4 Volume Office of Readings questions LOTH

Dear Caf’ers… I try to be considerate and use the search engine but end up getting frustrated… lol My questions are the following. In the OOR it says to get the hymn from the beginning of the season. Is the hymn when the office is prayed privately omitted? If it is not omitted then where does one get it?

Since it is Easter season, then I am assuming that you pray the Te Deum? And finally, is the Concluding Prayer omitted since the office is prayed in private and not communally. Would the Concluding Prayer be kept out as well like in other hours?

I apologize if in using the search engine this has been answered already, but I couldn’t find the answer so readily. I am just so excited that I am praying the Divine Office again after a long hiatus, that I want to pray it the right way!

Thanks and God bless :grinning:

First off, it’s great that you’ve returned to praying the Liturgy of the Hours! God will greatly reward you for your efforts! I know that even in the worst parts of my life, it was the light that sustained me, even if I was only praying it out of habit.

With regards to hymns, you can take it from the season or from anywhere else in the book. And in private recitation there’s more leeway, of course. Sometimes I just read one verse of the hymn, sometimes I might even just say a Hail Mary.

The Te Deum is prayed on Sundays (outside of Lent) and feasts/solennities.

The concluding prayer, if by that you mean the collect, is never omitted, as it’s the prayer thematic to the day. If by that you mean the verse “May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil…” then this is what is said in private recitation of the cardinal hours of morning and evening prayer or in the absence of a priest or deacon. With a priest or deacon presiding, of course, there’s a final blessing given in the usual way as at Mass. And in the other hours, the OOR and the Daytime hours, I say “Let us praise the Lord/and give him thanks.”

Hope this helps, and if you have further questions feel free to PM me.

Fr ACEGC

" In the OOR it says to get the hymn from the beginning of the season. Is the hymn when the office is prayed privately omitted? If it is not omitted then where does one get it?"

Today, the hymn is found on page 1415-16, then it begins the psalms.The hymn is never omitted. It is always given before the psalms.

“Since it is Easter season, then I am assuming that you pray the Te Deum? And finally, is the Concluding Prayer omitted since the office is prayed in private and not communally. Would the Concluding Prayer be kept out as well like in other hours?”

Yes, the Te Deum is prayed on Sundays and Solemnities. It is found on page s 1047-48. The concluding prayer is always prayed. Today it is found on page 986.

“I apologize if in using the search engine this has been answered already, but I couldn’t find the answer so readily. I am just so excited that I am praying the Divine Office again after a long hiatus, that I want to pray it the right way!”

It helps if you use the Saint Joseph Guide for The Liturgy of the Hours. (ALL parts starts on page 981, Psalms start on page 1416, and Night Prayer is found on page 1638.) Also, apps like Universalis, iBeviary etc. have it written out for you. I hope this helps.

Yes, your response does help. Thank you so much and God bless. :slight_smile:

Easter season hymns are available which start on page 542 of volume 2. You may chose to do either the hymn from the psalter or any of the hymns from the Easter section.

That is true. I just decide to take the easier way to choose the hymn.

I didn’t know you could choose hymns that way…makes things so much easier! Thank you for your help. :smile:

And just in case anybody asks, if you don’t know the tune of the hymn, you can recite it. But you do not omit it.

The concluding prayer is always said, unless the Office of Readings is joined to another office.

The Te Deum is said only on Sundays outside of Lent, Solemnities, and Feasts. It is not said on weekdays, Easter or otherwise.

Thank you. I want to make sure that I pray the Divine Office the right way. It is good to know that the hymn is not omitted. And knowing the Te Deum is only said on Sundays is something I didn’t know… Thanks again. God bless you. :slight_smile:

The Te Deum is specifically said as part of the Office of Readings on Sundays and feasts.

Sundays, Feasts, and Solemnities.

Gotcha! Thanks! :blush:

The LOTH was designed to be prayed with a group.

Praying the LOTH by yourself or even with your spouse, singing or reciting the hymn is not necessary.

Jim

I found this on line when I was fighting with the General Instructions for the LOTH. My wife and I pray the OOR every morning and I found this book to be very easy to understand.

It gives everything you need to pray properly and tells what all the options are. AND IT IS FREE. You can print it off, PDF format or, if you don’t want to print 76 pages, you can send off for a copy from their web site for a nominal fee ($12.00 I think).

Another helpful tool is an iPhone app called Breviary Tunes., a free d/l from the app store that plays most of the tunes in the 4 vol LOTH except the copy righted ones.

Patrick
AMDG

Thank you for the link. It’s appreciated. God bless.

Yes and no. When the current LOTH was designed, it was recognized that the needs of diocesan clergy, religious, and religious bound to choir, were different. It was designed to be adaptable to all circumstances. So private recitation was very much intended as one of the ways to pray the LOTH. It was a trend started by Pius X with the previous Roman Breviary as well, but it was still to heavy for solo clergy with a large parish to administer and resulted in things like priests rattling off all offices of the day in one sitting to get it out of the way.

The current LOTH does not allow that but in return has been simplified and lightened to make that less tempting.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.