40th anniversary of film "The Godfather"

I think it’s a very well made film, very interesting plot and characters.

Any fans?
Which characters do you find interesting?

Anyone dislike the film?

Favorite quotes?

:popcorn:

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:1, topic:275737"]
I think it's a very well made film, very interesting plot and characters.

Any fans?

Anyone dislike the film?

Favorite quotes?

[/quote]

My brother loves it...quotes from it....he also is a fan of "Scarface".....I do not like the "Godfather" series...nor "Scarface".....never was able to sit thru any all the way thru.

Any fans?

Anyone dislike the film?

Favorite quotes?

[/quote]

My favorite scene is the wedding. And James Caan wasn't hard on the eye :blushing:. The ambiance of the film remains with me more so than any particular character or line, although a number of lines have become cultural memes.

What I can't believe is that it's been 40 years. Gosh, I'm getting old!

Luna

I have the DVD box set of all 3 films that was released in 2001. Haven’t watched it in a while.

I was always a big fan of the guy who played Luca Brasi, unfortunately he wasn't in the movie that long. I heard the story on the actor was that he was a legitimate mafia enforcer for one of the mobsters that FF Coppola sourced information for the movie from. He filled in for a sick actor and they like him so much that they gave him a role in the movie, after that his acting career took off.

Anyway, The Godfather IMHO is the greatest movie of all time. Brando's best role ever. I can't really think of a favorite scene or quote, probably the sequence when Vito learns that Sonny is dead. I just love watching Luca give his speech to Vito as well.

[quote="Kenny_Kamel, post:5, topic:275737"]
I was always a big fan of the guy who played Luca Brasi, unfortunately he wasn't in the movie that long. I heard the story on the actor was that he was a legitimate mafia enforcer for one of the mobsters that FF Coppola sourced information for the movie from. He filled in for a sick actor and they like him so much that they gave him a role in the movie, after that his acting career took off.

Anyway, The Godfather IMHO is the greatest movie of all time. Brando's best role ever. I can't really think of a favorite scene or quote, probably the sequence when Vito learns that Sonny is dead. I just love watching Luca give his speech to Vito as well.

[/quote]

I just read that the actor who blayed Luca was a former pro-wrestler. I had heard a similar story about Joe Pesci before "Goodfellows" but i'm not sure how to verify.

"May their first child be a masculine child." :D

“Leave the gun, take the cannoli.” How can you not love that?

I love the movie, but they've been playing non-stop on account of the anniversary so now I'm kind of sick of it.

[quote="MrZoom, post:4, topic:275737"]
I have the DVD box set of all 3 films that was released in 2001. Haven't watched it in a while.

[/quote]

3? 3? Nope, you can't count the third one. :shrug:

This is a very unpopular opinion, but I'm going to express it anyway. The Godfather part 3 for me is one of my favorite movies. There's a lot of catholic involvement in the movie all throughout, and it's an imagined account of a Pope's death in 1979. Also it brings the story of Michael Corleone full circle, and shows how he ends of paying for his sins and what becomes of this powerful and rich man in the end.

Lots of people don't like that 3rd movie. IMO without it, the other 2 are incomplete.

Any fans?

[/quote]

HOLLER!

[/quote]

Michael, of course, but also Sonny, the Godfather, and Kay.

Anyone dislike the film?

[/quote]

I like the second film, but I really prefer the first.

Favorite quotes?

[/quote]

"I'll reason with him."

It is certainly the best film trilogy ever made. Did anyone try the pasta sauce in Godfather One?

(aside for Star Wars fans–SW has great special effects but the acting, plot, character development are simply not in the same league as The Godfather series)

[quote="PoliSciProf, post:12, topic:275737"]
It is certainly the best film trilogy ever made. Did anyone try the pasta sauce in Godfather One?

(aside for Star Wars fans--SW has great special effects but the acting, plot, character development are simply not in the same league as The Godfather series)

[/quote]

With the meatballs, sausage, tomatoes wine and sugar?

I never, ever put in sugar, especially in a meat sauce. A pinch of cinnamon, though is good.

[quote="thomasf, post:10, topic:275737"]
This is a very unpopular opinion, but I'm going to express it anyway. The Godfather part 3 for me is one of my favorite movies. There's a lot of catholic involvement in the movie all throughout, and it's an imagined account of a Pope's death in 1979. Also it brings the story of Michael Corleone full circle, and shows how he ends of paying for his sins and what becomes of this powerful and rich man in the end.

Lots of people don't like that 3rd movie. IMO without it, the other 2 are incomplete.

[/quote]

I never was able to get into it...maybe I'll try again.

Also it brings the story of Michael Corleone full circle, and shows how he ends of paying for his sins and what becomes of this powerful and rich man in the end.

But I feel that, by the end of the second film, he had already pretty much lost everything he loved. So hadn't we already seen how he paid for his sins?

I heard that the planned Godfather III, got delayed for some reason, and that was the reason for its lower quality. That and Sofia Coppola :D

I enjoyed the first film quite a bit. The second one was a bit long for me. I've only watched them once and that was about two years ago I think. Does anyone think the baptism scene in the first film is sacrilegious? That is really the only thing that keeps me from watching it again.

[quote="SGTTOM, post:17, topic:275737"]
I enjoyed the first film quite a bit. The second one was a bit long for me. I've only watched them once and that was about two years ago I think. Does anyone think the baptism scene in the first film is sacrilegious? That is really the only thing that keeps me from watching it again.

[/quote]

I don't see it as sacrilegious. The whole point of the scene is to demonstrate, in a powerful way, that Michael Corleone is a hypocrite of the first order.

None of the films were rated Morally Offensive by the USCCB's film office. The first two received an A-III - Adults and the third received an A-IV - Adults, with reservations (that rating was later replaced with the current L, Limited Adult Audience.)

All three are my favorite movies ever. Part 2 especially.

[quote="Diotima, post:15, topic:275737"]
But I feel that, by the end of the second film, he had already pretty much lost everything he loved. So hadn't we already seen how he paid for his sins?

[/quote]

Nope. IMO he still ends up non-remorseful at the end of the 2nd movie. He might be losing his wife and brother, but he still isn't repentant about any of his actions. We see him remorseful and somewhat repentant about his sins in 3, and in the end he's a broken man for having lost his daughter and finally having some of the evil he perpetrated touching his life. All that money and power and he dies a broken old man in a courtyard with the dogs. IMO that's pretty powerful.

I've been watching the movies all week. Greatest trilogy ever.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.