4 shot, hostages taken in Binghamton, N.Y

Everyone please pray that there are no more casualties. This is an ongoing situation with an unknown outcome. Also, please pray for those who were shot and their families, as well as all involved in this situation.

"4 shot, hostages taken in Binghamton, N.Y.
Officials: Gunman might be holding dozens at immigration center

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and news services
updated 11 minutes ago
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - At least four people were shot and dozens were taken hostage Friday at an immigration services center, according to officials and news reports.

NBC’s Pete Williams cited city and state officials as saying that as many 13 people might have been killed. But Williams cautioned that the information was very preliminary and may change as the hours go by because police were still searching the building.

At least 41 people were in the American Civic Association building at the time of the shooting, The Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin reported."…

Entire article here: msnbc.msn.com/id/30030756/?GT1=43001

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

Its now up to 13 dead and 26 wounded. Of course, the nutcase who did it had the good taste to shoot himself, too.

This is such a tragic story.

One of the facts that came out of the story is that the shooter was a Vietnamese immigrant.

Wasn’t the shooter in the Virginia Tech shootings a South Korean immigrant?

Recently a Chinese immigrant to Canada beheaded a man with a knife on a Greyhound bus for no apparent reason.

Is there some cultural thing with the Southeast Asian community that might find North America both an attractive place to come and yet an inhospitable place to live? I dunno. I’m asking. Is our culture alluring to people’s emotion but disappointing to them in fact?

Good. It saves police and the courts trouble.

Not being American I won’t comment on ‘‘American culture’’ and it’s good points and bad points. But I doubt the guy’s East Asian background was what set him off. Plenty of homegrown Americans go on killing sprees too.

Eternal Rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace.

For the survivors:

Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our deaths. Amen.

You know, I don’t know why the race card is being played here. The VA Tech shooter was a citizen born here of Korean ancestry. We had a Hmong shooting of several hunters in MN and a Vietnamese CCW holder shooting people in upstate NY. An there was the beheading in Canada.

Folks should realize that Korea, China and Vietnam are very different places with different cultures and traditions. To try to lump them together is really misplaced. What should be recognized is that all of those charged with the horrendous slayings (except the Hmong deer hunter) were clearly insane. It is a tragedy that their mental problems translated into murderous rages.

Correction: There is no evidence the Binghamton shooter had a CCW.

I would think that you will probably find this person having more in common with the Omaha killer than it having to do with his culture, granted he may not have the same family problems. On the other hand I think you might be right about the culture of the US being alluring, but yet disappointing to some of the immigrants. Most disappointed people don’t go on mass shootings though. I think though that one thing that could be done is to make sure that immigrants are told about mental problems, and how to get help for those people with them.

As the face of America changes, so does the face of Americans on killing sprees reflect these changes.

On the other hand, it is possible that the high degrees of personal freedom that are experienced in a country like America can be overwhelming to many immigrants not used to such freedom. It is possible that they engage in the same kind of nihilistic behaviors as the homegrown American killers, but for different reasons.

Beau, I played NO race card. I asked about culture and if the American society was alluring in theory to these people who are of a different culture and yet disappointing in reality. Please read more carefully and please stop reading more into things than exist.

Possibly.

Yes, but as these were immigrants gone crazy I asked the questions about the culture to see if anyone else wondered the same things. We do have our share of homegrown nutballs. But that isn’t what I was wondering about.

Well I would say that the fact that U.S citizens go on shooting sprees proves that it isn’t something to do with an immigrant’s culture.

Besides, Vietnamese and Korean culture are very different.

I guess, I would have to say yes, I think there are many instances (and myself knowing of a few) where the US was alluring, but in the end dissapointing, even to the point of it feeling inhospitable (myself not really knowing of those instances.) I really have a hard time seeing how exactly the general culture of SE Asia would present an increased chance of this happening compared to other factors that we share as humans.

The fact that 1 type does something does not disprove another type. Both types may do something similar for very different reasons. It is the motive that I am trying to understand and wonder if it has something to do with immigrants becoming disenchanted with our culture.

While the general culture of SE Asia may or may not present some increased chance of this, we can all turn to the “Middle Eastern” culture and suggest that it does have some connection to certain types of behavior. That said, I simply am asking if we are missing something that is behind the motives?

It could be that there is NOTHING, and that may well be the case. But these folks all seemed to be in despair, all seemed to be in situations where they felt put upon by our society/culture at their workplaces (or school) so that is why I wondered if there was a connection. I’m not saying there is one, I’m just asking if there is one?

Acknowledged, however as the child of an immigrant, and the relative of a great many more, and the friend of even more immigrants and children of immigrants, I can say from experience most people immigrate for reasons other than ‘‘I think it’d be really nice to live there’’ or ‘‘The culture there is so cool!’’.

Personally I greatly doubt that the culture of these people led them to do this, as you mentioned three isolated incidents as far as I can recall. America has a large population of Vietnamese and Korean immigrants. If their cultures truly influenced that kind of behaviour when in ‘‘foreign lands’’ you would have a lot more trouble on your hands I’d wager.

God bless

Peter

Hey everyone, I don’t mind all the debating that’s going on now, but please remember to pray as well. It’s going to take some people, including myself, a long time to get over this. :frowning:

I too am a 1st Generation American. I know of what you speak. It still doesn’t nullify my questions. But perhaps my question is off the mark. It was just a question.

Now your making part of the question something it is not. Just because a place may be alluring, doesn’t make the decision based on frivolous reasons, such as “I think the culture is cool.” That may be fine for taking a vacation or even an extended stay, but not so much for a reason to spend your life elsewhere. The reasons can be a lot more heavy than that, but that doesn’t take out an allure from the consideration.

Well here is another shooting. While details are not yet known, at least superficially it appears to be involving Koreans, very possibly immigrant Koreans.

This is possibly a domestic/marriage issue?

[INDENT]
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_re_us/retreat_shooting_10
**4 shot, 1 dead at Korean retreat center in Calif.
By GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press Writer
Wed Apr 8, 7:46 am ET
TEMECULA, Calif. – A gunman opened fire at a remote Korean Christian retreat center Tuesday night, leaving one person dead and at least three people injured, authorities said.

Authorities were first called to the rural area about 7 p.m. after receiving reports about a man shooting his wife, California Highway Patrol spokesman Mario Lopez said.

But investigators were still trying to learn the circumstances of the shootings, and were hindered by a language barrier in trying to sort out the facts, Riverside County Sheriff’s spokesman Dennis Gutierrez said.
…[/INDENT]

My thoughts on it is that while the cultures in S.E. Asia are different, I think they all are going to share some fundamental outlooks. They are heavily influenced by Confucianism. If you look at it this way, even the Atheist and the Secular Humanists in the West are heavily influenced by Christianity.

One thing that may play a factor is the pressure that males are placed on the males. There is a more general sentiment placed on your role in your family or clan, than we in the West who are more individualistic. We may only have to look ourselves in the mirror or give an honest account of ourselves to God. While some from the East may have to account for themselves to their ancestors and to those who will come after them.

The males may have more emphasis placed into a system of a formal hierarchy, the females have more emphasis placed into an informal system. The males may feel more of a burden of having to keep a prestigious job. It is hard to say though of the importance, that dynamic can vary a lot, but I think it is suffice to say, the male probably can feel more of that burden.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.