4 volume LOH Daytime Prayer Question

I am a little bit confused about the daytime prayer for the LOH. First of all, I used to use the Christian Prayer edition of the LOH and the daytime prayers were easier to pray. However, now with the four volume edition, I have a bit of confusion.

First of all, is the proper antiphon said before and after each of the three Psalms in daytime prayer or just before the first Psalm and after the last of the three Psalms?

For the complimentary Psalms for other hours, do I have to say the same identical Psalm prayers from the first hour between the Psalms or do I just go from one Psalm to another? Also, as in the first question, do I have to say the proper antiphon before and after each Psalm or just once before the first Psalm and once after the last Psalm.

When I prayed daytime prayers with Christian prayer, there were already antiphons with the complementary Psalms and different concluding prayers for each canonical daytime prayer unlike with the four volume where I have to use the same prayer as in morning prayer.

I looked at the online book from the Rosary Shop website, but it was not very clear on this. I do understand all the other hours but it is only daytime prayer in which I am confused.

So, if anyone out there who uses the four volume LOH can help me, I would appreciate it.

To your first question, Yes, you are correct. You say the antiphon a total of two times: at the beginning of the first psalm and after the third, praying the doxology at the end of each psalm.

I am a little bit confused by your second question. To preface it though, the psalm prayers are not, strictly speaking, in the Roman Office. They appear in the English translation but not in the original Latin. They can be helpful to prayer but are not binding or required. In the four volume set, the complimentary hours psalms do not have psalm prayers (which is what confuses me). You would not move a psalm prayer from one psalm to another (for example, taking one for the four-week psalter and applying it to a complimentary hour psalm). So, you would pray just like above.

Here an outline to make things clear:

1. Antiphon (Proper of Seasons in the current volume)
  2. Text of the first psalm
  3. Doxology (Glory to the Father…)
    -Optional psalm prayer if provided-
    -A brief silence is appropriate-
  4. Text of the second psalm
  5. Doxology (Glory to the Father…)
    -A brief silence is appropriate-
  6. Text of the third psalm
  7. Doxology (Glory to the Father…)
  8. Repeat Antiphon

To clarify, I know there is no Psalm prayer between the Psalms in the complementary section in both Christian Prayer and in the four volume. However, for some reason, I had the impression that I had to use the Psalm prayers from the daytime office that I was required to read between the Psalms from the complementary daytime prayer.

As for the closing prayer, I was a bit surprised that I had to repeat the same prayer I said during Lauds. It is just that in the Christian Prayer edition, the daytime prayer already had ready made concluding prayers for each daytime office while the four volume did not.

I just want to make sure I am praying the LOH correctly and exactly the same way the religious and clergy pray it.

That’s great! Between the different series (one volume, four volume) things can be a little confusing.

Cathmass thanks for asking those questions. Some day I’ll ask the smart folks here to lead us page by page. I’m also groping in the dark trying to understand if I’m doing it correctly. I wonder what is the conclusion supposed to be as in the Ordinary? Oh well time to go home on the Metro and read/pray the LOTH.

I have been praying the Liturgy of the Hours regularly since 1994. I have also been a novice in two different religious orders between 1994 and now (I’m not currently in religious life or seminary). I hope I can shed some light on how to pray the Divine Office.

There is a difference with Daytime Prayer between the one volume and four volume sets. The one volume set only uses the Week I Psalter for Daytime Prayer. It also always uses the antiphons, readings, responsory, and concluding prayer from Ordinary Time.

Cue is correct about how to pray Daytime Prayer. I will fill in what he didn’t cover.

Daytime Prayer during Ordinary Time consists of three Psalms with an antiphon before and after each Psalm. It also has a concluding prayer specifically for each hour. This is what you have been praying when using the one volume set.

Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter have a different format. There is only one antiphon instead of three and it is said before the first Psalm and after the third Psalm. The concluding prayer is taken from the proper of the day. Today you would say the prayer from Thursday in the Second Week of Easter. However, when there is a saint’s feast day, as there will be on Saturday for St. Anselm, you will still take the prayer from the proper of the day. Office of Readings and Morning Prayer you will say the prayer for the feast of St. Anselm. Daytime Prayer you will say the prayer from Saturday in the Second Week of Easter. Evening Prayer would also use the prayer from the saint’s feast day if it didn’t fall on a Saturday.

Monday is the feast of St. George. This means you will say the prayer for St. George after Office of Readings, Morning Prayer, and Evening Prayer. You will say the prayer for the Monday in the Third Week of Easter for Daytime Prayer.

A brief overview of Daytime Prayer goes as the following:

Opening: O God come to my assistance; O Lord make haste to help me. Glory be to the Father… alleluia.

Hymn

Antiphon (during Easter season it’s always Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia).

Psalmody (three Psalms followed by the Glory be after each Psalm)

Reading

Responsory

Concluding Prayer

Dismissal (always Let us praise the Lord and give Him thanks if saying the office by yourself or in a group without a deacon, priest, or bishop present)

Night Prayer follows a similar format to Daytime Prayer during the Easter Season. Sunday Night Prayer I (said on Saturday) and Wednesday Night Prayer the antiphon of Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia is said before the first Psalm and after the second Psalm. It is not said in between the first and second Psalm.

It takes a while to get comfortable praying the Liturgy of the Hours. The important thing to remember is that you are praying the official prayer of Holy Mother Church. Our Lord is pleased you are making the effort even if you make mistakes. Keep perservering and don’t worry if you are saying it correctly or not. You will get the hang of it in no time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.