40% of babies born to unmarried women !!!

*October 31, 2012:
**“More than 40 percent of all babies born in the country last year, the report said, were born to unmarried women.” *http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon13.gif Link.

WAKE-UP people WAKE-UP, and remember that you are committing a mortal sin, and the consequence is no inheritance of GOD’s Kingdom (1 Corinthians 6:9-10):
“Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

While we can’t ignore the wrong that is in pre-marital sex, at least the babies were born right? The silver lining for me here is that these kids weren’t aborted.

Shatterpoint, I completely agree- PRAISE GOD that these children were born and not murdered in the womb.

The big however is that the destruction of the family (i'm convinced) has caused so many ills in our society and so few people see it. I am a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters, my "little brother" is one of 5 children, all with a different father. He's a great kid, but he sees his mother's behavior as normal. His mom seems like a wonderful woman, but there are many serious problems with the older children in the family, including gang activity. I really feel that with a positive father figure his older brothers wouldn't be where they are today. One was actually wounded in a gang related shoot out about a year ago.

I have to agree with Shatterpoint and Kib. Although these women have committed a sin at least they have not committed a worse one by destroying the life they have created. I do think it is important that a child have a father figure but there is no reason why this can not be a grandfather or uncle.

Adultery: Commandment #6, a mortal sin.
Abortion: Commandment #7, a mortal sin.
[size=4]
Those who are [size=4]committing[/size] both have double [/size][size=4][size=4]mortal sins.[size=4]....[/size][/size][/size]

Yes they have committed sins, that they can repent for. I would far rather seek god’s forgiveness for having a child outside of marriage than for killing my unborn baby.

Why shine the light mainly on the women? Where are the men to stand up for the part they have? Why do so many women stand alone when it took two to create life? Are men cowards now or does this "choice" mentality pollute men into being lazy?

IMO if God asks women to "submit" thereby putting men as the leaders of the family unit, the sin is heavier on their shoulders for this cultural abomination.

[quote="Giggly_Giraffe, post:7, topic:304290"]
Why shine the light mainly on the women? Where are the men to stand up for the part they have? Why do so many women stand alone when it took two to create life? Are men cowards now or does this "choice" mentality pollute men into being lazy?

IMO if God asks women to "submit" thereby putting men as the leaders of the family unit, the sin is heavier on their shoulders for this cultural abomination.

[/quote]

I agree.

[quote="Giggly_Giraffe, post:7, topic:304290"]

[/quote]

This is one of my pet peeves! Sorry for the sarcastic bluntness... but these women did NOT HAVE virgin births. There is a man involved, someone, even if only in the act of conception.

Men have to be taught that they have no respect for a woman they can "get something off of" and have a responsibility if a pregnancy occurs and step up to the plate. Real men have respect for women and "man-up".

Women have to be taught that "submitting" to a man out of wedlock is a sign of a lack of self-respect. You don't have to be pressured into having sex to prove your love by anyone!

This points out the need for ministry with young men in all communities

I think what is more important than damning these women, is giving them the support they need and deserve. We are human and we make mistakes. It is better on our part to focus on helping them and their children become better people through example.

A lot of these women honestly don't think they've done anything wrong. So telling them how sinful they are is only going to push them away from God and the Faith. It would be better for us to open our hearts and arms to them and let them willingly come and see God's Love.

We have no right to damn anyone, we too sin. Rubbing someone's sins in their face only causes us to sin as well.

[quote="coachdennis, post:9, topic:304290"]
This is one of my pet peeves! Sorry for the sarcastic bluntness... but these women did NOT HAVE virgin births. There is a man involved, someone, even if only in the act of conception.

Men have to be taught that they have no respect for a woman they can "get something off of" and have a responsibility if a pregnancy occurs and step up to the plate. Real men have respect for women and "man-up".

Women have to be taught that "submitting" to a man out of wedlock is a sign of a lack of self-respect. You don't have to be pressured into having sex to prove your love by anyone!

This points out the need for ministry with young men in all communities

[/quote]

I agree.

So does President Obama. youtube.com/watch?v=5it57oqlZeA

Well, the women and men who have had premarital sex have committed sins, but so have the rest of us. We are all (other than Christ and Mary) sinners and we all fall short of the glory of God. We all need to repent and need redemption. We are no better than these unwed mothers or fathers. I always find it funny how much people focus on the sins of other people especially when it comes to sexual sin. We need to start focusing on our own sins instead of always pointing the finger.

.....Or we can focus on the promotion of holiness in our lives and promoting it in our communities of faith..

