me and said that if I don’t have the surgery he is moving in with a friend of his until I do.

What do I do? What are my options…do I have any??

Thank you in advance to all that reply!

You have to get the surgery, what do you think will happen to you and the baby if your appendix bursts?

It will be even worse as you’re further along in your pregnancy.

pray for the best, but you do need the surgery, perhaps, the doctor can give you a spinal? Ask? And be sure to check with your ob/gyne about the risks involved.

Your husband is scared to death for both yours and your child’s safety. I hate that he is expressing it that way. Perhaps you should ask him if he is afraid/worried about what might happen.

I agree with the above posters: your child is at greater risk without the surgery than with it.

Oh sweetheart, My prayers are with you at this time.

Listen You may lose the baby if you have the surgery. You will definitly loose the baby if you do not have the surgery and your appendix bursts and is not treated which is surgery to save your life.

throw your trust on God right now, I would give it to tomorrow morning if it does not get better or if it get worse before then go in and get the surgery and make sure they know your wishes IE key hole surgery, constant monitering of your baby.

I had an appendectomy when I was young, back then it was a big surgery, now it can be done “keyhole”. I had 3 attacks before I ended up having it burst. What you are saying about the dizziness and pain is classic of an appendix ready to burst (if it hasn’t already) Listen sweety I don’t know if any one is around you right now but please make sure your not alone (this can be fatal). Go for broke and thow your faith on the lord, Please go get it taken care of now. Make your wishes be known. It will not be your fault no matter what happens. Maby all God wants is your faith in this matter. We must except what it is God would have us except. I do not believe he would have you die. Ask for a pro-life doctor at the hospital, insist on one before the surgery in fact don’t agree unless a doctor agrees to do all that he can to save the baby. I wish I knew where you lived so I could direct you to a catholic hospital. I beg you don’t wait to long or both of you might be lost.

I am praying God keeps his hand on your baby, so is everyone else. now Go!

Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be they name, they kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven, give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil, for thyn is the kingdom and the power and the glory for ever and ever AMEN.

Lord we are not worthy to recieve you but only say the word and we shall be healed.

Go now, Hold your faith strong and except what ever the lord has for you.

While I cannot give you any medical advice, I can tell you what the Church says on the subject. If a pregnant woman’s life is in imminent jeopardy and requires a medical procedure which will result in the death of the fetus, so long as the abortion was not the intent of the procedure, there is no moral dilema in choosing to have the procedure. This is usually applied to the case of an ectopic pregnancy, but things are a bit clearer with appendicitis as the diseased organ is not the one with the baby in it. If you choose not to have the surgery, both of you will die. If you do have the surgery, you both have a chance at life. The purpose of the surgery is to remove the diseased organ, the appendix, not to take the life of the unborn child.

Medical advice cannot be solicited on CAF. Please discuss your decision with a physician.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.