[quote="robotsarecool, post:12, topic:304290"]
Well, the women and men who have had premarital sex have committed sins, but so have the rest of us. We are all (other than Christ and Mary) sinners and we all fall short of the glory of God. We all need to repent and need redemption. We are no better than these unwed mothers or fathers. I always find it funny how much people focus on the sins of other people especially when it comes to sexual sin. We need to start focusing on our own sins instead of always pointing the finger.

[/quote]

..Says the finger pointer. ;)

[quote="Cariethra, post:10, topic:304290"]
I think what is more important than damning these women, is giving them the support they need and deserve. We are human and we make mistakes. It is better on our part to focus on helping them and their children become better people through example.

A lot of these women honestly don't think they've done anything wrong. So telling them how sinful they are is only going to push them away from God and the Faith. It would be better for us to open our hearts and arms to them and let them willingly come and see God's Love.

We have no right to damn anyone, we too sin. Rubbing someone's sins in their face only causes us to sin as well.

[/quote]

This ^. So many men and women who have premarital sex, like Saint Augustine, go on to live good lives that honor God. Instead of damning them and shunning them, we need to help them and remember we are sinners as well.

P.S. Women are the ones who have the sign of premarital sex (getting pregnant) and tend to deal with way more people looking down on them then the men do. Also most women I know who have had this happen to them end up being single Mom's (because the Dad runs out on them) and turning their life around. God can use these bad situations to bring people to Him.

For me this topic is one of the greatest examples of the practical wisdom of the Church's teachings on sexual behaviour and the family- sex outside of marriage can have terrible consequences for all concerned, as often women and children are abandoned, and men in their weakness run away. Then the women get unfairly burdened and stigmatized, the kids are more likely to be poor, and the father faces either one form of regret or another.
It makes me sad to see this happen. I used to believe in the secular morality, and now I can see that in de-sanctifying and cheapening our relationships to each other, it allows us to treat life as one big option and to treat women as a form of recreation.
The Church was right about so many things- I wish I had known this when I was younger.

[quote="Friday_child, post:6, topic:304290"]
Yes they have committed sins, that they can repent for. I would far rather seek god's forgiveness for having a child outside of marriage than for killing my unborn baby.

[/quote]

There is no sin in having a child outside of Marriage. Having a child is NEVER a sin. A child is always a blessing. The sin is have sexual relations outside of marriage. It's important we differentiate the two. Making girls and women feel shame for being pregnant when they are not married is why many abort! But the shame should not be about being pregnant, but about sexual promiscuity. There are a couple of million families wanting to adopt, but they can't find a baby/child because they have all been aborted:(

[quote="hank3fan, post:17, topic:304290"]
For me this topic is one of the greatest examples of the practical wisdom of the Church's teachings on sexual behaviour and the family- sex outside of marriage can have terrible consequences for all concerned, as often women and children are abandoned, and men in their weakness run away. Then the women get unfairly burdened and stigmatized, the kids are more likely to be poor, and the father faces either one form of regret or another.
It makes me sad to see this happen. I used to believe in the secular morality, and now I can see that in de-sanctifying and cheapening our relationships to each other, it allows us to treat life as one big option and to treat women as a form of recreation.
The Church was right about so many things- I wish I had known this when I was younger.

[/quote]

Yes. You've summarized pretty much what Pope Paul VI warned about in Humanae Vitae. The widespread acceptance of contraception was supposed to liberate women. Instead, it liberated men from responsibility, and destroyed the foundation of the family.

Forty percent of births are to unmarried women, and those babies are a blessing. For one thing, out of wedlock births are the only thing that keeps the U.S. fertility rate barely above replacement level. Without them, we would be in a depopulation spiral with hugely adverse economic consequences.

On the other hand, single parent households, cohabitation, and casual sex are undermining the family as the most basic unit of human civilization. That hurts women, children, men, and society. It hurts education and social structure. Without two parent families, the stability of our civilization will crumble. So, while I'm glad that those children are not being aborted, the current trend toward unstable families means that our society will inevitably decline.

[quote="Regina_Love, post:18, topic:304290"]
There is no sin in having a child outside of Marriage. Having a child is NEVER a sin. A child is always a blessing. The sin is have sexual relations outside of marriage. It's important we differentiate the two. Making girls and women feel shame for being pregnant when they are not married is why many abort! But the shame should not be about being pregnant, but about sexual promiscuity. There are a couple of million families wanting to adopt, but they can't find a baby/child because they have all been aborted:(

[/quote]

That is what I meant sorry I was not very clear, it is a sin I myself was guilty of and sought forgiveness for :( xxxx

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.